Understanding the Relationship between BG composition and Skill Level

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by newsbuff, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

General lacking of maximum smarts.

2. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Ok since FS faction is such an utter Firking piece of Bane Shift why dont u the god of all knowledge tell me what is the most difficult deck to play and what faction its in? I would like to know so i can start practicing.

3. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

Hmm... If I had to guess... I'd say you play...

SL!

4. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

thanks makorov. Now which deck in SL is the most difficult in your opinion?

5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

insects, if we're going off of pre-mades and themes.

old-style dragons could give them a run for their money though (but that's basically shoebox-the deck at this point)

i do agree, by the way, that fs and sp are easier to manage in general. i've certainly not played all factions, but fs/sp are both just more forgiving in my experience and it does come precisely down to their nora bonuses.

sl isn't exactly hard, in fact it's rather straightforward at its core, but the goalposts tend to get moved around a lot by design and opposition.

if that makes sense.

profhulk likes this.
  6. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

thank you dagda. Words of wisdom. Insects :D.

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Skywings are hard to manage

You stare at their awesome for full minute every round and then realise it's your turn

Taylor likes this.
  8. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Skywing patrol looks like a lot of fun to play with his relic that u can deploy champs out of.

9. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I don't think playing a non meta deck is necessarily a big disadvantage. Of course, if you are simply running bad runes then it will, but if you have designed a deck to take advantage of synergy which isn't present in meta runes then you have a good chance -- whether it's a theme deck or one that uses particular rune interactions. Often decks like this have the advantage of surprise.

The other point is that any deck becomes better the more you play it and understand how to use it.

10. iodomy

iodomy Member

Charts with numbers you just made up aren't actually particularly illustrative. If you actually want to help players who are struggling with this, a more useful discussion would probably be about what makes a BG meta vs. meta-tweaked vs. meta+theme and so on. What are the mandatory components, what ratios to shoot for, what kind of synergy to look for, etc. Shame we don't have the meta report happening anymore; it certainly had its flaws but it would be a good resource if you were really interested in doing this.

StupidJerk likes this.
  11. iodomy

iodomy Member

It's hard to count, we keep quitting. Maybe half a dozen active in the past few months?

12. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

I am a daltos IRL.

13. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I think you have wonderful ideas about how to help players build better decks. Unfortunately, that lies outside the scope of this particular thread. My only point for this thread and the chart with the numbers that I just made up was to describe the principle that, while BG composition can give you an advantage or disadvantage, that skill level is still as important or more important - and that, for lower-skilled players who have room to improve, instead of constantly complaining about OP runes or a stale meta, that we should instead focus on improving our skills - especially if we consistently refuse to play the meta.

14. Faust

Faust Devotee of the Blood Owl

StupidJerk likes this.
  15. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Yes, my objective in creating the chart was to trick you all into thinking I had invented a scientific algorithm to be literally applied in all situations.

I underestimated how clever you were, and you have seen through my ruse. The day is yours.

iPox and StupidJerk like this.
  16. iodomy

iodomy Member

That's a totally fine point and I'm sure your heart is in the right place with this thread. It's just that you wrote lots of words and assembled a graph for a one-sentence point, and even if you're not tinydragon yet I bet you could offer some more useful advice to fellow new players. Or advice that's so bad it prompts someone else to come in and correct you, also a totally valid approach.

The other major point I'd make is that throughout Pox's lifespan, there have been quite a few cases where constant complaining got things nerfed while ludicrously OP stuff nobody whined about slid by untouched, so constant complaining may actually be an important public service. Also it makes baskitkase's blood pressure go up, which is definitely an important public service. Delete IS.

The bunny is definitely a robot.

17. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I appreciate that you think I should have written my post differently, shorter, without the graph, etc. and spent my time making a thread complaining about OP runes or offering advice to new players instead. Thank you for your feedback.

I'll try to take your suggestions into consideration before I waste my time making any further pointless posts or charts.

18. Taylor

Taylor I need me some PIE!

FS SO EASY.... the day I see Iajabmaka win a mediocre player with FS.

19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

dude free nora faction bonus, how can you not win?

20. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

DAAAAAAYUUUUMMMM bro...

I can tell you didn't read the whole thing.

But since your claiming FS takes any skill, how many instakills combo's has FS gotten over the course of the game?

Drown
    Feeding frenzy
    Spore pox+ dispell
    Hippos stampede
    ON demand MEtamorph

Blink chasm existed for like 1 week. Guess FS only deserves instant death from its spells.

21. Taylor

Taylor I need me some PIE!

right. +6 nora a turn. UD faction bonus +4 damage and +2 for range; That in ability terms is more than +6 nora. ST +10hp that is more than 6 nora. KF +1speed+2ap that is more than 6 nora. Most factions have better bonus' if you look at it from a different perspective.

profhulk likes this.