Unsleeved media banned for life

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ragic, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I don’t need a digital shrine to myself. But thanks for asking.

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

So as long as Christian bakers can refuse services to gays, that's cool.

But refusing to do business with someone who is hurting your brand? MUH FREEDOM

3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I'm with you up to this point.

The relationship between 'youtuber' and games company isn't as simple as this, it it isn't really covered by any precedent i know.

For a professional youtuber they have elements of a advertiser, promoter, or media partnership, as well as a customer - so you can see why they would want to control the sort of image that they put out there.

I don't know anything about this 'unsleeved media' person, I'm going to assume that they would consider themselves 'alt right' and tend to put out that sort of content, and the chosen name suggests that they see themselves as a brand. If this assumption is wrong i apologise.

I can imagine how frustrating it must be for MtG to see someone promoting a culture which they don't want to be associated with, alongside their brand. If it was a traditional media partnership they would safeguard against this in their contract, but they don't yet have provision for this.

So i guess that they are taking the option to disassociate themselves with him through the only means available. I don't know if this is 'right' or not but i see their problem.

4. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Do you want a future where all companies are either right wing or left wing and consumers are forbidden from doing business outside of their political affiliation? That's the direction we're heading.

5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I want a future where companies don't co-operate with nazis.
    so how alt right was he?

6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Ofcourse its right wing hypocrisy

7. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

u
    CxCLIDoWgAAFfDV.jpg

profhulk likes this.
  8. badgerale

If this was a traditional media partnership there would likely be a clause that said 'don't be political', and he would have broken it. So this situation isn't anything new. He could have made a channel about the game, not the game+right wing politics but he chose to combine them.

For a mainstream example, someone like Jeremy Clarkson (or whatever the US equivalent is) courts rightwing sentiment as part of his image -- a company can choose to use work with him or not, but it is a serious decision because it will alienate a lot of potential customers. MtG didn't initially get that choice, and when it felt it was becoming damaging to them they cut the relationship.

I have some sympathy that an equivalent person on the social-left probably wouldn't have got as strong a reaction, because that position, for better or worse, does not have the same associations among the majority of people.

9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

if you could read ( something somehow doubtfull) you'd see that I did not call the person a **** or hitler, , in fact i have called no one that in a while. read again and apologize for being an idiot.

10. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

>guy gets banned for life for criticizing a cosplayer
    yuo: "HE'S A N@ZI!! KILL HIM!"

profhulk likes this.
  11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

can you stop jerking yourself off for a second and come live in reality with us.

12. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

So just going to the example at hand WotC for a long time had tried to increase market development amongst female audiences. "Unsleaved" damaged that capacity in large part be attacking someone viewed by WotC as a positive influencer for this goal. I see nothing odd about this at all.

I will also point out that this is by no means unusual for WotC, over the years multiple players have been banned for damage to the character of the company.

There was a comment earlier about nothing like this happening with pox, again fairly certain this is incorrect. If you have been around for a while you may remember the Revi scandal, I am fairly confident (though not 100% sure) that this lead to banning(s) of players involved, at a minimum there was action taken. I am also pretty sure there have been other incidents that led to users being banned but cannot think of them offhand.

Perhaps it is simply more obvious with gaming companies because of the nature of the product? It really isn't significantly different from the store that has pictures of known shoplifters behind the counter.

profhulk and BurnPyro like this.
  13. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Now this point makes cents. I can empathize with the company when you put it like that. “ Finally we have broken through to the female demographic and women are showing interest in our game.....” “ Oh snap this unsleeved ****** is ruining this for us quick ban him!” When you reframe the argument and remove the militant psycho sjw garbage and say this is about sales my level of objectivity increases. I can’t stand beta lefty cry bullies and new wave feminism. I still side with the unsleeved guy though. He called out this lame beggar for what she was doing and she used her lady powers to destroy him instead of growing a thicker skin and telling him to move out of his parents basement and get a job.

14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

this means you couldn't make that connection yourself?

that is a question regarding how you view things but newsbuff is going to think I just insulted your intelligence because he's simple like that.

BurnPyro likes this.
  15. Ragic

http://itclixsocial.com/y/aScth6IIJgs

not a lot of new info in this but a point that was made early in the video that I hadn't considered is the fact that this guy was a Whale. I doubt a game as big as MtG needs its whales the same way poxnora did, but its an interesting question. Would you invest thousands of dollars (tens of thousands even) on a game that has shown it is willing to confiscate all of your assets without any sort of due process or appeal (or refund)? I'm not suggesting that whales should get special treatment, but I would think care should be taken to at least offer fair treatment. anyway, this issue isn't just a couple of nerds raging from their moms basement. professional people are involved and there is a lot of money at stake. will be interesting to watch how this plays out.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  16. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I haven't been following this, was this MtG Online? If not, they didn't confiscate his assets, they only stopped him from playing in any sponsored event. He would still be able to play with friends and at game shops.

17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I am also very interested when Mike Pence is going to admit that he was wrong here too. Gays are "whales" too, so much capital. I guess Indiana is so rich, they don't need their money.

Except gays weren't slandering every Christian shop they are refused service from.

18. Ragic

19. badgerale

Geressen and Etherielin like this.
  20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Whenever I hear someone try and make the argument that straight while males are being disenfranchised I tap out.

I like Boogie's videos, but the crazy is too much.