Upcoming ranged champ nerfs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scathex, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

I sometimes see jangar architect

specific bg: elven ancestor / garu hurler
    mysian lamia?

(coincidentally 2 of those have preparation)

2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Mysian Lamia is problematic because of the shrinking, rather than anything else.

3. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I also thought of jangar architect, but I can't really consider him problematic. He just does what he does. The other two are completely different, since they are usually built with preparation. In any case, my point is that a lot of the 2-4 and especially 3-4 range units are fairly expensive and in some cases weak (Check Seeker of the Source)

4. Scathex

Scathex Member

I wasnt thinking they were problematic within the 2-4 range I was just thinking they should have an adjustment too if 3-5 range champs were going to get hit. I didnt propose as big an adjustment as 3-5. I just felt a scale of nerfs punishing longer ranges more would have a better impact on the balance when compared to what sok said.

5. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

No they shouldn't. We want to see more of them, not less.

6. Scathex

Scathex Member

if people are all agreeing that range 4 champs shouldnt be touched I guess I can amend my proposal to remove them. the point is I want to see longer ranges get hit harder than 4-5.

7. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

4-5 is a good starting point, I'm not sure if they need to be hit more. It is certainly possible that if you nerf range too much you open up a new can of worms where melee and melee counters which are not long range dominate the game.

Vorian and doubtofbuddha like this.
  8. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Personally even if a faction has 4-5 meta ranged units I only include 3 of them x2, as you need a lot of melee to soak up and deal damage... The only time range becomes a problem is when a faction has spells or abilities that cause ensnare. Atm you can run like 4-5 ranged units if your faction has ensnare spells, try running 4-5 different ranged units x2 with SP and you are stuffed ... Personally I find ensnare to be too powerful against melee units... Most of the time you can just charge down range heavy decks with ur melee units, and kill the squishy bastards...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  9. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Any ranged unit that has 3-4 or 4-5 or 2-3 should not be touched in anyway shape or form, those ranges are Bane Shift to begin with. I honestly don't have as big of a problem with range anymore, the issue with range is were giving too many factions too many ways to boost damage anymore.

Example: Dwarven Hooligan starts off with 10 damage at 5 range

Commander from an allied dwarf puts him at 12 damage
    in range of battlemaster now at 14 damage
    sermon comes out add another 2 damage for a total of 16 damage
    Forge hammer for kicks- 20 damage
    Banner- 21 damage
    Dwarven handler is deployed for regal and drive- 25 damage
    Battle drum- Another 3 damage- 28 damage

This is basically all runes that are ran maybe excluding handler, and i'm not even including spells. The problem with range is we give them way too many ways to pump up damage. Then again 6 of that damage is also coming globally from abilities and a relic, global abilities are a problem in every facet of this game.

Vorian likes this.
  10. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

I agree! Dont forget holy armaments to make it 31 damage. I think ranged dots rank 2+ are too powerful! However I think range in general isnt OP.

11. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

from the cactuar:

SHORT-TERM STUFF
    This section is for items that are under consideration.

RNG champs adjustments
    Most likely most will see 2-4 increases
    I'll start with champs with 5+ range and work down

DOTs
    Remove secondary effects
    DOTs will be limited to Rank 1 on champions with 4+ range