Vex

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by profhulk, Mar 20, 2014.

1. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Needs immortal changed to something else so as not to shoebox her or have a smaller aoe for wellspring. Broken design. Almost abused as bad as aspect of growth. Her present design encourages camping, and mass bodyguarding with temple guard. I am able to kill her its the idea that she keeps coming back, and her aoe is so big for wellspring.

2. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

I really hate playing against Vex. I just wish she wasn't able to get so many damn charges.

3. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

Is this another "I lost against blank champ and it was annoying so I'm going to vent" forum thread? Cause it sounds like one :p

4. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

Oh you shush. :)

5. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Except for vex is beyond broken, the ability It gives it's user is beyond ridiculous. It singlehanded ly wins games. Not being able to kill the units your opponent is stuffing in your face is bad enough but the fact that she can be 8 spaces away and still protect champions from dying is not what pox is about.

Wellspring should be range 1-4 simple. And she should also not have immortal.

6. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Yeah, some issues with her that make playing against her a torture.

7. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

This would be a big step towards making her less of a pain to face.

8. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

IMO this is the best route, you can still phalanx the Bane Shift out of vex but it leaves her open to being smashed into the face, and with the removal of immortal it makes it that much better to deal with. As vex stands she's a solid champ with alt dmg, nice hp pool and good dmg output. With the rest of her shinnagins she becomes far to much.

9. Emries

The point of having it as 8 and not 4 range, in my perspective, is because of the dominance of ranged (thus knockbacked or mass-shot-down and making the unique ability worthless) and how a phalanx of 4 square radius is just asking to be bombed / spelled / breathed / coned/ aoe'd. I'd be ok with 6 or 7 but not lower than 6 for that reason. Vex is designed to keep Drakar phalanx alive imo and not be in the center of them since phalanx-style hasn't really worked since 2010. Anything less than 6 would actually be getting in the way of the actual phalanx - ruining that playstyle as well. In that respect, Vex could probably keep the range of her ability to 7 for more risk (a lot less ranged units has 8 range or 7 range and 7+ speed / hit n run ability) but streamline the rest of her kit to be the support rune Vex should be like removing Flamethrower (and other stuff) for Soften / Enduring Aura and changing the Heals to be a rank higher than 1 (and tone down to the cost a bit if so since over 90 nora supports never make the cut in any deck regardless of effectiveness, especially not Hero supports).
    A support for a phalanx formation simply does not work at 4 range.

Proposed Change starts here: Thus, what would be interesting would be changing Vex to range 7 Divine Wellspring, Tough 2 (or Shroud or Nexus Aura as an upgrade), Regen 2, Healing Breath 1 (with higher rank as upgrade), Enduring Aura rank something, and Empathy (with maybe Enlightened as an upgrade) on base so she could ONLY be a phalanx support long range or short range instead of a hybrid. Deploy Charged 1 instead of 2 - or 1.5 if that's possible (Charged as last upgrade) :p

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  10. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

Vex just needs to be remade into a champ that is far less gimmicky. Rework such that she actually sees play in the higher tiers of play and doesn't steamroll in the lower tiers.

I had a whole post written up that ended up sounding rather condescending and antagonistic so we'll just leave it at rework her.

Kampel likes this.
  11. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Honestly I want to punch people that try and defend vex it's not about phalanx when she can just sit back, the only ranged units that can hit her without moving are: lk/Arrowsinger/treantlauncher/keen eyed units. She's just a laugh in your opponents face unit at this point. Your suggested 6-7 isn't a change at all, it still allows for an extremely uphill battle for the opponent, sl has nice defense as it is, why the gods name where they given pseudo immortality with wellspring. It baffles me that people think this unit is ok, btw I can tell when someone's being a zealot and your sir are doing one hell of a job.

With wellspring @1-4 you still get to be an ******* and laugh, but now you will have to actually think about what your opponent can do against you vs parking her at max range and thinking you got skill. These types of things are extremely bad for the game and I will fight to the death to bring vex down. I rarely face her because people have some common courtesy... But when Ido I want to smash babies in the face with dugons fist.

12. Emries

Frankly, it just sounds like it's your personal pet-peeve rune now. Calm down. Everyone has one and sometimes it makes your judgement a bit flawed but I'll try again since I get that it's the Teemo of your life (I don't actually use Vex cause gimmicky and boring).

Imagine a phalanx. This is a formation that is inherently cluttered because they need to be within 2 spaces of each rune to receive the full benefit of a phalanx. It is not a line. Now look at the formation. Most of the time, it'll be similar to a 4 man square (larger squares takes too many champs to be realistic) or a 5 man cross. This will take 2 to 3 spaces. Now if Vex were 1-4 range, she'd have to be right behind this phalanx - and 2x2 giant target at that. This means knockback damage and aoes galore since she has no defensive abilities at all. It also promotes a lot of units dying at once in the same place - making Divine Wellspring a negative ability since it won't build up and influences your playstyle in a poor manner. Now realize that a phalanx is almost always melee - Especially in SL and Draksar given the runes. This means that the current phalanx formation is now exactly 5-6 spaces in width/length - the most common and feasible range for any ranged unit and any unit with an AoE ability!

Yeah, it doesn't work unless Vex is reworked while lowered to 1-4 range. And when I say reworked, I mean a rework focused on both Support and Survivability of Vex herself instead of just a simple Support rework for 1-6/7 range. I mean it'd look like Unstoppable + Tough 3 + 3 Base Def + Shroud + Colossal + Healing Breath 2 + Enduring Aura + Regen 3 + Enlightened with Empathy as an upgrade. It might even need Roar of the Fallen or Xulos' exit ability as an upgrade! It would look and play HIDEOUSLY design-wise. Nothing smooth about it at all, just so it can fulfill and survive the role of being a Melee range phalanx support (cause that's what 1-4 wellspring range essentially does) for a Hero worthy cost. It's just too much and hardly supports the trend towards leaner (ability-wise) champs/kits.

I'm going to redirect your attention to my previous post about a change to solely support if we were to keep Divine Wellspring's effect as-is (with various debates ranges). At least it limits her to a singular role that supports a singular theme / play style :p

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

This thread again

14. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Wellspring is just so blatantly op tho. It should have a huge set back for the insane advantage it gives to it's ally, that's all I'm saying

15. Emries

Currently, the set back is that it has to be charged by deploys which are a limited supply for both players. However, this makes the set back situational and draw-dependent because the faster you draw Vex and put it down, the more effective it becomes. Alternatively, this means she's terrible if drawn late because no charges. This is the set back design.
    However, having a set back designed to be situational is never good for the game or consistent. If we want to keep Vex hybrid-y role-wise like now but still make her set back more evident and less luck-based (which is never good for both players in the game at the same time), we can't simply reduce her to Deploy Charged 1. We would need her to have a different way to gain charges completely - one more controlled and interactive - and remove Deploy Charged.

Spell charged is Too weak and controlled and less phalanx-styled but I think Death Charged 2 (so each death means 1 save) is both interesting control-wise and lore-wise (death of one draksar phalanx soldier for the life of another). It would also mean things are gradually and actually dying :p

16. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Maybe a redesign could be good for Vex but other than that not to much of a problem. First summoning Vex is a huge bet you need to be sure you can have 8 charges and if for any reason Vex gets 1 rounded which in most cases someone will try to do, you probably have all your champs in harms way and they are gonna die and you wasted over 100 nora on vex likely not going to summon her again not that big of a deal worse champions than Vex come on.

17. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Wellspring could become an equip. It would consume the champs charges (so no range, only works in self) and after X ammount of procs it breaks.

And Vex completly reworked to do something else not boring like the current one

18. theKraken

theKraken I need me some PIE!

What if wellspring was something like deploy charged 1. 8 charges, Select unit when selected unit it's destroyed it respawns next to vex at 50% hp as long as it is within 8 spaces this ability remains hidden

19. Emries

That's basically Cast: Escape Magic for every 4 champions deployed. It'd still be pretty bad, arguably worse than now due to Regeneration from the fonts/shrine. I think Death Charged 2 instead of Deploy Charged at all would be for the best - less snowbally charge-wise :p

20. theKraken

theKraken I need me some PIE!

Yeah I hadn't thought much on charge balance but I felt the mechanic was fitting