Viable gimmick bgs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edmek55555, Jan 28, 2017.

1. edmek55555

edmek55555 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Anyone know of any bgs that center around an odd or niche ability but are still viable?

For example, would a chasm bg be viable of you have a couple units with create chasm and a bunch of champions with knockback?

2. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Viable gimmick is an oxymoron. That said, try a simple shrine kill deck.

3. edmek55555

I can't speak for the viability of gimmicks in this game, but in other games gimmicks have been some of the most effective playstyles.

Shrine kill decks seem cool but I feel like I would get incredibly frustrated using one due to avatars just running all over the place

4. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Knock back into chasm doesn't work anymore. Create chasm and dominate/ any other possess still works, and is pretty good.

5. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

This game doesn't favor gimmick decks, if that helps. You can always win with nearly any deck because it is a card game, however, the odds are against the player who sets himself up to be countered easily.

6. edmek55555

I never knew you couldn't knockbacl into chasms. But possession certainly seems effective though many units are immune.

That makes sense. Gimmicks aren't viable on every game though I guess you could argue that many popular bgs are gimmicks such as aquatic based forglar decks.

7. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

KF/SL time slip aspect is alright

8. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

Gimmicks only work as long as your opponent doesn't know the trick

Xirone likes this.
  9. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

If you get good at it, x2 Hatching Season + x1 Awaken Brood can rip up opposing shrines.

10. edmek55555

I totally agree. But the secret to a good gimmick is the opponent doesnt know the trick until its too late

11. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

True, but if the gimmick is Egg Bombs for example, as Xirone mentioned, that deck has been around for ages and a lot of older veterans will probably sniff it out. The real problem is that a lot of these decks don't usually work against the same person twice, so once word spreads around enough, everyone will know your trick and be prepared for it.

12. edmek55555

That's fair. I hope once I get more used to the game I will come up with some amusing ideas. In WoW and pokemon I was the gimmick master when I got bored lol

13. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

You may be able to find some youtube videos of iPox games. The dude only plays trick decks or decks that bend the rules.

14. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

@iPox help these guys out.

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Gimmick, in the sense that I have used it and heard it used, means "a strategy or tactic that has a guaranteed and simple counter based purely on the opponent's knowledge of the situation." With that understanding, gimmick tactics will occasionally work, but gimmick strategies are inherently noncompetitive at a high level. If you are talking about something else when you use the word "gimmick," then maybe there are viable gimmick decks, but I would argue that no, there are none right now, and there cannot be any.

16. edmek55555

I would consider a gimmick to be something that takes advantage of a lesser used, generally unassuming ability, or combination. For example, if there were enough cards for it, running an all lethal poison deck to quickly get to 4 stacks and kill things without having to deal real damage.

17. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

There are quite a few viable gimmick decks in the game right now. Cataclysm is easily the strongest but the list includes:

FW/UD shrinekill (based mostly around ethereal pool, spell trap)
    UD/x flame surge (fire phoenix, imp familiar)
    KF/SP/UD/IS (pick 2 out of 4) shrine rush (based on a few buffed siege champs with things like bag of boulders and stealth or relocate: ally to get them into position)
    FS/UD cataclysm (deep leviathan, stitched librarian, sea song)
    UD/SP/KF firewall/knockback (much worse with the BE ban and likely redesign to a bunch of components)
    ST/IS bursticade (barricade, snowburst)
    FS/SP super aspect (ritual crone, aspect of chaos, sea song)
    SL/x superchamp (mostly aspect of violence)

There are a few other decks that need some new pieces in order to work, and you can expect to lose pretty often if your opponent figures out what you are up to. There are probably a bunch of interactions out there that nobody has pieced together yet as well, so experiment and have fun.

MaruXV likes this.