Video Games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IMAGIRL, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I usually check isthereanydeal.com, it's a pricing aggregator site.

2. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

lots of yummy info there, thnx peeps

so if I have galciv3 on steam and I buy a galciv3 DLC from gamersgate how does that work? do I get a code to download it from steam or do I download it from gamersgate and then galciv3 will just see it whenever I run it?

I ask because ive read about players who got a base game from GoG but had issues then getting dlc for that game through steam (more or less), bottom line there seemed to be compatibility issues between the various game sites. how would I check this?

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  3. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Gamersgate would likely provide specifically a code for Steam, but you can and should double-check all of this before making any purchases (Gamersgate tends to list what systems and DRM apply in the same section as they list system requirements, to the right of the description). If it does NOT provide a Steam code, that DLC is likely worthless to you until/unless you have a non-Steam version of GalCiv3 (if such a thing exists).

If you're looking at, for example: the Mercenaries expansion, it'll have this list of information:

The DRM portion says you need Steamworks, which means it will essentially be providing an activation key you can put into your Steam account (and is thus compatible with a Steamworks GalCiv3).

Be very careful to not mix things up on the same game. For example, don't try to apply a GoG version DLC to a Steam version game or a Steam version DLC to a GoG version game. It won't work. Make sure any DLC you get for a game corresponds properly to the DRM that you have for that game.

4. Ragic

roger that

5. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

It should be noted that HumbleBundle, at least the bundles themselves (I haven't ever tried their monthly subscription thing, and haven't double checked with store purchases), will tend to give you both DRM-free and Steam/Origin versions (where applicable). It will, again, generally tell you in a place you can see before making purchases.

6. Sokolov

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the versions are not compatible for multiplayer. Not an issue if you are purchasing the games to play SP, but if Multi is part of your intent, it's usually safest to get it from the same source as your friends.

Armello was one such where the GOG version could not play online with the Steam version.

7. Ragic

yeah ive heard those horror stories about other games too. fyi I started my first mp 4x the other day (aow3). simultaneous turns didn't bother me as much as I thought they would but waiting for someone who wants to fight every battle manually got a little old. id like to watch or at least do other actions on my turn but aow3 doesn't let you do much while the other guy is fighting. is that a common 4x mp thing?

8. Sokolov

Combat in 4X is always... problematic in some fashion.

But AOW3 is worse because:
    1. While someone is fighting it just freezes your client
    2. Combat takes a long time in that game compared to other 4X
    3. Auto-resolve is bad in AOW3 and causes unacceptable losses

9. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Same issue with Endless Legends wasn't it?

10. Sokolov

It does share some of the same issues - typically any tactical combat in 4X makes multiplayer horrible because of the time required (Warlock is an exception since it's tactical on the map level more like Civ, though both civ and warlock combat has their own issues in regards to MP).

I don't remember Endless Legend freezing the client when someone else is in combat though.

11. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

On sale again for $4.94 USD.

12. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Speaking of sales, the Stanley Parable is on sale for ~$3 USD on Steam. Worth a look.

13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Apparently GoG is having a (limited time?) option to, via proving your ownership of a Steam version of the game, add a GoG version to your GoG account. Limited selection of titles, but they say it'll grow. Thought it was relevant given recent conversations. In any event more details here: https://www.gog.com/connect

14. Sokolov

Man, with how hard I had to fight them to refund me on Armello when I couldn't play with my friends on Steam because I got it from them...

15. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Doesn't GoG have a "within 30 days no questions asked" refund policy? Or something like that? Think that's been in place since before Armello was released, but I could be wrong.

Unless I misunderstood you and you were trying to get a refund from Steam... in which case... yeah, good luck with that (though they did improve on some of their policy regarding such things recently-ish).

Personally I had a small problem with GoG where some of the games had disappeared from my online collection. Had to dig up my transaction history from my bank since the web-site record they had apparently vanished... this was after one of the times they were revamping the website itself and how some games were listed within an account's library (possibly during, though I hadn't noticed until a fair bit after).

Fortunately my records went back far enough and it looked like they were able to confirm it on their financial records... or they just got tired of me pestering them and gave me the games I had purchased figuring my story/persistence and the precise nature of my complaints was good enough.

I haven't actually tried to refund anything from them though.

16. Sokolov

Kind of? It only applies if there is a technical issue stopping you from the playing the game, and they will only give it to you after their team has had a chance to try and get it to work.

All they would do is give me a "one time per account" credit.

My argument was that while the game ran, the multiplayer aspect did not work as expected, even tho the game is listed as advertised as "cross platform" but apparently that just means PC vs Mac, and not PC vs PC if they have different sources and it's primarily a game intended for multiplayer and I only purchased it to player multiplayer.

People on the GOG forums basically agreed with GOG's initial decision not to refund me, saying that I can't expect multiplayer to work outside of GOG's Galaxy client even if developers mention multiplayer AND cross platform.

upload_2016-6-1_23-37-8.png

upload_2016-6-1_23-41-52.png

(When he says carefully, he means the buried stuff, not the basic stuff, took me a long time to find what he was referencing.)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  17. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

18. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Friendly reminder about the Steam Summer Sale that starts tomorrow.

19. Sokolov

*throws money*

(Ok, not really, I may buy ONE thing.)

20. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'm definitely getting Tabletop Simulator, I'm not sure what else. I've got $18.36 in my steam account. I hope the Sega bundles go on sale again, I missed it last time, and I really want Shining Force 1 and 2.