We need TV ads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zero, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Zero

Zero Active Member

Lack of advertisement for old games is a killer, I've seen plenty of them go away because no one remembered it or even knew about it. Games like Clash of Clans were controversial because people hated the market/P2W aspect, yet it is now one of the bigger mobile games. They advertised with 6+ ads that brought enough people in that would enjoy it. Poxnora can get this too if the trailers are really good, cost is the only problem. Can Poxnora afford to do TV ads?

2. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Do you know how much a 30 second AD on TV costs?
    Depending on popularity of time and channel , it could range from 20k to 300k.....

Morfeas likes this.
  3. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

They can't even hire a programmer, i doubt a cinematic trailer is written on their to do list.

4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Production budget would be around 50k per 20 seconds of cgi. That's not even taking into account the ad slots.

5. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Yeah, no. TV ads are simply unaffordable. Furthermore, it would hit the wrong audience with the wrong mindset. What we *do* need is ads on armorgames, crazymonkeygames and the like.

Morfeas, chickenpox2 and Kampel like this.
  6. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Shortsighted, thats the price on your country, you could easyly do it for 4k on other countries for the same or better quality or even hire cgi students and make them do it for even less. (im not counting TV time here, just the vid)

7. Zero

Zero Active Member

Website ads would be the next best thing. Making a deal with YouTubers would be possible, as long as they don't demand tons of money.

8. KPIC

KPIC Devotee of the Blood Owl

So, you guys are wrong. Late night ads would cost about $1,000.00. This would be low cost enough to create the ads, and you would reach enough players at that time to draw in some people.

9. Zero

Zero Active Member

We also don't NEED CGI, just show card art, gameplay, lore. That's usually enough to get those lazy chair-lords onto the website.

10. Boozha

A good point, YT is advertisement of the future. Deals with and coverage by TB have catapulted games from obscurity to fame.

11. Zero

Zero Active Member

TB doesn't do old games. Yogscast can do it as they did with Clash of Clans. There's multiple others that are in range for it.

12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Delusional

13. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

A few things, both to answer what is in this thread and some of the other threads like: http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php...to-voice-my-opinion-on-a-failing-policy.8849/

First, this is where the community sends mixed messages because we constantly hear contradicting arguments. "Don't launch on Steam the Game is not ready." versus "More money needs to be spent on advertising." We hear and understand all your concerns, but if we did everything the community wanted when they wanted far less would actually get done. Also, it would jeopardize the long term viability of the company. It comes down to Pox lasting a year or into perpetuity. We have plans going far into the future, but it is far to early to openly discuss them.

There are far more things going on behind the scenes for establishing the long-term viability of Pox Nora. Most of which can not be publicly discussed because that is the reality of the business behind the games industry. It is far from ideal from all of your points of view, but we tell all of you everything we are able when we are able. Also, there is the aspect that regardless of how open we are and what we do there will always be people who aren't satisfied. I am sure all of you can think of a few of those people right now.

When we tell all of you that we are cleaning up code and don't give any other updates it's because there really isn't much more to say. The code for the game after years of alterations, patches, and changes in initiatives is far from ideal, and this is part of the reason why some of you experience some oddities in the game. But, we can't just work on cleaning up the code for a year because then nobody would be playing, so we also add new content to the game. All of this works in cycles, there was a period where we worked on balance, then one where we worked on general quality of life content like the rewards system updating maps, and now we are in a code cleanup and business phase.

Others have posted that this is too big of a project and that Pox Nora is all doomed which is a pure logic fallacy. This is actually pretty typical for the game industry and smaller studios. We are focused on having sustained growth where we aren't constantly hiring and laying off employees because of the development cycle. This is a slower process in the short-term but this also means any additions to the team are permanent additions who will be working on Pox Nora.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    Gaedel, Woffleet, Oldmaster and 7 others like this.
  14. Boozha

Well, now that you DID launch on steam its time for advcertising. So its not a mixed message, it was a recommendation for a different course.

15. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

its still not ready yo,the game is broken

Anima26 likes this.
  16. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

We really need 1 more balance patch to sort out things like crytal dragon.

Xirone likes this.
  17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Two things:

First: Are you going to seriously tell me you can't tell the difference between some random guys random topic that is 100% unlrealistic and sound advise from people who know the game telling you not to launch yet on steam?

Second: Last time we failed a steam launch we had 1000 new players (numbers online at one time), this time we have about 200-250. So were we wrong in telling you to hold off on steam? Doesn't look that way.

I hope the period of code cleanup yields more positive results than the period of balancing. I'd like to look at this in another perspective, you started off right: You can't just [continually mismanage the game] for a year because then nobody would be playing...

Interesting. Question: How do you measure growth?

BurnPyro likes this.
  18. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

First, I am not saying we can't tell the difference I am just giving perspective as to what the community asks for on a daily basis versus the realities.
    Second, the environment on steam has drastically changed since the game launched the first time. This was a relaunch of a game that was already available and it didn't have the Sony brand to bring in the casual observer. For 2 days Pox was on the top 10 of the most popular new releases, which is a big feat on its own. There are a lot more games on on the platform and new ones being released every day that don't even last that long.

Gaedel likes this.
  19. Boozha

And most of those suck hard. You should apply higher standards to Pox, really.

Please, calm us rabble by answering at least one question: How many weeks from now do you plan on actually advertising? "We don't know yet" is not on the acceptable spectrum of answers.

SPiEkY likes this.
  20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Gedden has a policy of not giving out dates/timelines. He said he can't handle the fallout if he misses his deadline.