Wendigo - FW Zombie

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by allyorbase, Feb 28, 2014.

1. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Wendigo
    Forsaken Wastes
    Race: Mutant, Undead, Zombie
    Flavor: "No. Do not pity him. He was once human, it is true, but no more. He is only hunger, now."

Gist: A fast, rushy tank zombie. He is hard to nail down, hard to hit, and hard to endure at close range, especially if not killed quickly. High DMG, SPD, and survivability are his primary strengths. His primary weaknesses are in his vulnerability to fire, and his Psychotic Hunger ability, which is a boon and bane in one.

The Wendigo is larger and bulkier than a typical human, but clearly similar. It has grown coarse fur in patches across its body, and its misshapen face has elongated to accommodate a set of menacing, asymmetrical fangs. Its extremities are far less human than ghoulish. Its skin is pockmarked with rot. In his art, he carries a limp, lifeless human in his arms -- his mouth agape and prepared for a meal.

Class: Rogue Warrior

DMG: 13
    SPD: 7
    DEF: 2
    RNG: 1
    HP: 54

Cost: 75

Attack: Physical
    Boon of the Undead
    Devour
    Psychotic Hunger (passive)
    After 6 turns in play, this unit is destroyed. Whenever this unit destroys a real champion, the countdown resets. If the destroyed champion was an enemy, this unit also gets +2 DMG and -1 DEF.
    Unstoppable
    Vulnerability: Fire
    Shadowspawn
    Zombie Apocalypse

Upgrades:
    Blood Rage
    Life Siphon
    Psychotic Break
    Stealth

The why's:
    This guy is pure brute force and mind games... a shock-trooper -- something Zombies aren't known for (and for good reason). True, zombies are typically built around strength in numbers; that's why this guy breaks that rule at a cost. Sure, he can wander off by himself and single-handedly demolish a foe, but if he can't pull it off, he'll starve to death.

As for its role, the Wendigo is (as stated above) something Zombies could benefit from: fast and painful. While the foe scrambles to avoid the Wendigo's snowballing, you get a lot more leeway toward building up your horde elsewhere on the map. And that's his point, I guess: he MUST be dealt with by your opponent, quickly. If he isn't, then your army of minions will be the least of his concerns.

So, why Stealth stuff, right? Well, Zombies don't have a lot of Stealth, first off -- but more than that, the it's incredibly fun on a unit that either profits or perishes based on its kills (or lack thereof). Stealthiness makes his hunger a little less dangerous, while remaining entirely counterable. Flavor-wise, this thing hunts humans. In lore, he hunts other hunters. Stealth seemed to fit on all fronts.

Obviously, he has a lot of synergy within his theme: Consume and Zombie Apocalypse, Shadowspawn and Latch On (from ZA), and the aforementioned super-complimentary-ness with his slow, clumsy zombie friends. Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    Tweek516, Ogre, RedScarlet and 2 others like this.
  2. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I really like the concept. Could you answer the questions suggested by the devs for this rune? (in the sticky post)

Also, would love to see Shadowspawn replaced with another, more visceral way to get into melee combat. I kind of picture him as a completely mad berserker more than a stealth unit ^^

I think the synergy between Psychotic Hunger, Zombie Apocolypse and Devour is simple, yet very fulfilling. Nice one :). It made me a lot more comfortable with the 6 turn timer.

Also, maybe the flavour text could reference him being in the same family as the ghoul in his hunger. Both eat flesh (the distinction being living or dead flesh) and both have an eternal hunger.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    Onifrk likes this.
  3. allyorbase

Thanks for the feedback!

4. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

Wow, Psychotic Hunger is a really cool idea, I hope devs are looking at this.

Mind-boggling, Deceptive keywords rather than pure Buff/new mechanics FTW

5. allyorbase

Thanks, friend. I have toyed around with zombies, and I think they are viable -- but I also think they are a little one-dimensional. I thought a dash of contradiction would fix that, but I didn't want the unit to be off the deep end.

6. Ogre

Ogre The King of Potatoes

/love

7. Krakuar198

Krakuar198 Well-Known Member

I agree with the fact that most zombies are one dimensional and I also think they are a viable bg to have. In fact i tried to make one but I just couldn't find any zombies that interested me. Wendigo seems like a keeper.