What BGs are OP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tylerspoxnora, Jun 21, 2017.

1. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

op

TheRavager and Regulate like this.
  2. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Unless you're trying to be super competitive you shouldn't bother with meta (and even so, meta isn't mandatory if you know what you're doing). You can have a decent win rate with most BGs if you don't make many mistakes. Pox demands a lot of practice though.

Braxzee likes this.
  3. Tubesox

Tubesox The King of Potatoes

I for sure won't do a lot of PvP, and zero ranked until we get a combat log. But, I think this is actually better for me as a new player. I'm running tons of solo/bot games. Getting me familiar with runes, play order, power turning etc. Switching decks about one or two runes at a time. When I played many moons ago, u could boost champs stats. I remember just enough from that long ago, to make that previous experience worse than useless. Retraining myself is good for me at this point.

Lushiris likes this.
  4. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Was in that situation when i did came back a few months ago, did spend alot of games in PvE to get back the feeling of the game, farm runes and gold, just farming the custom games made me complete the IS collection except for limiteds without spending more money. still learning alot before iam even close to be as good as i thought i was. so much has changed, so many abilities dont work like they used to, and so many new. some is really frustrating because of the basic attack, non-basic attack, damageabilitiy that aint attacks so kinda hard to know if an attack is useful against One with nora, oblivion shield...
    i did go into rank to just get those rewards and custom games gets a bit boring.

5. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Actually it's pretty easy: if it doesn't say "this is a basic attack" then it's not a basic attack, trust me.

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

If I had complete control over a new player I would have them play Skeezick first because they are super cheap for their competitive level and get them into PVP asap. Have them learn the game by facing everything and then by the time that they get tired of playing Skeezick they should have enough resources to play something more mainstream.

7. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Any theme that is meant to win early is great to start with. Shrine rush decks, nearly any UD deck...

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I agree with Kal. While these decks may be easier to win with they do very little to teach basic game mechanics or tactics and can teach bad habits. The reason I suggest Skeezick is that they can be played at any rank and are incredibly cheap to build. They have a good balance of Champions, Spells, Relics, etc. and are very simple at their core. The object is to teach new players first. Win games second.

Etherielin and MogaBait like this.
  10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

No, don't perpetuate the myth that it is even easy to get a win with those decks -- they only show up in meta environments when they seem grossly overpowered for a reason, and that's because they are incredibly punishing of player mistakes. Aggro is not an easy thing to manage in Pox. (It might be easy to win with gimmick decks, but that's because it is an easy experience to play them -- win easy, lose easy. Gimmicks are always a ride-or-die affair.)

11. DiCEM0nEY

The logic is that there is no need to learn how to play a long game if you can't even execute cheese / the early game properly. Thats what I do for nearly every RTS game.

12. DiCEM0nEY

New players will lose to good players regardless of what deck they choose, but to learn the game, I suggest learning a cheese deck, since it genuinely requires less well placed actions to win.

13. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

Sure, maybe cheese a few wins but learn nothing about how to play the regular game. Great plan.

Tweek516 likes this.
  14. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

New players should all play worms.

15. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

KF/SP Princeleaf basically requires you to have global detection to even stand a chance. Or they get unlucky. The deck is pretty good lets not pretend 'correctly built' rush decks are bad.

Anyways am I the only one that thinks Skeezick would be "hard" for a new player to learn? A lot of decisions per turn since you are generally flooding the board, lots of positional things to do on top of the fact that all of your burst comes from the board and not from hand, so you have to play accordingly. And then late game powerturns can also be quite tricky. Not to mention playing SL puts you in the trap of running too many AoE/equips/relics and not enough real utility.

New players should just play FS close their eyes and boost their elo due to the faction bonus. They are also one of the least popular factions so the runes are generally "cheaper".

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  16. DukeofDunks

DukeofDunks I need me some PIE!

Thats probably the point. You always have something you can be doing and always something you can be optimizing. Its teaching you good habits and skills you can translate to most any bg.

Etherielin likes this.
  17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I do not know exactly to what deck you are referring, but I'm neither sure we are talking about the same things nor that the deck in question is all that good in the first place.

18. GoldTiger

Shrine rush so I assume its what we are talking about. And its good. Was FoTM at top play for a bit until everyone mutually agreed to stop playing it because its not fun for either party really just padding your elo. Princeleafs last game was 3 months ago and hes still ranked 14 (he only played for like a few months, and I'm not even sure that BG was his whole history).

https://www.poxnora.com/account/matchhistory.do?i=192871&fb=

Anything better than 50% against tiny/rav/calisk (aka players who aren't bad as you say) etc. is a pretty darn good rush BG in my books.

Edit: also note the duration of the games for the pace at which he was climbing and winning.

19. GoldTiger

Then you may as well play a "better" BG with a similar style where its high skill cap, lots of decisions, similar BG building difficulty. Aka SL meta.

Change the name of your runes from skeezick to whatever the SL guys are running and your BG is better and also plays the same.

20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Aggro is different from shrine rush is different from gimmick decks, and even then you can have gimmick variants of the former.

I'll stand behind those players being generally fine in standard situations, but I will hardly vouch for them in unorthodox scenarios, especially the kinds implicated by the gimmickier decks in Pox.

Is there a deck list anywhere, though? That would be a lot easier than just hedging around information I don't have.