What does a good Barbarian bg look like?

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Tarth, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

I like what DOG is supposedly doing with their revamp so I thought I would play a few games for fun. What do barbarian bgs look like now? What are the runes I have to get? I dont have any pit fighters and only 1 displaced, and 1 elite skirmisher. Do I need to get those?

2. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I'd say currently something like this. Though this deck works better as a smaller barb module unfortunately with veilwalkers/angels/etc filling gaps. But here's my opinion.

2x of the following:
    - Fist of Bastion
    - Exemplar
    - Hawkmaster
    - Displaced
    - Pitfighter

1x of the following:
    - Terraformer
    - Houndmaster
    - Wild Chieftain
    - Barbarian Huntress

Utility/wild cards:
    - Favored Nomad
    - Savage Shieldman
    - Interrogator

W/e IS spells fit your playstyle, though RD is needed and Hammerstrike. Since its not full of surprises inherently.

3. Tarth

Wild Chieftain less important now that incite is gone? Warcry 2 seems very lack luster on him.

4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I'd not run strait barbs, their support is pooptastic and they don't sustain a rush like they did.

That said, 2x fist, displaced, hawkmaster, huntress, bolt, terraformer and then whatever, I'd personally run 2x magnate, 2xmonk, sarge and houndmaster.

5. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Guys, incite was crazy and chieftain was nerfed, but it is a warcry 2 unit with 60 hp and 15 damage for less than 75 nora, it'd be crazy not to run him.

RedScarlet likes this.
  6. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

warcry 2 on a 75 nora stick is already good by itself. Sciean's cries war when he sees this

7. Thbigchief

- Incite was bonkers, but Chieftain is still an amazing cheap warcy proc'er. Unfortunately "got nerfed must be bad" still rulez the forums. AP gen is still real, especially in the linear static barbarian gameplay. Chieftain gives threat range... other then that you just march at the enemy and hope to "fist" something before your weak rush falls apart.

- At the end of the day, for straight power your looking for a module. For theme loyalty, your gonna find the synergy is wonky and needs an overhaul. Typically you and your enemy will be so busy tracking on deploy and on death effects that you will just be annoyed by the end (still no visual or log feedback). Before and now after barbarian changes they still lack effective non-champ based synergy and support.

- Hopefully pox revamp focuses heavily on themes, specifically Barbarian Guardian, Zedin and Bastion have opportunities to be great theme enablers and glue. Also pride of sarng. could help with some small tweaks. An equip and relic would be icing.

8. Tarth

Incite after all was the primary alpha strike tool and while warcry 2 is also a powerful alpha strike ability barbarians do not have the same, emphases on group support abilities that make clumping up worth while. Instead they seem to focus on single target burst damage in their designs, which still seem overly simplistic imo. Incite should be brought back, with a nerf, so that the uniqueness remains. Just my 2 cents.

Old Incite was 12 ap over 3 rounds with 8 being instant along with +4 damage at the expense of race only and no ap storing ability. Compared to Invig 2 being range 2 ( vs 1), 2 ap ( vs 3) and no restrictions netting 8 ap instantly ( 4 at a time, though also cost 4 ap vs 6) for a net gain of 4 ap for invig 2 and 9 for incite. Lowering Incite down to 5 ap instantly, 9 total should bring it into balance imo.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  9. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/c9bCjkCdHc7+CjjcjhCkjcaxCk7CwnS5Xs4BS69s6+s7HS6MsPs87rYe1ve2y

this is mine.

one of the most powerful spell you can run in barbarians at the moment is bloodrage because of its utility with deployment. YOu can give revenge hawk attack, tough, rebuke and jolt, or tough and pace, and if hes actually working, courage and blood rage the fool for 50 more nora.

Elite skimisher is very strong with synergy from blood and storm clan. With bloodclan she can enhance with incite boosting her up to 20 damage from 9 spaces away, while being an elusive unit on most maps. With jolt she can DoT for 7 + damage on one hit, and 5

10. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

11. Anotherblackman

Barbs are too straight forward to really utilize this scheme. The morins corners+ relocate relic thing though was something I tested on my troll bg, Its pretty solid if you ask me. you can park it exactly where you need it and keep those heals coming.

12. Anotherblackman

the true power of the current barbarians lies not in the power to defend, but he power to kill multiple things in one round.

With cleave and a displaced with multi attack 2, you can fuel your whole army with ap to destroy everything if you have proper positioning and play the turn correctly(by correctly I mean in order of operations from scramble cleave to warcry fuel to get more out of that scramble cleave)

13. Tarth

1. From Several people: Can you give us any more information about whats going to be happening with Racials? Not every racial touched. Theme abilities would work in crowds. Examples of Racials: Barbarians will be focused on warchiefs that grant warchief abilities when die to other living barbarian; Every Boghoppers leap not from upgrades.

New info from the latest Q&A . Sounds interesting, not a fan of the on death trigger but at least it isnt a X number =Y ability so less of a forced sandbag theme. What are your thoughts?

14. Thbigchief

- Not so much a typical death benefit from the sounds of it. More like a hopping buff, almost like Wood elemental interaction mechanic wise as I understood it. Some champions will be "War Chiefs" and when they die that buff will hop to closest friendly clan member and/or barbarian... maybe ? ... will be interesting.

- We seem to agree on one thing though, not big fans of mechanics that my opponent controls. For example forcing this powerful buff onto a scrub champ or avoiding it all together. I will give it a chance however.

15. Tarth

I think what it comes down too is what types of abilities these chiefs will have. If one has say battle leader, or other external mechanic abilities, it could be interesting. As in once you play a champion with a buffer mechanic chief ability its not going away as long as you have 1 champion left.

IF they are active abilities it has potential. If its a Passive im stronger now self buff or anything close to it it becomes a lot less useful and less interesting.

16. Thbigchief

- In the Q and A it felt passive sounding. Storm clan (anti-air clan) War Chief may deal more damage to flyers etc.