What is up with ranked?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alakhami, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I played 3 games and win (2 vs. limiteds), lose my last one to Taylor(who has a much higher rank than me), and in the end I lose rank. Could someone elaborate, cause I feel like it's only been difficult for me to maintain rank.

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Tldr rank system blows, and were all waiting for a new and better system.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

You can win and lose rank.

Rank is a ladder count of people's ratings, so you can earn rating, but if other people earned more than you, you can lose rank.

Keep in mind that Ranking and Rating is a competition. It is not a progression mechanic where you always go up.

4. Sokolov

What would you like the system to be?

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Not horrible, if at all possible.

TheBulwark, claydude5 and SPiEkY like this.
  6. Sokolov

Which is what?

Do we want a system where losses don't count, and everyone gains rating all the time, earning badges and stars?

Do we want a zero-sum system where players have to be better than they were previously to gain ranking?

What is it we want out of the system?

7. Sokolov

Unfortunately, this is mostly a population problem with you being at/near the top of the pyramid.

Note that if it were easier for you to gain XP and rank, it'd also be easier for everyone else there to do the same... so it wouldn't change very much there.

One solution is to simply remove the idea that ranking/rating is competitive, and let everyone earn points continuously... but that is what DOW already covers.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I expect direct results from general statements and generally unjustifiable generalities, generally.

9. Sokolov

I like your specificity.

10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Thank you to everyone in general.

11. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

You're welcome.

12. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I think that being able to see how much you win/loose with each match would be awesome.
    Also, some clarification if there is anything like a "max exp" you can get in a day.

Moles likes this.
  13. HiveLord

HiveLord I need me some PIE!

My desire for rankings isn't as important as what these guys are generally saying.

I just want to see the rankings as the actual rankings. Meaning, If you're rank 235, it should say you're rank 235, not "135th in the Exo League" or whatever.
    You can keep the same Icons for the same places, maybe even keep the "Leagues".

So, the display would look like

HiveLord
    Rank 235
    Exo League

I just want a specific ranking, not a ranking within a League.

14. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- It's not an easy answer...but time and time again we get explained how the "system" works....but I think it's irrelevant if it does not feel rewarding to the player. Daisy used to always swoop in and say "hey guys you don't understand how it works let me explain..." so then the people that didn't understand what was happening got some info.... but it didn't make it feel any better.

- All these threads start out as "Wtf I won so much...y I didn't go up?!" then evolve into... "Ok I understand the system...and I still hate it.. why are we using it?". When people don't get the rank system it irritates them ... and then after they do get it ..it still irritates them.... it's a problem.

- I think the league system is just smoke and mirrors. I think either you can use it until top 25 or 10 then switch to a more transparent system for top players or vice versa. Lower ranks simply go up for winning, and down for losing...until you hit a cut off for top players then it can go into this elo/herpderp/supa-smart leet system...that no one likes.

15. Sokolov

Thus why I ask... what do people want from it? It seems like most who complain about the system don't actually want a system in which you compete with others for ranks, and would rather see self-evident progress.

~

As for the leagues, there really isn't a league "system." It's just names assigned to ranks.

16. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I am convinced that the rating from games played is happening on a curve and there is a "max" rating you can gain in a day. The closer you get to the max the less you actually gain from a game. The further you are from the max the greater your gain.

Example:
    Lets assume you play 10 games, each against an opponent with equal rank. Each win is a gain of 10 and each loss is a loss of 10.

W W W W L W L L W W should gain you 40 exp from a 7-3 ratio.

What appears to happen is that
    W W W W L L L L W W will generate more exp because you ended the day with wins than the following,

W W W W W W W L L L will generate less exp than the prior example because after a few games they "hit the max" and then lost games at the end that dropped them down. Example 1 SHOULD get you 20 and example 2 should get you 40 but if there is a cap (say 50) they both end up at 20 because game 6 and 7 of the second example didne gain any exp.

I can only assume such a cap is in place to keep an unranked alt player from jumping into the top 10 by playing a bunch of scrubs in one day. Thats fine but the cap appears to be way too low.

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. Sokolov

When we roll out the next patch you will be able to see your gains/losses per game. If there's an issue like that we can find it then :D

TheBulwark and Pipster like this.
  18. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Cool. Should make it easier to find any issues if there really are any.

TheBulwark likes this.
  19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I could dig up my thread from a month back where I showed evidence for just how flawed exp gain is.

But Im lazy.

Basically, a system where I can see exp gain/loss after every match, no cap, instant updates, no 1-0 beats going 19-1 bull.

20. Sokolov

We want to do more testing, but so far, with the transparency changes, we have seen no evidence that it's doing anything weird.

Also, going 1-0 vs 19-1 is immaterial, because it depends on the relative ratings of the players and their opponents