what kind of work do you do?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Geressen, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

What kind of work do you do?

Besides being a student of applied biology I also work as a facilitary assistant in the maternity ward of a hospital.
    I clean baby and delivery beds, I also get asked the dumbest questions.

yesterday a man asked me "did you see a pregnant woman walk by here?".

Grand General Mosh likes this.
  2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Student of Chemistry here. Its awful and I recommend it to masochists only.

3. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

Palaeontology student here, not sure if you'd realised :p

It's pretty awesome

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

People trust gerben with their baby?

HAH

5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

no they trust me with pools of blood,amniotic fluid and discarded needles and stuff.

6. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I'm currently a psychology student, which is somewhat ironic considering I'm not really a people-person. My main areas of interest are forensic work and psychopathy. The hours are long, the subject matter is dense, and after continuing with it for long enough, you tend to develop a severely pessimistic view of the world. Sane individuals would be advised to avoid psychology like the plague. Luckily, I was already crazy before I started studying it. ;)

Grand General Mosh likes this.
  7. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

What is work?

8. Qucas

Qucas Guest

Currently Unemployed, looking for a job as a prep cook or pantry cook.

9. Boozha

At least you don't have weeks with almost every day going from 8:00 to 18:00 with horrible ******** buggering you to tell them everything about some ******** experiment you can't give two ****s about, whichafter you have to do said experiment you can't give two ****s about for hours, then write protocols about it.
    Both my whiskey and my cola consumption skyrocketed to hilarious levels. About a liter of cola a day and maybe one liter of whiskey every three weeks.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

you should try applied biology, we pretty much intend to burn down the cities and replace them with plants while setting wolves and big angry cattle loose in the streets.

but we simply don't get those kinds of budgets anymore so we'd have to made do with a wildlife passage between two forrests or some such. :(

11. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

International Politics Student and currently working as a Bouncer in a local club :D.

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I am the General Manager of a restaurant in north ga.

13. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

I work as a Prisonguard/correctional Officer.
    My areas of specialty is Drugcounseling and Entry/Subdue in riot or cell emptying situations.

14. Comissar

Read that as "Dragoncounselling", I wish that existed now :(

15. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

You and me both.

16. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Just graduated as a nutritionist and personal trainer. Planning on doing a couple of bodybuilding competitions next year to get some credibility for myself and attract more clients. Have a job interview soon for a job in Spain running fitness camps for the summer so hoping I get that.

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I'm a nutritionist* too.

* warning, gerben is not a nutritionist in places where it is a protected term like 10% of the world, only in the 90% of the world where nutritionist means Firk all gerben can be called a nutritionist.

anyways axe, I sincerely hope your diploma says Dietician.

( I'm also a leg- and foot- oliolocotechnician, a toothiologist, and people-cutting-makey-better person.)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  18. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

In an effort to remain civil and avoid a tedious discussion, I will merely say that it sounds like the people you know are all in the experimental branch of psychology, as opposed to the clinical branch. This in itself makes a HUGE difference, as the clinical branch is heavily patient-oriented, where you must deal with individuals who are neither pleasant nor social. Think about the topic area for a bit: psychopathology, a pathological deviation from normal or efficient behavior (and here, the science or study of mental disorders). Now think about psychopathy: a mental disorder in which an individual manifests amoral and anti-social behavior, a lack of ability to love, establish meaningful personal connections, extreme egocentricity, failure to learn from experience, and is chronically deceitful and manipulative.

From these definitions alone, it is easy to imagine why a person working with people like this on a day-to-day basis would become rather pessimistic about humanity. Don't misunderstand me, the subject matter is intensely interesting, and I enjoy the work, but the atmosphere is incorrigible. Constantly having to look out for signs of manipulation, sift through stories of criminal violence to find hidden motives..........it's all disheartening work, and leaves you with little faith in the competence of our species. As any intro-psych student knows, personality disorders are merely exaggerations of normal behavior. And if psychopathic behavior is in any way normal, well, the rest is simple logic.

19. Boozha

Well, it should build you up that you are only looking at a microscopic part of humanity.

... Who am I kidding, I hate people

20. Comissar

... </3