What to play now?

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by daeminicus, Jul 10, 2014.

1. daeminicus

daeminicus Devotee of the Blood Owl

After the recent (heavy) amp frost nerf I just feel like ST dont got anything left to play. It was amp frost or nothing.

Yetis are bad, weak and overpriced for what they do atm. Their new racial is a meh.
    Lonx got hit hard, probally still good enough to be played.
    Ferren, ferren theme got removed totally and replaced by NKD, boring imo.
    Beasts, got a few diamonds but are either to slow and cheap or to expensive and not good enough.

Give me some ideas. I dont know what to play!
    I love ST, been my main forever, but I feel that hte options are very few atm.

2. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

2x Frost Giant
    2x Frostfall Tardigrade
    2x Jakei Starseer
    2x Risen Yeti

Stack Freezing Aura, Dread, Fritghtful Aura and Majestic.

Full anti DMG non cleansable. Then put some Fear and Charm champs to reduce even more.

Also Flag of Unification on Frost Giant with Resilient could be a nice pick.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  3. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

very interesting is this an original bg?

4. KingJad

I completely agree with this post i still love ST but the play options are getting bland we need either a new expansion or they need to hurry and give ferren back ferren focus and work on the yeti racial

5. goldmonkee

goldmonkee I need me some PIE!

I've seen a couple people do well with Strig/Flyers (Tailwind ability being a key part), and NKD teacher + a smattering of our best stuff, but I haven't been able to get those LE runes so haven't been able to try either. Lushiris was doing well with Yeti's last I saw; I just picked them all up and hope to play them over the next couple of days. Beasts could be interesting, but I haven't seen anyone really using it yet.

The top decks right now are pretty insane...I assume they'll get nerfed as hard as our amp did. So if we ignore the decks with dirt cheap champs that have absolutely ridiculous stats and such, then I think Frost is probably still the best option. Just have to keep in mind that it's no longer strong early game; stall and build up for the strong mid/late game. The core would be something like this:

Elven Ancestor
    Jakei Elder/Lonx Striker/Shardmaster/Frostbow/Snare Fairy (whichever ones that you like most)
    Lonx Adept
    Nohkan Apprentice
    Yeti Curate
    Freeze Bug Keeper (depends on summon meta, right now it's a must)

Cleansing Storm
    Gale Force
    Ice Storm

Warbanner

There's a ton of non-champion options; I like being AoE heavy with Deep Freeze and Howling Wind, but stuff like Frigid Barrier, Swap, Healing Hand, Blizzard Cloak, etc are awesome too. If you aren't running Spirits then Shard is worth running again. And then there's room for whatever champs you like too; whether it's more support with Starseer & Maiden or fatties like Juya & Icesnap or cones from Frost Wolf and Jakei Owl Raider or etc. Just a lot of wiggle room and/or I haven't played enough games to say which are best :)

ST doesn't seem to be in a strong position right now, but I wouldn't give up on frost if that's what you like. Just gotta adjust the playstyle a bit and iron out/polish the deck that works for ya. If you keep playing frost, let me know what runes stand out to you!

daeminicus and Goyo like this.
  6. KingJad

run Hoarfrost Dragon instead of Icesnap much more efficient for almost the same abilities and he has attack: frost

Goyo likes this.
  7. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

Well, lonx bounty hunter didn't really get smashed by the nerf hammer

lonx chieftian STILL has camaraderie (only him and 100 Nora Bunny Lord). Even tho he's 86, its still a good investment given his good stats and 5-6 RNG.

lonx hurler is quite efficient, channeler and luminary retains ~5 nora diff so its still okay.

I'd say go for lonx.

Other than that, go beast mode with beasts.

8. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

What do you mean?

9. KingJad

is it a bg u made up yourself

10. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Yeah. Didn't test it though, need to level up some champs.

11. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yes, your post is very accurate.
    I mean, you can play anything for fun, but to be trully competitive (at least on what I think is competitive) you have to run frost amp or go home. Tailwind is still OP and all, but almost all flyers are pretty expensive, and once Tailwind gets nerfed, the whole theme will crumble.
    I don't even want to talk about Yetis or Ferrens, those got blown to oblivion.
    I've tried playing a NKD bg but it's really not that fun for me - no inherit synergy, nothing.
    Discipline abilities are all pretty messed up, it was so much more intuitive with Ferren Focus.
    I did give a shot at Lonx, but then I had my units Possessed into chasms and the fun went away.
    Yeah, but Amp is still good.

Edit: I have not yet tried beasts again, but it seems all units are very pricey for what they bring to the table. That remains to be seen.

12. s4ndm4ns

s4ndm4ns I need me some PIE!

Starseer with prestige is auto imo
    Amp got crippled a lot, but I remain top20 easly with it. Still a lot of efficient units in sub65 range.

13. JayZillaGT

JayZillaGT Member

Not that i should be remembered or anything but ive been around off and on since the beginning of poxnora when it was all circus decks all the time. Ive seen ST when it launched and its always been the only faction i use. After revamp ive tried it all just bc something doesnt look good you always have to try it first. with that said this is what i run with my frost amp deck
    http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/CiyC8Fca1C3ychdcaNC3wc1=cqZCjlCgkc6us7Ks6ms7@s19sMS2Ls13sNrwrIe2P

Any criticism/comments are welcome

14. goldmonkee

What's the thought behind Arctic Gift?

15. JayZillaGT

JayZillaGT Member

Gives the bluefists arctic and domain snow to any champ that i play after and with a low CD it helps keep the ancestors buffed. i also had a galcial titan in there before so my ranged units could stand in his ice to get the domain buff.

16. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Run Glacial Titan.
    Profit.

17. daeminicus

daeminicus Devotee of the Blood Owl

I think NKD is the most boring theme/ability atm, disciplines are messy and hard to understand and learn how to make worthful.

I think they really took away so many options and bgs with this revamp and nerfs.

I used to run shardmaster and shard for example, why? I love shardmasters, specially over ice caster, I didnt run ice caster or yeti spirit.
    Now I have to use spirit since its cheap and its amp.

18. goldmonkee

They keep nerfing Frost, over and over and over and :(

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  19. s4ndm4ns

s4ndm4ns I need me some PIE!

I am waiting for ability recost before I play again.

20. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

My two observations so far were that Arctic Tigers are pretty scary if you happen to have a random lonx in play, preferably the Beast Tamer. Also Pox Renovators can hit pretty hard depending on what they shoot at.