What was the hardest step for you to get good in PoxNora, and how did you overcome it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hfok, Oct 9, 2015.

1. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

I have been around Pox since around 2007, I have always want to get better but I lack the self confidence to even do a PvP game, after having a really good answer from @Karmavore , I think the answers of this question could benefit player like me.

Thank you in advance!

JellyBerry, Anima26 and newsbuff like this.
  2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Spending such a large time playing single player when i was younger is something that really got me into some bad habits. When i first became mates with agirgis he taught me a bunch of Bane Shift and it's made me a much better player. Since i learned those things the main thing i need to really try and cross over for myself is to understand that this is a game people play competitive (as ridiculous as that is to me) and that might finally make myself able to play ranked games.

3. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

I feel you, I'm the same I just mess around annoying my mates

Ifem21 likes this.
  4. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Never did

Spamming PvP games would be the way, but I only play when I'm in good shape and then only few games because it is exhausting. And recently I've been playing StarCraft instead, so the getting good is going to take a while

5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Positioning was my biggest problem. I just started asking better players to help me.

JellyBerry and Anima26 like this.
  6. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

practice against good players and watching them play to learn why they are good.

7. Flyingfinn

Flyingfinn I need me some PIE!

Don't watch me. I never play this game without watching a movie or series at the same time. I just do stuff.

8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Try to win. It sounds obvious but it's easy to go into auto pilot or to assume a win/loss from the start against certain decks.

9. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

its understandable hfok, about being a little hesitant to play pvp....I was too....heres my advice.... play , win/lose who cares ,, just play...its a game , many kool people , they outweigh the arses... and once u start playing youll catch a few wins,, get a lil confidence ,, either way bro,, like I said. just play, its a game.:)

RedScarlet and hfok like this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

11. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

I'm kinda average.

BUT, I stopped being poor when I realised I didn't have to always take the game to my opponent. I still fall into the trap at times, but seriously, I don't need to charge in like a demented chihuahua every time!

Also, focus when you think you're going to win. This is especially true against better players - the number of times I've had victory in my hands and allowed them back into the game is very sad.

Finally, know your deck and stick with it for more than a few games - makes a world of difference for me.

bambino likes this.
  12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Pretty much. I camp whenever I can and just jack it while my opponent plans his next mistake.

Anima26 likes this.
  13. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

yes. both above post are quite accurate..I use to rush in...charging across the map to capture/contest a font that I had no business going after...now I play slow...set up...let yer pawns out,, position yer bishop's and knights to protect yer pawns,, little by little ,, let yer bg unfold,, dont separate them across the map..(dont keep em to close either) .let whatever synergy u have go into affect...then maybe bring out yer big boys....
    every move u make should have a reason..if u cant think of one. then dont mobe em...just some things I think about when I play.

14. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Stopped picking defensive upgrades on 8 range units.

AKA came to appreciate how range works in this game.

15. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

You can play rushy, but you have to have the right deck for it, and also realise when it won't work.

I took me a long time to realise not to rush so much vs FS.

16. Iskandak

Iskandak The King of Potatoes

I'm not good and it took me a long enough time. However, just playing pvp teaches me what NOT to do, a lot... A LOT.

17. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Rush those that need buildup, build up against those that can stave off a rush.

.And pray that FW doesn't get back to its heyday where it could do both really well :p

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Growing up. I started playing when I was 11 or so, and just wasn't sharp enough or mature enough to handle all the various parts of Pox. That might not help most people very much, though, so here's some things that specifically improved from getting older. First, becoming more patient. Like newsbuff and atherhog mentioned, that applies to playing in game, and it applies to deck building and attitude as well. Pox rewards patience at every level. Second, getting a grasp on theory. Playing a lot of other video games -- and lots of MtG -- helped me understand what was going on in a game or within a rune, rather than cruising on pure experience. So, learn a lot of math, and learn how to break down any set of objects into their most basic parts, and then relate those parts to each other in different ways. Patience and theory together mean being more methodical about playing.

19. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Whatever you do, keep FUN a priority.

Woffleet, 19madfox95 and bambino like this.
  20. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

An RTS should never be less exhausting than a TBS. I would argue this shows the impact of losing publically in a game where everyone knows your name vs a blizzard game where everyone is effectively anonymous. Iow 'the community' is a barrier to play.