What will you be playing after Pox closes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cinder405, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I’m liking the Vikings as well. Haven’t fully decided yet though.

2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

can't justify buying into a pre-release again, but if the game turns out good, i'll join in late and after release.

I got burned on far too many promising pre-release games...pathfinder online honestly had similar promises as this one.

3. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

I haven't checked on that game in a year.... Is Pathfinder dead? Never released?? I've played the ruleset so I liked the rules.

4. Bondman007

Also, not that it means much, but the game has been in development for 5+ years...

5. calisk

well, they originally put out that first person elder scrolls styled dungeon crawler demo.

looked good, they outlined their plan, sounded good, and thus we backed it.

then with the money they decided to make a eve styled fantasy based mmo with player driven economics and crafting.

I didn't complain too much because I love eve and what not, and I usually don't get bent out of shape if a game has terrible art that belonged in games from pre-WOW era

then the alpha came out....and to be frank it was terrible but had some promise I planned to try it when it got released, but now its 5 years later and is dead, for the most part it's not officially dead but like pox they stopped communicating with the fans..

6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Yeah, hasn’t been a game in this genre released with as big of a development budget since WoW. Got to temper your expectations with the way people do early releases these days. Most of them hadn’t had 1/10th of this budget or the history of success this studio has had.

These early buy-ins are also giving you increasing amounts of included months of subscription making the actual cost for playing beta almost zero.

Even with all those (and more) positive things going, it’s still a beta format so I’m going into it with the same mentality that I have in every beta game:
    • I want to learn the game,
    • see if I like it,
    • contribute to its betterment
    • and get an edge on nonbeta players for actual release date.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Bondman007 likes this.
  7. mrkurtz

mrkurtz The King of Potatoes

Oh dang! Is it really closing down? I'd been keeping an eye out, hoping to come back when things finally improved. I see there's been no new content in forever though. What a bummer. I spent so much money on this stupid game.

Baskitkase likes this.
  8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Yeah, it’s sad really. I think the problem is there just wasn’t ever any vision. None of the devs/decision makers could ever see past the next release. Sure, Sok will come here and say “well the game has lasted xyz and that’s great for this genre” but the truth is it hasn’t lasted. Death cycle started when growth cycle ended.

Coulda been great forever, instead it was submediocre for a while.

Varthas likes this.
  9. calisk

yep if yugioh of all games can still be thriving, pox had it been run right could of stll be thriving today.

sadly the last "feature" i remember them adding was really story mode, which was awesome but then quickly abandoned really. the ai never really reached the leveling of challenging, plus it never really changed after realease, just go more story chapters.

free to play was an attempt to stay relevant and bring more players in but it's not a feature, it didn't expand the game any, and in fact we lost features as tournaments fell to the way side.

you know the one thing every successful card game has in common and is almost in direct correlation to their success? a strong competitive scene. the casual environment is important to, but the competitive scene is vital to any successful game, and pox let theirs die.

Baskitkase likes this.
  10. Bondman007

Hey man, I just bought in at the $60 level to try out the game. The Beta 1 doesn't launch until five more days BUT it is letting me install and play the alpha! May want to check it out man.

11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Wiwiwowi ok I’ll do that tonight. Thanks man!

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Hit me up on discord, PMd you my info.

I was able to DL the client but it says I have Access Level: Beta 1 so no Alpha servers are available.

Did you do anything special to get into Alpha? I bought the $120 package which includes everything from all the packages beneath it.... should have the same access.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  13. Bondman007

Well bro, their massive Final alpha heading into Beta one test fell completely flat. I have an i7 7700 4.2ghz CPU with 16 GB of ram and GTX1060 6 GB card and was spitting out a smooth 9 FPS. Completely unplayable and utter trash for a game in development for 5 stinking years. Good grief.... For now, the beta is delayed indefinitely. o_O

14. calisk

standard story of the early buy in ^^;;

15. calisk

MMORPG's could be an awesome genre, and before WOW they were actually really amazing with so much promise, dark ages, ultima, eve, and many others really were treading new ground and were very unique, games like dark ages had fully integrated pollitical systems, star wars galaxy allowed players to build entire cities on numerous planets in the universe, dungeons and dragons online while not perfect is a pretty good time and it's dungeons are about as perfect as any online game could hope for, and i've modeled actual dnd sessions off some of those dungeons.

then wow made all the money, and every mmorpg after that just became a wow clone, walking simulator, and emphasized the practice of watching cool down timers as a life style.

I hate wow for it killing a genre, but I don't believe it can't be resurrected by the right game being released, mario brothers ressurected video games after Atari murdered it with cheap to produce under developed shuvel ware, mmorpgs may one day get a similar revival

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Varthas and Alakhami like this.
  16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It will be delayed a few days. This is exactly what alpha is for. Did you participate in WoW alpha? We had crashes every day. Engine couldn’t handle Orgrimmar and half the classes abilities just stopped working at any given time.

It will be fine.

17. Bondman007

Ok, the e-mail I got said it was going to be a fairly lengthy delay. Hey man, as long as they get it worked out I'm good! I was just surprised to see a game 5 years in run so poorly. It may just been server stress which (I think) is a fairly easy remedy?

18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The hardware they are running that server on is likely a glorified desktop. So there is optimization happening on all levels. Beta won't be on that hardware, I know this for a fact.

When beta happens, there will still be bugs, crashes etc. Thats part of a true beta process. It's a bit different than just playing a game. If you don't enjoy that process it might not work for you but I kinda like it. Original DAOC I actually got to design a lil bit of the Midguard Healer based on my alpha/beta feedback. I like the nascient stages, I get bored once the game is settled and theres nothing else to see/do for the first time.

They basically had to stop all work to get in compliance with GDRP to avoid having that stop beta whenever it would have been released. This delay is the main reason for things getting pushed back.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Bondman007 likes this.
  19. haroldkin

haroldkin I need me some PIE!

Wow, the tone here has really gone somber. Not that that's any surprise.

I haven't been on the Pox servers for a few months now. For the time being I'm really enjoying a rediscovery of the Roguelike genre. More than Pox, more than Fallout, true roguelikes are perhaps most dear to me in the gaming world. Sad to see Pox fading away like Bela Lugosi, but as long as I have a good roguelike to discover, (presently Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup), I'm content.

20. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

I've spent a few years on DCSS. In ASCI. After a bit over a year I've won my first game. Not happy with some of the changes, but it's a fantastic game.