Who does DC protection protect?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davre, Jul 5, 2016.

1. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Seriously, if this thing isn't going to do what it's supposed to, just get rid of it.

3 times today I've had a temporary disconnect that booted me with a minute and change left in my turn, 3 times I've logged back in to find that my turn was forfeited.

Please fix this.

2. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

fear not, there is a new client that will come out soon so stuff like this is already being worked out!

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's just the nature of connections. Disconnects aren't a clean thing and not all parties involved immediately know as soon as it happens.

It depends on exactly why the disconnect happens. We as humans identify a disconnect fairly quickly (or what we consider one), but on the technical side there has to be specific criteria that counts as disconnection.

What typically happens is after a connection drops is that data continues to be received by our servers for awhile. This is because your data isn't sent to us directly from yourself, it goes from your computer, to your ISP, through all their servers, to intermediate servers, etc. before getting to us. And we can be receiving data from intermediate servers for quite awhile after the connection drops on your end.

For action games or MMOs, this delay still exists but because you are disconnected anyway and there's no "pause", it doesn't actually matter and you don't notice this problem (you aren't going to expect a game of League of Legends to pause on its own and wait for you to come back), but the same problem basically exists there. It is highlighted in a game like PoxNora because you have turns and a timer, so when you come back you know exactly how much time you lost.

~

That said, it is always possible there is an actual problem, but nothing I have heard from the complaints about DC protection so far leads me to believe there is one. Nonetheless, we have tested the feature numerous times and we haven't seen anything out of the ordinary.

Now, if you disconnected on your turn, and you lost MULTIPLE turns, then I'd consider it a problem - but if you lost one turn, that's well within the margin of error for this type of feature.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

That can happen, yes.

It's actually a very difficult problem, and many turn based games don't even bother. Even Hearthstone doesn't have DC protection.

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It protects worms players. If there was no DC protection, I probably wouldn't play them.

6. horrible

horrible Devotee of the Blood Owl

I hate this feature because sore losers disconnect intentionally to make wait for 4 minutes. So annoying.