Why aren't more of you guys playing lonx.

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by themacca, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I'm inclined to say Icelord fits better in Frost bgs.
    In Lonx bgs he's a typical melee beater, and while he's very good at what he does, there are better options for that slot.

Alakhami likes this.
  2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I wouldn't say he's a particularly unique option in lonx (their first form of AOE damage however) however his ridiculous stats alone are a reason to run him.

3. Pedeguerra

Well, technically its not the "first form of AOE damage" on Lonx, because Adept has Frost Nova and Ambusher has Pounce (when did they remove Grant: Frost Aura from Adept, though? That was lame). But yeah, its a very good one so yay.
    However, "his ridiculous stats alone are a reason to run him": I disagree with this entirely. Big piles of stats are not necessarily good, it really depends on deck construction, matchups and whatnot. Aside from that, here are some examples of "ridiculous stats" in lonx melee beater department: Hammerfall Lonx; Throatrend Lonx; Tracker Gnark, and all of them compete with each other, its a matter of personal taste rather than powerlevel.
    I, for example, like to run Lonx Channeler (a champ people dont really run, at all), because on a mid stage of the game he is easily killing stuff with 2 attacks, has a syphon mechanic and bullwark makes sure he has enough HP to hold his own and make his healing worth. Oh, and 1-3 range, which is awesome on its own.
    So yeah, please dont get on the hype train and try to analyze things with care. There is not a single player in this game that knows lonx better than I do (I would say "ST", but Im humble), and I'm telling you that this guy is NOT an auto include there. It's a fantastic option, but there are others as well.

Edit: @Sokolov can Lonx Bounty Hunter get her Combat Awareness back please?

4. themacca

Oh it's not a hype for me though i do definitely wanna love him cause god damn that artwork is sweet. but i find the combination of surge high defense HUGE HP, high damage and high speed which can be run for 80 nora sets him ahead of hammerfall, and the ability to save AP puts him ahead of the throatened. Though i would say gnark definitely outclasses him but he's definitely justifiable to run. Also i feel ya on the channeler thing. Lonx as a theme seem to be up there for some of the best melee beaters in the game which is an impressive thing considering they also have great ranged units and decent healing options.

5. Pedeguerra

Ok, with this post I agree entirely.
    Like I said, though, it just depends on how you build your bg. Lonx have fantastic melee beater options, and he sure is up there amongst the tops of the theme.
    On Frost bgs, however, this guy is probably stellar, mainly because there are not that many good melee beater optins in there. Here:

a) Elemental Core is way better in elemental bgs, because if you are not procing Tundra Menace you are not playing it right;
    b) Hammerfall really needs Vindictive to shine;
    c) Jakei Extinguisher just dies too easily to range.

I feel the one that really competes with him is Extinguisher, but with 7SPD and better defensive abilities Icelord might be a better pick.

This is all theory, however, playtesting is always required.

6. themacca

Yeah i can't imagine him being better than the elemental core cause that thing is just outright ridiculous. But IF it does turn out to be around the power level of the jakei extinguisher than it is a really solid champion thats probably even meta splashable. Also the healing options that he could get in a frost BG with a Star catalog equipped would make him even more difficult to deal with so yeah i agree that he's more a frost champion than he is a lonx theme but he's strong enough (based on first impressions) to be worthy of an include in both

Pedeguerra likes this.
  7. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

https://poxbase.com/deck/ChfCa5CzPClNclqC8DC4ic4hs7@s19s7bS2Ls5qs13sNs4Vr1yrIeHE3j

This is where I am leaning towards with a Lonx bg. I think I ultimately come down a little bit more on the side of icelord being a very good option for Lonx (and he takes up the two empty slots in the bg above). Between his good statline, surge: lonx, and the aoe he just seems like a better choice than many of the other beefy types.

Also, @themacca don't feel that Lonx have excellent range. Their real strength comes from their beaters, with their range mostly being adequaate. The exception is, of course, the Lonx Chieftain, and the Lonx Marauder is decent enough; the rest seem to be worth including only becausse you probably should not be running around with just 4 ranged attackers in a modern bg.

@Pedeguerra people don't run Lonx Channeler in Lonx? That seems... stupid. He is like one of the best parts of Lonx. Like x2 auto-include best parts.

8. themacca

For the Range Marauders are extremely solid champs. (Ranged Sunder is a beautiful Thing, Range sunder+Hunter Crippled is an amazing thing) i would classify missionaries as adequate and chieftains as there best options.

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  9. doubtofbuddha

Yeah, and this comes down to a matter of degrees but one excellent choice, one extremely solid, and one adequate choice does not good ranged make. For example, just in ST I think that elementals, jakei (and by extension elementals), frost, and yeti have better ranged, and this is not even going into the superior range for a lot of other themes/factions.

10. Pedeguerra

Beats my why man.
    Actually, people are weird, thats why.
    :D:D:D

11. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Everyone uses Lonx Channeler in Lonx.

12. Pedeguerra

I personally havent seen them in play ever since Hammerfall came out, and even in these links with bgs that people post I dont recall seeing them. Also, "everyone" might just be 2-3 people, and I doubt they all run the same copy of bgs.
    Either way, perspectives man.

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Those 2-3 people are the only people playing Lonx throughout Poxnora :/ Tiny playerbase ftw

14. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

I don't really like missionary so I see the new lonx as an enabler to include adepts for shenanigans.

Might be also a reason to make use of the ailur concord since it grants subsume to every cat on the field. Then again no idea of how heavy the current meta is on non basic attacks.

I don't see a reason to run hammerfall at all with the current pool of champios. Shredders and hunters with CA should cover a lot of ground on their own and they're cheaper (shredder also heals with deploys).

I run one channeler due to it being heavily reliant on how early I get the deploy.

Also Darius' Favor pls.

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  15. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Yeah I run darius' favour - so strong.

Spot declare target is kinda like a mobi (not as strong ofc, but similar). Plus, can be used as a spot ranged attack if you need one more attack to kill.

16. doubtofbuddha

Good point! I would much rather run Lonx Adept than Missionary. Too bad that you still only have like 4 reasonable Lonx includes with Frost attacks.

17. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  18. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

19. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

The lack of Hurlers and Gnark is concerning.

20. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I don't like ammunition :(