Why not just punch me in the face and take my wallet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by charlieriot, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

He's apparently trying to make all that up with token prices so it's a wash.

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

This is where you are wrong, nothing else matters.

I can understand your frustration, I really do. But spending money on a game in no way is an investment that should keep it's value as compared to a stock. You're buying an experience, play time. Like an amusement park. The only difference is that the spending is done per attraction and whenever you feel hungry.

SPiEkY likes this.
  3. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

Now i can trade it in pb for a bunch of runes!!
    Thats what legendarys are for.

4. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

remove trading from the game.

make legendaries playable.

increase shard exchange rate in the forge.

Entrepidus likes this.
  5. mortal ix

mortal ix I need me some PIE!

Logged in to give you a like and say, Sir you just won the post ^^,

6. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I really wish you would stop posting half-truths like this so I could go back to liking your posts as I read them. Gedden was the last hold-out in opposing many of these additions that caved only as a result of internal pressure from the rest of DOG. This isn't even speculation as both he and Senshu have admitted to such in several of your Q&A streams. Don't forget that these changes only happened as a result of community backlash against the sudden price hikes after DOG took over. The Rune Forge is anything but hospitable to new players and the marketplace is in shambles. You simply can't dispute this as I've done (and provided) the math proving such.

I agree that Gedden has brought about several positive changes to Pox, but he's not exactly making sunshine and rainbows wherever he goes. There's plenty of room for improvement on his part and it's important we find honest, but respectful, ways of encouraging such.

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Looking at a game like Pox as an investment is probably not a great fiscal move. Even something much larger and more stable such as MtG is risky and speculative. Rather, a collection has already had money spent on it, and at any point in time is not siphoning off any of your funds. It's a sunk cost - you've already bought it. It's pretty common to feel obliged or connected to a game because of money spent on it, but you've already spent the money. Your choices back then can only influence how much it might be worth to spend money now. If you did actually spend money on Pox expecting the runes to maintain some level of financial value you could convert, your frustration is certainly understandable, but I don't think it is founded in a system that has let you down; these environments make for crummy investment options per se, and people should think of them as such.

8. Daerthalus

Daerthalus Devotee of the Blood Owl

I agree looking at Pox as in investment is a mistake. What we are doing is purchasing the right to use X rune in the game. What most people get upset about is that when you bought or traded for that right, you did so based on what that right was granting you. It would be like if I sold you the right to drive a 2014 Ferrari. You don't own it, but you can drive it whenever you like. You drove it once and the next time you came to drive it again, I put a Ferrai sticker on a 2000 Chrysler Neon and said here is your car. You'd be upset, because when you bought the right you bought it with the understanding you were getting to drive a Ferrari, not a Neon with a ferrari sticker.

This is the issue with online games selling e-products. You never own anything really, and the game company can change what you bought at will. Compare Pox to Magic Online and you'll see a big difference. In MTGO your cards may not keep their value since supply, demand and the existane of other cards are the pricipal drivers of your card's worth, but they never suddenly have their text changed. Want to devalue my Force of Will, you're gona need to either make them more available, or make a better Force of Will. Either way what I paid for is unchanged, even if it's value isnt. I understand runes need to be changed for balance reasons, etc, but if I paid for a top of the line rune, I should still have one after changes are done. Major balancing should be done before a rune become available not afterwards.

These changes add uncertainty into the game, and for a game based consumers making multiple transactions, uncertaintly is a terrible thing. Screw me once, shame on you; screw me twice, shame on me. All it takes is one bad experience and that customer is gone. New players see what happended and it doesn't inspire confidence. Why should I spend my 50$ here on a something that tomorrow might not be what I paid for? It's bad business.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I understand your point, but I think even your examples are going a bit far. If I spend money on Pox, it is because of what I expect to get at this moment for my money. It's important to factor in that things might change, that runes may change, that Pox may collapse. When I say maintain value, I mean in any sense - rune text changing is part of that instability, and is a known element of the environment.

If that is bad for business, it is because people don't understand the warrants of the system. Now, that may be a reason to change things, but it isn't a reason per se.

10. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

It is true that Gedden originally didn't want to make Legendaries forgable, but the main thing is that he does actually listen to feedback (even if it takes some time).

The rune forge was a step in the right direction, and whilst i'll agree the values right now are harsh, making it difficult to use well, i'm pretty sure they said at some point they are planning to review the Forge pricing model when Legendaries are forgable.

I completely agree that there hasn't been sunshine and rainbows, its been slow progress in the right direction and I think even Gedden would admit that - I think he'd also want the community to keep pushing ideas and suggestions onto him as the community should always give the developers a direction to aim in.

Sorry if it came accross as a half truth, In future i'll try to explain what I mean a bit more clearly.

Hopefully we will get some good answers from the man himself on topics such as this on Friday in the Q&A.

Entrepidus likes this.
  11. Pravex

Pravex The King of Potatoes

Just to make you feel better, I have been playing pox since '07. If I go back through all of my transactions and trades I would probably be well over what you have spent twice over. If you want to know the number msg me.
    I do agree that with the old system it was wise for octopi and SONY to listen to some extent to their whales when marketing but the whole community always had a larger voice then us, which is fine. With that said, to me it looks like Desert is trying the play towards a heavier f2P community since it already has a solid foundation of a game, their investment is less of an impact and they have the ability to do this, with making money over a larger period of time.

Like most players already stated, you can to some extent look at it as an investment but with the volatility this game has gone through you can expect to lose value. I saw it coming a while ago and came to terms with it but I am glad the game is at least still going.

As a collector, I look for games that has the ability to last through the years and have a collectable side to it. The old Pox was but no more and I am ok with that, I will be enjoying the game till its end but will not be dumping the money in it like I use to with octopi.

If at the end of the day you are still upset about it then move on to something else that will give you that sense of collectable TCG or whatever.

Pravex

12. Leogratz

Leogratz Devotee of the Blood Owl

Just realized - I spent too much time playing poxnora for nothing but fun. I demand more fun or my time spent back.

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

hah noob