Why Pox failed 2017?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polltroy, Nov 12, 2018.

1. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

What is actually wrong with current state of game? Obviously after the PS4aunch most players abandonned game. Why. Id say there are several reasons:

1. its laggy
    2. it lacks chat, maybe chat was deactivated to make it quicker
    3. game balance / runes etc
    4. buggs

First lets rule put 3. Game was always changing and it did not kill it. Second about buggs. Sure this sucks but game always has this kinds of issues. It was never a problem. Third about chat. Why they could not fix it? Its because of the launcher is too slow I guess. So to nr 1. Why is launcher so slow?

At first I was thinking its such a complex game. So it could become slow. BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE. Its turn based. It does not nees to lagg while there is no move. In this state it just needs to detect mouse place and if there is any click. And move timer forward. But still there is lagg. I can only assume the core problem is either:

1. Pox latest version was programmed in some auper super stupid way. Like they failed by hiring some really stupid programmers.

or 2. This is problem with Unity language and can never be fixed by making bettwr code. Unity is high level language and just simply makes super slow applications.

Anyone who can correct me? Im hobby programmer, started at 10 in end 80th but never did it professional and have never heard of Unity before.

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

It doesn't matter what the cause of the problem is, there are no developers working on the game anymore.

3. polltroy

My theory is it failed because they choose this Unity language. And they gave up when realized they have basically to start from scratch in another language to fix it.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Unity is a mainstream platform and is a fully capable engine that can support many different kinds of games.

Examples of games built in Unity:
    • Hearthstone
    • Cuphead
    • Monument Valley 2
    • Inside
    • Ori and the Blind Forest
    • Cities: Skylines
    • Escape from Tarkov
    • Firewatch
    • World's Adrift
    This is a very short list of a much much bigger list. I purposefully picked an assortment of games designed to work on many platforms to illustrate how versatile Unity is.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Add to your list:

• It had a terrible developer

6. polltroy

Thanks for clearing this up. so obviously DOG failed on recruiting for the PS4 launch. So its about bad code, nothig else.