Why Strictly Adhering to a Costing Formula in Pox will never work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scrampy, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Heck, it isn't like they haven't doing it lately. Sokolov already exposed there are many champions with manual adjustments like a week ago, and Senshu already said they are working on the abilities prices.

2. scrampy

scrampy I need me some PIE!

This is all I ask for. Shimaru was there a post or announcement about this because if there was then I missed it. I just want the devs to be aware that they cannot continue to strictly follow a formula. At least in my opinion, that is what they have been doing/suggesting thus far but a post or announcement to the contrary would be relieving :).

3. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Ugh...

Try here:

4. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Even though it's not exactly what you're asking for, here's where Sok mentions the manual modifiers:
    This means that manual modifiers still exist and therefore can be used to change a rune's price.
    It might also be safe to assume they preserved this functionality for that reason.

5. scrampy

Not really what I was looking for, that is not a statement of intent of manually adjusting runes once the formulas are set in place. Additionally the premise of that thread is that abilities as a whole are under/over costed and will be likely be looked into but that is what blanket fixing is all about. The point is that you cannot balance this game by simply slapping an increased nora price on a champion's abilities as it will affect many other champions that are not causing a problem because they do not share the same faction/ability/stat synergy.

6. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

You might find this one interesting.

Shimaru and scrampy like this.
  7. scrampy

This is better. I figured they would preserve the functionality the question is will they use it when balancing OP champs as they have not done that since the revamp. Like you said they likely want to set up the formulas/ability pricing before manually adjusting a champion I just want to be reassured that they will balance the game by nerfing individual outliers rather than targeting or removing abilities on outliers because I have not seen it done nor have I seen any member of DoG state that it will be done once the revamp is complete.

8. scrampy

Yes! Thank you

9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i read the title and thought "yeah, i think we all agreed to that about a month ago"

read the thread and wasn't surprised

Sepulcher, Shimaru and BurnPyro like this.
  10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It has actually been how Pox worked since the beginning :)

11. scrampy

I know. I just wanted to make sure that was not changing with the revamp!

Sokolov likes this.
  12. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I think we all have seen the collateral damage global ability cost changes can deal....this is also "how pox worked since the beginning" ....some things should change.

Karmavore, Ragic and scrampy like this.
  13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I was referring specifically to the fact that there is a modifier available for manual adjustment, not the entire pricing process. The pricing process has actually changed quite a bit.

But either way I think you are not suggesting that they should remove the manual adjustment.

~

As for ability pricing, that part of the equation changed quite a bit. Early on, the formula plus ability costs were fairly strictly adhered to, and adjust abilities meant pricing changes on everything with that ability. This was also the era where champs tended not to have that many abilities, minimizing the compounding effects.

As time went on, less and less emphasis was placed on the formula and eventually abilities were not even given a nora cost, just added and removed from champions whose price was largely intuited.

So I would be curious as to exactly what you are talking about when you say "some things should change" because it seems like the aspect you alluded to has changed quite a bit over time.

Personally, I hope where we are headed in somewhere in between the two extremes :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    scrampy likes this.
  14. Thbigchief

- Well I think you were giving the public a poke when you said " It has actually been how Pox worked since the beginning :)" So a harmless poke was sent back.

- So I would be curious as to exactly what you are talking about when you say "some things should change"....Well my meaning is cleverly hidden in the beginning of my post :D. I would like this portion to change... Champ 1 is OP and has ability X that is "linked" to champ 1 being OP.... ability X is nerfed ..Champ 1 is "balanced" Yay?!.....However now Champs 2-10 that were Balanced/UP that happen to have ability X are now F'd... but no one cared.

- This has already happened a couple times, All heros/titans are not equal... hero and titan ability receive nora reduction...heros and titans are not changed at all in relation to each other, other then all being cheaper by the same amount. Surge enemy and some other stuff as well. So I agree, hopefully we dont slide to either extreme of formula vs manual... but Im hopeful as its early on.

15. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

this thread is still alive?

16. Thbigchief

- Only have to deal with these until Pox is all completely balanced and everything is free and game still makes money...or Jennifer Aniston get's married.

17. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i'm available

js