Witches: What now?

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by SireofSuns, Dec 21, 2016.

1. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Welp, it's finally happened. The bug that was the bane of the Witch theme from the dawn of time, is no longer a bug. IT IS REAL. THE END IS UPON US! REPENT! REPE-

Ahem.

But seriously folks, Witches got beaten with the nerf bat, even if not intentionally or directly.

So, here's what happened:

1] Elsari Coven got changed. No longer does it affect enemy champions on deploy (unless they deploy into your DMZ).

2] Coven Claw lost Shadestrike.

3] Shadestrike was changed from this:
    "When this champion makes a successful basic attack, spaces within 3 spaces of the target becomes a Dead Magic Zone for 6 turns."​
    To this:
    "When this champion makes a successful basic attack, spaces within 2 spaces of the target becomes a Dead Magic Zone for 3 turns."​

What this means is that our two main sources for Cursing the enemy, and keeping them Cursed, have both hit hard.

In my opinion, for the Witch theme to remain viable, we will need to make more use of spells and relics that create DMZ, as well as non-Witch champions that can create DMZ easily.

I am open to suggestions, but here are some of my predictions of how the Witch theme can remain viable (only in terms of stuff for Cursing the enemy and keeping them Cursed):

Runes to include:
    CHAMPS
    2x Votary (ranged Shadestrike and Pain Curse)
    2x Inkblight (DMZ, Coven)
    2x Dark Seductress (Shadestrike)
    1-2x Bokor (Cursed Treasure, Coven)
    1x Experimental Warspirit (Desecrate Earth, Revel In Misery, use as an tank/melee beater)
    1-2x Shadestriker (ranged Shadestrike)
    +(anything good that has coven)
    SPELLS
    1-2x Despoil
    1-2x Darkweave
    1x Witching Hour
    1-2x Arcane Enervation
    1x Ritual of Ashes
    1x Soulbane
    RELICS
    1-2x Ark of the Elsari/Arroyo Portal
    1x Defiling Spinel (possibly a Nora Gem sub-module with 2x Spinel and 2x Jasper?)
    1-2x Hourglass
    EQUIPS
    1x Ghost Pendant (dropped can Curse enemies)

I am open to suggestions that may make me feel less sad. :(

2. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

I'm just sad that Coven Claw was shoeboxed.

There is just basically no reason to run a Coven Claw over a Dark Seductress as the Dark Seductress is so much better.

Coven Claw's signature ability Essence Claw is just a gimmick and won't really win you any games.

Taking Shadestrike away really was a killing blow to Coven Claw. :(

3. SireofSuns

I am sad about it too, though...
    I always felt like Coven Claw, without Shadestrike, is very gimmicky. I feel the same way about the Croma stuff for the most part.
    Coven Claw, Croma, even Dark Familiar to a smaller extent, none of them really have much synergy with the Witch theme.
    But then, I've always run Dark Seductress of Coven Claw.

4. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

What about taking witches and playing them as a denial theme? FW has a ton of stuff which make opponants champs less effective.

Also now with the hit to shadestrike, think the arc will be used more?

5. SireofSuns

That's always true, thought I don't play them for that usually. The DMZ/Curse stuff was just their main shtick, while the denial stuff was a smaller module.

Maybe? I like and will try using it more.
    Though I think that more people will be interested in using Arroyo Portal due to it spawning free-ish meat. (I like Ark more, as I just want it for the DMZ)

6. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Heres what i'm running for my DMZ battle group. So far I really like this BG, because I HATE offensive spells. This deck really cuts down on that. pvp dead magic zone.PNG

7. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

I swapped out a nether wraith for a wretched witch

8. SireofSuns

I might switch out something for another Votary, and try to find space for Elsari Coven champs. That way you can more easily capitalize on the DMZ.