World Cup @Brasil 2014!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pedeguerra, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Phew. Again.

2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

HAHAHA

also mexican dude praying on the bench just before second Dutch goal.

3. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

I was rooting for the NA teams.

:(

4. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

Yeah 2 Goals in the last 6 minutes against my country :( lol

Guess I will be rooting for Brazil or Holand now zzz

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  5. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

2 of the first 3 "sudden death" games were just Superb!! Feel bad for Chile and Mexico, defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory... in the last seconds too. :(

Colombia is healthy and looks ready to capitalize on Brazil's massively long effort. James with 5 goals now. FTW.

6. Andralexis

Andralexis I need me some PIE!

Brazil did not win, Chile lost. Same for Mexico.

Hoping Brazil gets the cup, and cheering for USA and Costa Rica to stay in the competition. Colombia looks rock solid, so the best of this World Cup is yet to come.

7. DarkJello

Did Mexico really lose, or is Robben just a SUPERB flopper?? I wish flopping was punished MUCH more often.

8. Andralexis

Andralexis I need me some PIE!

It's part of the mexican football legacy, each and every match in a World Cup where Mexico is playing there is a questionable referee decision against the Mexican team. 4 years ago Blatter had to come out and apologize to England and Mexico for the refereeing errors that let both out of the Cup. It's so much part of the competition the team has learnt how to cope with it very well (see the match against Cameroon, or against Croatia).

Personally, considering USA gifted Mexico the opportunity of being in the World Cup, they showed a significant improvement. A year ago the team was in ruins. So they did amazingly well.

- - - - -

Rant/observations aside, the Cup has been amazing, enjoyable and full of emotion. Wish we had competitions like this one every two or three years, with this level of showmanship and football to feast one's eyes upon.

st3ck and DarkJello like this.
  9. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

I love World Cup season, the dirty refs is just part if the FIFA way, like any other major sporting events with lots of money changing hands.

But I feel Barclays premier league has a better concentration of all these players on the same team.

Looking at you RM and Barcelona.

I'm still cheering for NA, so less go USA and Costa Rica!

(Central America is north of South America, it counts)

10. Pedeguerra

I feel bad for Mexico. I trully do.
    World Cup is awesome, though, stick with Brasil guys!

11. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

RIP USA

12. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

great extra time.

13. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Tim Howard deserves a medal.

14. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

USA USA USA USA US

what

15. DarkJello

USA had enough chances for the equalizer, beating everyone but the goalie, and just not finishing.

Credit to Belgium for dominating in the first half of overtime, and most of regular time, but they must have felt some frustration that 'Murica refused to die. And then right when it seemed a lock, a 19 y/o kid scores a perfect goal out of nowhere. That was beautiful and such. Tears of joy. But again, those Yankees arguably should have scored again in the final 10 minutes of ye olde football. I so wanted to see it come down to Penalty Kicks. Schucks. Congrats to the waffle peeps. They are legit. I hope and pray they defeat Argentina!! See, me no bitter. Just want to experience more epicsauce footy-bally. :cool:

16. Pedeguerra

I got home just in time for US missing the last chance to score, after that foul. Shame.
    Grats on the US, though, you guys managed to qualify in the toughest group of all.
    I'm pretty sure you guys will get further on Russia 2018, the coach is that good.

17. DarkJello

The U.S. goalkeeper was a beast – diving, leaping, flying through the air and positioning himself perfectly – but was powerless to prevent Belgium's 2-1 victory that sent the Americans home from Brazil.

Recognition as the standout performer on the field was entirely justified, but in no way did the personal credit take the edge off the disappointment he felt at the U.S.’ exit.

“None of that really matters to me,” Howard said. “It is part of the job. It hurts when we lose, whether I had no saves or 20 saves, it doesn’t mean any more or less.”

With someone other than Howard minding the American net things could have quickly gotten ugly at the Arena Fonte Nova. His 16 saves are the most on record during a World Cup match and his performance made him only the third player in this tournament to win man of the match while being on the losing team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/tim-h...ve-u-s--against-belgium-004520314-soccer.html

(Emphasis mine).

Not a record you really brag about, but quite an accomplishment all things considered. Best of luck to Belgium. Quality squad all the way around.

18. Pedeguerra

Yeah, Howard is a pretty good goalie. As said, shame you guys lost.
    I'm excited about this, however - I have no idea how long it has been since the best 8 teams from the group stage went to play against each other on the quarter finals.

19. DarkJello

I guess the following will be victorious:

Colombia. Germany. Netherlands. Belgium. Then Germany and Netherlands in final, with Germany winning the whole enchilada.

Wild guesses of course... unless I am right. Cause that would mean I divined the results with mystical precision. ;)

20. Pedeguerra

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????? You think Brasil wont make it to the final? Shame on you bud, I think we got this - biased opinion, of course.
    I'm sensing Brasil x Germany and Netherlands x Argentina, with Brasil x Argentina on the finals, and Brasil champion.
    This cup will be south american.