World Cup @Brasil 2014!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pedeguerra, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Well, for all I care you are talking to yourselves, because whoever is trolling here has been on my ignore list for quite a bit now

Andralexis likes this.
  2. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Perchance Andralexis will name names, instead of being all enigmatic up in here.

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

either jello or poxineer. probably poxineer, though jello is a safe ignore for the spamham

Anyhow. I didn't think much of the netherlands before, they played well though. I feel like spain outplayed themselves more than anything. Casillias lost his cool after the two goals and just became complete trash. No idea why they didn't put villa and/or torres in the starting line-up or switched around faster. It looked like in the second half they just mentally gave up, which is rare for spain. They lost their nerve.

gotta hand it to Van Gaal though, the 3-2-5 setup was very effective vs the spanish midfield domination. Just kept everything locked up.

4. DarkJello

BurnPyro DarkJello

83 43

Tyrant of spamham complaining about a peasant of spamham is just more hypocrisy.

Facts. The more you know. (Above requires literacy, math skills, logic, and honesty).

5. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

anybody that calls jello a troll it's a troll himself

6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I never said I don't spam. I consider myself the biggest troll around these forums anyhow. It's just that you don't play this game nor do you ever add anything game related to any discussion. Your replies are just flamboyant outbursts that have nothing to do with this game in any shape or form. I honestly don't know why you visit these game forums unless you want to become the second ragic.

@gab You should just subscribe to me, then you can find all my posts easily and cry about them.

7. DarkJello

I love how "the biggest troll around these forums" complains about a spamham in an Off-Topic thread about the World Cup.

The root of the problem is that I type coherent statements and your brain only sees "things". Evolve and such. Libre albedrio.

On Topic:

Couple shady matches followed by 2 good matches. World Cup is starting to heat up. Good luck Yankees!! (Gonna need it).

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I tend to joke about game-related things, you never do, as said above. Which renders your coherent statements useless as they are never adding any insight to any topic. For the sake of not having to quote obnoxious paragraphs I prefer things. If I hurt your feelings, perhaps I should have referred to it as off-topic nonsense.

Anyhow, referees still dumb in soccer as per usual.

9. Andralexis

Andralexis I need me some PIE!

It's really funny how you decide to post that sentence, given that the following is completely NOT a fact:

After your little "history lesson" right here, I decided to run a small investigation about it. It sounded weird, you know?

There's no recorded alternative ANYWHERE for both terms in british texts, broadcasts nor books. I am mentioning it because, if the "Brits" actually stopped calling to "soccer football" both "soccer" and "football", it's completely logical another term was used to substitute those, right? I mean, the sport certainly did not disappear at all, as it has been in a process of constant growing and evolution since the kingdom of Henry IV of England (which, by the way, was the first one to give documented use of the term "football").

So, if your statement was true, englishmen somehow managed to play football soccer without referring to it at all, not even in records. I wonder how they managed to make it the most popular sport in the world without giving it a name.

Yes, we have "Association Football", yet it is still football, and people still called it "Football". The working class and the laymen still called it football, and only the upper echelons of the British class used the term "Soccer" at the end of the 19th century. Official rules for Football like the Sheffield Rules (1858) had been printed decades ago, and you will not find a single mention of the term "soccer" if you decide to read them.

British never stopped using both "Soccer" and "Football" when talking about "Football". It is actually the other way around, Americans started using "Soccer" to talk about "Football" and then labeled their own version as "true" "Football" while the rest of the world still used the original terms (as they still do, it's called FIFA and not FISA for a reason). Even the United States Soccer Federation was originally known as the United States Football Association, which pre-dates the earliest incarnation of the NFL by 6-7 years.

I could cite all my sources but honestly this is already quite the wall of text, so the links will have to suffice. Do you mind citing yours to back up your so-called facts?

Not that I mind that America uses the "Football" term in a way that is wrong for the rest of the world. Given that the current world advancement lays directly on american shoulders I personally think you can call stuff however you want, you have earned that concession (at the very least).

TL;DR Sources, Jello. Or are you pulling an atomic on us?

Also, don't forget the USA is also part of the ConCACAf (I don't think it's a pun, but very much intended yes).

BurnPyro likes this.
  10. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Too be fair, football, American football, and rugby share a common sport ancestor in Europe from which the name is derived, that being a sport played on your feet, not necessarily with your feet . That's the only reason its called football here in the states, and technically its gridiron football or something like that and "football" is technically called association football. Anyway, another theory holds that both gridiron and association football trace back to medieval rugby where you used both feet to kick a goal but also had the option to carry it over the goal line. The two sports then drifted extenuating the two different aspects of the older Rugby. I bring it up since i found it interesting when I was looking this up a few years back.

Anyway " WE BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN"......kinda sorta maybe.

Wish Scotland would of made it to the cup, would of loved to root for them.

11. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Am i the only one who thinks the last game was the best? The Aussies were so close :( and watching Spain being beaten like an old rug wasn't all that fun.

12. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Impressed by the Aussies, I was proper rooting for them at the end.

And to all the Italians out there... today we will make you hurt.

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

italy vs england will be interesting

neither team seems to be on the top level they were on a couple of years back, but perhaps they can surprise us. Should be a good showing of who's good enough to make some dents in the tourney.

14. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Jello is a mostly nice guy tho

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Never said he wasn't

fatty

16. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Costa Rica will be in final, I bet a bronze token.

17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Uruguay

Honestly..

18. DarkJello

Much respect for Costa Rica!! That was beyond unexpected. Perchance they will make a run.

Etymology and names
    Main article: Names for association football
    The rules of association football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863 and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of footballplayed at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association".[33]

Within the English-speaking world, association football is now usually called football in the United Kingdom, and mainly soccer in Canada and the United States. Other countries, such as Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, may use either or both terms interchangeably.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football

Today I found out the origin of the word “soccer”. For all you out there who love to complain when Americans, and certain others, call “Football”, “Soccer”, you should know that it was the British that invented the word and it was also one of the first names of what we now primarily know of as “Football”.

In fact, in the early days of the sport among the upper echelons of British society, the proper term for the sport was “Soccer”. Not only that, but the sport being referred to as “Soccer” preceded the first recorded instance of it being called by the singular word “Football” by about 18 years, with the latter happening when it became more popular with the middle and lower class. When that happened, the term “Football” gradually began dominating over “Soccer” and the then official name “Association Football”.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

Again, the more you know. :)

19. Andralexis

Andralexis I need me some PIE!

So, you basically have no sources for your "Brits stopped using both Soccer and Football" terms claim? Because all you wrote is stuff I had already pointed out and you didn't even bother backing up the comment that sparked all this. Again, Brits never stopped using both "Soccer" and "Football" (as it is obviously a part of "Association Football", it's right there for God's sake, and it was the term that spawned the "Soccer" term).

Also, that "Today I found out" source is misleading (that's the reason I did not use it as source in my first post), the Sheffield rules by themselves render that last paragraph false, given that they are specifying the rules for "Soccer" without even using the term. If you had took the time to read the comments in that article you would have realized several people point exactly what I'm saying. Sadly the author apparently denies to update his own article, and has not replied to my e-mails. Would add a comment in his site btw but it's gonna be buried since those are displayed in a chronological basis.

Yup, Soccer is "Oxford" slang, Oxford students invented the term (but not the game), which popularized years after the sport was played almost as it is played today.The very names of the oldest Football Clubs suggest that the game was played as Football before the term Soccer was invented (Sheffield still being the best source of this).

And that would leave the timeline for the term in UK as follows:

- 1858 : Football (oldest ruleset I found preserved is from 1858, but I am pretty sure there are other codesets even older; if we were counting mere descriptions of the game to be valid then the Vocabula by David Wedderburn would pretty much predate any other source by at least one century)
    - 1863 : Association Football (1863)
    - 1895 : Soccer (being Oxford slang since 1866, but the whole thing might be a myth since it's credited to Charles Wedford Brown a few years before he was born)
    - circa 1910 : Football again (the FIFA was created in 1904)

History is cool indeed.

- - - - -

Greece defeated by Colombia in a convincing way. Then Costa Rica coming back from a bad start and winning that match.

And that van Persie goal... This World Cup is going way better than the 2010 one.

20. DarkJello

Point #1: Cool beans and such.

Point #2: Agree 100%.

Point #3: First 2 matches each contained terrible calls by the refs, while the remainder have indeed contained SPECTACULAR goals.

Good day and God bless.