Worms Ground Zero

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by kalasle, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I dropped one Titan and replaced it with a twilight creeper.
    Its a good champion but he is costy and situational,but in the right conditions he can be quite worth it.

2. Djangoguy

Djangoguy The King of Potatoes

I just cant play BGs with no range power, I'll wait til I get 2x Eyes and Blinking Creepers to test worms out

3. Netherzen

The firepower is Bile Zombies.They are the most important and efficient part of the bg.Taking advantage of bile zombies is the key to worm victory.
    The lack of range can be very frustrating but its managable.I run shroud on my dusk creeper to protect myself from range.

Djangoguy likes this.
  4. Djangoguy

Djangoguy The King of Potatoes

Yea, I'll try them out, maybe adding a Dead Fairy, just to feel more confortable :p

Later on I'll post my BG here for advices :)

Netherzen likes this.
  5. Netherzen

Good luck,worms are not a easy theme.

Djangoguy likes this.
  6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

bomberman3.png

Here is the most recent version of the deck. Colossus has Aura/Lord right now, and that's likely the best build for worms. The Aura doesn't play well with the team, which would be my reason for cutting it out, but it also boosts his damage output considerably and can trigger Lord. The single Eye hasn't wow'd me yet, but there's time. Both Putrids are with Scour/Harvest now. I love the heck out of Consume, and Aura kicks butt for the same reason as it does on the Colossus, but that build can't work as well now. Worms need some mixture of superbly careful play and specific interactions, and Harvest is the easiest of any of those. Aura helps with damage, but Scour keeps costs down and plays much better with the rest of the team. On Colossus, turning him into a missile or at least shuffling him around can minimize team damage, but Putrid often needs to follow the whims of the globes, and is much more valuable alive, so Aura hurts a lot more.

As for support, I'm kicking in Ancient's Protection because it solves a ton of potential problems. The risk of whiffing sucks hard, but set play like Doom -> AP can help you sniff out potential opposing spells. Snuff also works well, mainly for Lumbering. Against some factions, Pariah also does great work. Because the large majority of champions here count for the trigger clause (even Bile), so it easily costs 21 or under. Even if that forces out the cheapest cleanse sources in the game, that's still a value proposition. Skull of Decay runs backup for contesting fonts and helps gimp BGs that run heavy on heal; it took Festering Wounds's place.

Worms are still a bunch of fun and probably competitive. I really want to see someone else pick these up seriously, so that other folks can give some takes on the theme. They are certainly complicated, but it's not as bad as people say. Be different! Run an abusive theme! Play worms!

Woffleet likes this.
  7. Netherzen

Try to find room for a death guard.He is amazing at keeping worms alive long enough for necrosis.Also easy globe for putrid.Slam can be good in weird situations but i find it quite common since worms are anything but normal.Also bone traps.I used to run 2 but 1 is enough.The champion spawned is real so its superb for font contesting while you build up necrosis.

I played worms in ranked before the midterms and won most of my games.The ones i did not win,i made too many mistakes and i think i stood a chance to win in those game as well.Worms are a solid theme,they can match most stuff in ranked and will utterly destroy any inefficient bg or someone not prepared to face the bile zombies.

My issue with the worms is that they are very defensive and passive agressive now.I won every single game(or could have won),thanks to bile zombie spam.Everything else is just there to assist bile zombies either by delaying the enemy or expanding the zone.This theme used to be much much more.It was about agressive front contensting mixed with attrition.It was a giant worm that forced its way up your opponents rectum and then forcefuly exited thru his mouth.The theme is just too boring/defensive for me in the current state.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Gonna try out some new tech: Chopping Blocks. They fit (almost) perfectly into what worms want to do. Downsides: stealing kills, killing Carrionlings.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Current problems: raw stats. Having a hell of a time cutting through efficient, burly melee. Anyone got good ideas on that front? Blocks feel good-ish, although they are surprisingly slow. The current format involves a lot of straight HP, so they don't do that much work.

10. 15Deadmen

15Deadmen The King of Potatoes

ED, reapers blade, DR altar, doom, shank? :D

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Running it, no good targets, the exact opposite of what I need, running it, too expensive and out of theme.

ED and Doom help, but they are still better against single powerful units. Reaper's Blade doesn't have the old Dusk, so it would end up on crappy, squishy units. DR Altar is terrible against raw stats, it's for cutting through resistances and abilities. Shank costs too much in too many ways to be a viable option.

12. 15Deadmen

15Deadmen The King of Potatoes

well, we have the best spell set to ignore hp :/
    worms arent buffy to begin with, and have no boost. I think ED and doom are your best bet. Doom something, go back into the Deployment zone. If it comes too close, kill it for necrosis.

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Maybe. FW actually doesn't have a ton of answers to raw HP. Essence Drain is good if that HP is clumped on a single target, same with Doom. Those answers are for single units though, and when facing down multiple ~50-55 HP units, they aren't going to cut it. FW is great at cutting through super champs, defensive abilities, and all-in strategies, but that's not what's posing a problem right now.

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Downside to Blocks: you get blown up even worse by Font Eruption and anti-relic.

Pretty convinced at this point that worms are tier ~2. They don't actually have any way to benefit from their SDZ, besides Bile Zombies. Unfortunately, BZ isn't a catch-all, and they otherwise fall flat to damage output. They just can't compete on straight stats -- the matches where they win are when the margin between Worms's power and the opposing power can be compensated for by the comparative efficiency of Bile Zombie.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Revamping the deck yet again. This time, going to try using Eye of Serkan and Colossus a lot more, and dropping the Blocks entirely. I think the version that tries to grind out with Blocks is tier 2 because there isn't enough raw firepower. Eye with Surge/Vitality and the Carrionlings from Colossus make up for that, to some extent. I'll post a list some time later.

16. Netherzen

What made colossus amazing for me was vivify and swarm.Vivify can offer amazing ap gen(especialy if you are gonna use range like eye of serkan).There is also a small but potent snowball from swarm.

17. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I'm getting that temptation to play worms again, hopefully it will pass.

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I'm going Aura/Lord. I think that's the best way to grind out value from the guy, and, crucially, get triggers on SDZ. Swarm is neat, but Aura deals damage. Will keep experimenting though, maybe Swarm would be strong in this kind of setup. No sold on dropping Lord for Vivify though -- did that ever seem worth it?

19. Netherzen

Yes.Most of my deployment zone generation came from putrid creeper.I tend to deploy him asap.
    I had many matches where i had plenty of deployment zone but just not enough champions and meat on board.Ap is more valuable on a champion with 13 damage and swarm then some deployment zone.

20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I'm just not sure how much AP it would actually generate. I know it can be great -- I was running him with Viv before the buffs and rework -- but that environment also had much cheaper Rotmaws. I will try out Viv, based on your recommendation, but definitely not psyched to give up Lord.