Worms...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elric, May 8, 2017.

1. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Thats a huge nora increase. Short lived also makes its globe easier to collect for creeping harvest and you can retreat it to have it die within the SDZ it is a very major nerf

2. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

an fw player defending that broken rune is no surprise

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

i usually lose once i start to spam bile zombies.

4. Durand

Durand Active Member

I'm not experienced enough to comment, but I do anyway ;). From what I have read and seen so far, it seems to me that Worms might have been powerful long time ago, but it has been nerfed badly. It is hard to find anyone playing them nowadays. Those few games I have seen, Worms have always lost. And if they happened to actually win some day, that is most probably only because of skill/experience of the player. That kind of experienced player would win more easily with something like KF, but that wouldn't be a challenge :)

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Worms are pretty interesting because it's mechanically different than anything else in the game.

The Necrosis and related abilities provide a permanent advantage on the board - which nothing else in the game really does - everything else can be technically erased somehow. Someone is ahead of you by 500 nora in champions? You can theoretically make up that deficit even if it's unrealistic, but someone who has +15 Shrine Deployment Zone on you isn't something you can actually "counter play."

The word counterplay gets through around a lot on these forums, but I think a lot of times it gets mis-used. Because if Necrosis has no "counterplay" and is therefore bad then most of the game also falls into this category. If I deploy an initiative champion, it gains the AP no matter what and you have no "counterplay" but the fact of the matter is that the board state and the nora invested in the ability is what allows for that benefit to be manifested.

In the case of Necrosis/Worms design, the fundamental idea of them has always been slow creep. They were, by design, intended to be investing some of their nora into a long term advantage. This is why their champions are not quite right by normal standards for the most part (recently Surge was removed from one of them partly for this reason) and Necrosis itself really doesn't DO anything side from the creeping. The permanence IS a potential problem, and I will admit it's clearly a perception problem, but I am not sure it's a balance problem in of itself. The fact that X or Y build/ability can derive a long-term advantage by paying some additional short-term isn't specifically a Worms/Creepers thing, but is how much of the game is structured. Again, the difference is primarily that this is "permanent" but even then in most cases, built up advantages are realistically not counterable - at some point, you are just too much behind and lose. But the Necrosis advantage often doesn't FEEL like the enemy is winning because it's kind of in the background - you are aware of it, but it doesn't feel threatening the same way as being surrounded by enemy champions, but either way, he has X nora invested in some advantage now over you in either scenario.

So what IS the problem with Worms? I think anyone following the discussions on Worms over the past while will notice one consistent theme - BILE ZOMBIE.

It is always mentioned, and fundamentally one can see why. The Bile Zombie design is an overefficient AE that has severe restrictions on its use - a restriction that Necrosis eventually mitigates almost completely. When this is achieved in a Worms deck, it makes it very difficult to fight back at that point since the Bile Zombie can be used over and over, dealing both damage and applying Blinded.

So what's the solution, if there is need of one? Perhaps it's as simple as introducing an SDZ reduction not to non-Worms again, so that deploying BZ over and over will contract the Creep. Additionally or alternatively, it can be argued that the benefit of the SDZ growth is worth more than the 4 nora it current costs.

But I really don't think the solution is to fundamentally redesign the whole thing and change the way the theme plays from the ground up, especially to something more "normal" or "standard." It seems to me the game will be more interesting if we embraced playstyle differences between themes as opposed to trying to push them towards a homogenized state.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    aseryen, Woffleet, Tweek516 and 2 others like this.
  6. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

I think you are wrong @Sokolov this game dont benefit from worms, deep leviathaian/sea song, ethereal pool/spell trap, time slip shrine rush, arroweater/majestic or other gimmick bg's. The good thing is that the players that are still around are so bored of these bg's that even if they are super efficient they/we dont use them because its...

7. Sokolov

There's a fundamental difference between theme playstyle vs "gimmick-BGs" that largely rely on the interactions of a couple specific runes.

The thing is that such decks have existed throughout the entire history of Pox and have consistently been nerfed, but in either case most players play fairly standard decks (which also get complained about as being boring/samey while at the same time any decks that play even slightly different are complained about).

I also don't think many of them are "super efficient" but are instead often described hyperbolically. That said, if they are actively "abusive" and consistently winning, they are pretty much nerfed immediately. I mean, next patch is actually nerfing at least 3 of those decks you mentioned so... yea.

Regardless, whatever happens to be ran recently people complain about as super broken, no matter how broken it actually may or may not be; it's just how it goes.

aseryen likes this.
  8. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I mean I can't speak for the whole population of pox, but for the vast majority of people I know. No one enjoys playing against worms, or enjoys playing with them.

9. Sokolov

This is what people say about decks they don't like in general though. It's very rare for anyone to say, "This deck is OP and broken and I love playing against it."

aseryen likes this.
  10. super71

Their is a pretty wide spread hatred of worms in the community and fw so fw+worms= sad player base

11. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

There is no difference anymore in PvP, it was before when it was possible to play FF in rank
    and with DoW removed, maybe heroes not being FF anymore its just back to the circus. You have so much lore & themes in this game, stop work against them :)
    if worms was a theme, necrosis SDZ would only apply to units with necrosis
    well its not a big problem, its maybe 1 of 3 games vs FW that are against Worms, (my feeling no statistics at all base on that number)

12. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I like using worms and i also think they're one of the most interesting matches. Most people just suck hard with them

Woffleet likes this.
  13. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Well, that is true, I can't deny that. But if we use SL or frost amp for example, people that use it actually enjoy playing the bg and yes, some people hate playing against these bg's but it's nowhere near to the extent on worms. It's just seems from the experiences I've seen, nearly everyone absolutely hates playing against worms or playing with them, which to me kinda shows it's not a healthy design to have in the game.

Keep in mind however this isn't based of stats, and is most likely not accurate in the slightest, this is just my opinion of how it's viewed by people, so don't think I'm trying to shove facts down your throats about how creepers kill pox.

14. Sokolov

There's a fundamental difference between theme playstyle vs "gimmick-BGs" that largely rely on the interactions of a couple specific runes.

And that is that theme playstyles are defined by the design of all of the runes within the theme. It's something that's specifically intended by the game and will continue to be developed. Most of the runes in such a deck work thematicaly with the other runes in the deck or are just generally good runes in a variety of situations.

Nerfing one or two random runes in a theme typically does not change the way the theme plays, but modifies its power level.

~

On the other hand, a "gimmick" BG is typically about one or two specific interactions between runes which may or may not even be designed with each other in mind. Often, it is an older rune interacting with a new rune, or may even be a bug. Most of the other runes in such a deck are designed to aid in the interaction of the gimmick or stall long enough to allow the gimmick to manifest.

In most cases, nerfing any of the non-key runes does nothing to the deck other than slow it down slightly or make it a bit more vulnerable against certain decks. But nerfing the key runes in the deck will almost certainly destroy the entire deck and render it unplayable.

~

See the difference?

15. super71

I actually don't have a problem with bile zombie when playing against worms, you know he's coming when you see worms or zombies so just throw a meat pile out front and block his path or position your champs properly.

The problem with worms is they are cheap as hell and expanding your deployment zone is a bad racial. It's a bad racial because it gets to a point where worms can be dropped in the opposing shrine almost or on a font which is silly. Also the deployment zone never decreases really so after a few worm deploys the other player is at a severe disadvantage due to the increased threat range on shrines/fonts.

Ultimately it's too powerful and needs a way to combat it or a bigger drawback.

16. Sokolov

I think it's more of a perception problem. Worms occupy a fairly unique space - it's really the only deck of its type. If there were more of these "alternative" decks, people would start to evaluate the board states different and perhaps more accurately. A lot of times the complaints against Worms stem from the fact that it's difficult to evaluate the "value" of the expanded SDZ and if you feel like you were winning until the forward deploys, then you will be frustrated and consider it unhealthy - but if you are evaluating the expanded SDZ as a significant advantage then it makes more sense. Now, again, maybe it's overpowered and should cost more for the advantage you get, but that's a different issue.

All other decks are evaluated largely based on board state of champions and relics, but Worms isn't, particularly with BZ.

17. Sokolov

Also, keep in mind Pox has very few players now and we have always nerfed stuff just because people hated it. So maybe that's been the wrong approach?

Regardless, the next patch does nerf Necrosis with a -2 SDZ for non-Worms, so we'll see if that helps at all, but I suspect it won't - as you said, people just don't like Worms.

18. super71

Expanded deployment zone creates a larger threat zone because it covers half the board and is hard to reduce the deployment zone once it's hit critical mass.

19. super71

Wasn't the worms bonus similar to something like -1 sdz for non worms before ?

20. PoxAurora

PoxAurora The King of Potatoes

So play a non-worm champ and your SDZ decreases by 2? Seems like a great way to nuke the theme. Worms themselves aren't that competitive, and I doubt they can survive a -2SDZ hit for the necessary non-worm champs. The whole active penalty for going out of theme, I'm struggling to think of anything comparable on another racial.