worries about the big change

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AmmonReros, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

We agree, just not totally. I understand these runes need to be subpar to start, my only problem, to restate again, is how far they're allowed to go past that bar. But, they can receive the added advantage of reaching up and grabbing on to that bar (relatively all by themselves), where other champions would have to get gobs of outside help.

2. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I think there's two functions to consider when analyzing how far a snowball can go. Firstly, how quickly do they escalate? (poor choice of words since that's one of the abilities in question). Secondly, do they/allies enable the escalation passively or actively?

To be honest, my only real problem with your solution Mercer Skye is that it doesn't feel "elegant". If we solve this problem I think there must be a better way if that makes any sense.

3. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

And I can respect that. I fully well could be wrong that a static cap on stats isn't the right direction. I just believe it is.

4. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

the biggest problem with snowballers is that they are also good in 1vs1 situations at the very beginning of the game, that leads to some stupid tactics being really efficient:

"Should I shove this magnus up this guy face?"
    "..."
    "Sure why not"
    Paladin general.

5. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Basically

6. jesterman7

jesterman7 The King of Potatoes

I think there can be a happy medium.

Even if you like the game complicated you have to admit its not good for new players. This means less people stick around. Less people=less money=the game being sold or dying. Ta da. More players+more money for longevity and improvements? Or stick to only have 2K active people in the lobby until it dies?

The problem isn't just abilities it is the combination of abilities and status updates. When you only have 90 seconds to make a turn its very hard to see what is going on with everyone unless you do it by pure knowledge which takes a long long time. I played with my friend who was trying to get into it and Sandstalker had near 20 things on him to hover over on only around turn 5 (abilities, stand stuff, disease stuff). Having 10 plus things one each rune on the field is near impossible for new people to learn. You have your 6 abilities, race, and class to look at. That's 8 things before factoring in what those things at the most basic level.

That being said it doesn't mean every rune only has to have one ability or overly simplify it. Pox Nora is essentially battle chess. There is median between 3 level chess and checkers.

7. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

As long as the champions keep their signature abilities, it should be fine.

And by "fine" I mean:
    huskies.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  8. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Ah, but the trick is finding a set of suggested changes which achieve that happy medium. I believe that the OP's concern is in regards to the level of success and resulting level of complexity on that scale you mentioned that will come from DoG's changes.

AmmonReros likes this.
  9. Monyx

Monyx I need me some PIE!

I do agree with the OP to some extent......when this game just becomes checkers. and all the champs have dodge block and defense 1 ill just quit and play something else......and all the people who couldnt hack it i guess can enjoy it then.......since for some reason they just want all champs do have 6 abilities? im all for cleaning up unwanted/unneeded abilities but it really seems like some people just are tryin to simplify the game so they can compete easier..........its like if we were playing chess and my opponent says "Hey can we play with only pawns?" im gonna of course look at him like hes a ******. but yea the only 2 things i play right now are chess and pox......if after the revamp the champs only have dodge and block well im fairly sure thats gonna be boring......i agree that alot of stuff needs changing.....but at the same time we dont want to simplify until the game can be played by anyone....cause then....to me.....it wont be pox.....i dont play games that anyone can play.......i dont play games that a 10 year old can understand by day 2......the reason why? well cause im not 10....and im not so simple minded that i cant process complex interactions. to me that is half the fun.....

now this is in no way saying that i think champs like augur and aspect of chaos are ok.......they are not ok......but i dont think its cause they have lots of abilities....i think the way those abilities work are the problem. anyways we shall see what happens....i hope for the good of the game everyone is happy......but i already know someone will not be......cause most people find it easier to complain than to learn/think/adapt/evolve.

with that being said i do welcome these changes......i have faith that owl will not kill pox and will not make it a morons game.

rickyjpen likes this.
  10. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

I think everyone wants that happy medium. Streamlined but still complex and thoughtful. You don't need a hundred things on one rune to make it good, you need a good BG of runes that do things well TOGETHER.

Even in 2007 Pox had a ton of fun abilities. Some of the new mechanics are fun and cool, like charges were and still are a cool thing.

But now you have your hyaenid racials, barb, yeti, mirefolk racials etc etc. You have solo: rover: equip: cast: call: grant: deploy:. Twelve different flavors of warcry. Tempo, resolute, ponderous, lethargic, shatter, recycle, pilfer, searing aura, fire aura, wisdom, council, bulwark, brand, phase shift, phase cleansing, provision, 18 abilities with blood in the title.

Complexity is good. But we're past the healthy zone and flying deep in the unhealthy zone of complexity here.

11. Gedden

Gedden Administrator Octopi

I have been avoiding posting on this thread until I have some concrete information. There are some ideas being played with and we will have an update for all of you to chew on soon. I think even some of the most skeptical of you will be pleased with what is being done.

While the goal of the revamp is to tone down complexity, the main reason we are doing it is because in general ability quantity has been used to brute force depth. While this is not wholly "wrong", it does make the game difficult to get into. I am pretty confident in saying that after this revamp, pox will have more depth with less complexity.

I am also pretty confident that its going to fun as hell for everyone to tear it up once we change everything around!

12. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

And that is everything I hope for.

13. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

Umbelivable how stupid you are, you offend every one reading your post to have a IQ of a 10 year old child, mean and then unmean your words, disagree and then agree with currient game problens.
    For now on, i will just ignore your posts, nothing good can came from reading it anyway.

14. Nemorga

Nemorga I need me some PIE!

Well, sounds like music to me! Can't wait to see it!!

15. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

I don't know Gedden, Hell doesn't sound all too fun, and I'd rather leave pox in 1 piece rather than tearing it up.

16. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Just don't get rid of the Mutate function, I'm having a lot of fun with The Doctor and my Ruthless Netmasters.

rickyjpen likes this.
  17. Nemorga

Nemorga I need me some PIE!

Literal people are fun (literally) ;)

18. rickyjpen

rickyjpen Devotee of the Blood Owl

If Elven Prodigy had elusive replaced by absorb he/she would be shoeboxed instantly... And I would be pissed because she is my favorite champion in poxnora period.

19. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

Elven prodigy was never supose to me immune to ranged attacks, but at 65 nora right now, yes she can have elusive.

20. PharumM

PharumM Member

Any ETA? on the revamp ?
    hours ?
    days?
    months?
    years ?:D

and elven pridigy is so sick i wish aspect of infinity was that epic(its very cool in its own way)