Yet More Salaman Concepts

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Ohmin, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Since there's been a lot of discussion about Salaman in the FS forums, I got some new ideas.

Salaman Landscaper

~66 Nora including default upgrades (as will all subsequent estimates)

Race: Salaman
    Class: Tinker

DMG: 10
    SPD: 6
    RNG: 1
    DEF: 1
    HP: 44

Attack: Physical
    Amphibious
    Immunity: Fire
    Deploy Pond of Lillies (0AP, 4CD, 15 Nora)

Upgrade1:
    Relocate: Relic (Default)
    Mason 1
    Mason 2

Upgrade2:
    Reclaim
    Relic Guardian (Default)

Art?: A Salaman in civilian clothing, looking at blueprints while surveying an undeveloped plot of land.

Flavor: (Sorry, you're on your own for this one, couldn't think of anything interesting enough.)

Seljichan Governor

~76 Nora

Class: Rogue, Bard

3-4

Attack: Pistol
    Deflect

Upgrade1:
    Sermon
    Dictate (Default)
    Mastermind

Upgrade2:
    Stall
    Confuse (Default)
    Distract

Art?: A well-dressed, somewhat fat (but not terribly so) Salaman with a holstered pistol making a speech.

Flavor: "We must ensure our allies are well cared for in these dark times. To this end if I am re-elected, I will enact new policies within our foreign aid programs to ensure that no more than 50% of aid funds are used to pay for overhead and administrative expenses." - Seljichan Governor

Salaman Arbalister

~65 Nora

Class: Archer

3-5

Attack: Arrow
    Amphibious
    Ponderous

Upgrade1:
    Farshot 2
    Sunder 1
    Strike (Default)

Upgrade2:
    Retreat 1 (Default)
    Retreat 2
    Brutality

Art?: Salaman warrior holding a particularly large Crossbow. Nothing specific, it's a pretty generalized concept.

Flavor: "The arbalisters are dangerous enough on their own, but when together in formation they are downright deadly." -Katchi, Salaman Soldier

Salaman Shotgonner

~78 Nora

Class: Warrior

2-4

Attack: Gun
    Amphibious
    Physical Blast (10 Nora, as Magic Blast or Lightning Blast, but with Physical damage pf course)

Upgrade1:
    Logistics: Speed
    Barrage 1 (Default)
    Barrage 2

Upgrade2:
    Rend 1
    Rend 2 (Default)
    Rend 3

Notes and Comments: The Landscaper is mostly to shore up some relic-related holes in FS. Those holes may be intentional, but I feel like the Landscaper could bring new life to some old options. Relocate: Relic would give a lot of extra life to several relics. Especially Rejuvinating Fountain, Lotus Altar, Sacred Temple, Font of Restoration, and possibly Pool of Dreams. Likewise it could help keep Tortun Land Cannon useful if the battle moves away from it before it's used up, etc. Of course, it could be argued that all of these are reasons to keep Relocate: Relic out of FF FS, but I don't think any of these are really stronger in FF than in a Split. At the same time, lack of Immunity: Poison would make Relocating Foulestestest Mushrooms painful, though still possibly worth while.

Mason likewise can give additional benefit to Soulsphere, Font of Restoration, and possibly give a bit of extra life for Sacred Temple or Snaptooth Crypt, as they have a relatively high amount of HP.

Reclaim could be used to get rid of used up Tortun Land Cannons in a useful way, as well as ditch a flagging Soulsphere, Font, or ill-placed Flashbang/Land Mine that's proven to get in your way more than help. For the most part I'd probably expect Relic Guardian to be used but I can see the arguments for either, so I feel there's actually a reasonable amount of choice between the two.

The Governor is an interesting thing. It's basically a support rune for Salaman as a racial theme, but also has several political themed abilities with Sermon, Dictate, Confuse, and I think Deflect also fits. If deemed too expensive, Immunity: Fire could be replaced with Resistance for a cheaper support rune overall.

Finally the Arbalister is another generic ranged unit. Mostly it's there to be a ranged Sunder applier. This however should work well alongside Dervish, Commando, and Jyx (provided they aren't changed drastically in the near future) since they have ways to attack multiple times and all that.

Outside of that I figured some crossbow user somewhere should have Ponderous. But that probably could also removed if the unit is deemed to be overly cheap.

Bo-Bo-Bonus round! Thought of the Shotgonner while thinking of whether or not it would be more "Salaman-ish" for the Arbalister to be changed to use a rifle. I remembered spread-fire Shotguns are totally a thing in video games, and if anything, it would make sense for mostly primative spread-shot fire-arms to be a Salaman thing. I actually like the concept quite a bit, including "Physical Blast" which I suppose could be renamed to "Shrapnel Blast" or something like that. Since I thought of it just at the end of my writing this (the other three were thought of beforehand) I haven't really given much thought to what the art might look like, or flavor text. I was kind of lazy with that on most of the others anyway. I was also more guestimate-y on nora cost, so I'm less certain of it.

Special thanks to Torchlight 2 for reminding me of an alternate spelling.

Thanks for your time. Any questions, suggestions, or comments are welcome.