You didn't watch the presidential debate last night

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Support as in you don't mind them doing it? Hell in that case I support them too. Or do you mean support in terms of billions of dollars of federal funding? It isn't Monopoly money darkjello and every dollar spent towards sticking a thermometer up the earths ass is a dollar not spent on other things that some would consider more urgent.

DarkJello likes this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

3. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

I oppose the green mobsters, as they have bilked we the peeps out of many billions. Legit scientific research can get results for a lot less cash, but patience is key. There are many young adults right now that honestly believe climate changes will literally cut 40 years off their lives. Ridiculous lies are swallowed wholesale. Pay filthy rich governments buckets of billions more NOW, or you will ALL die!!!

http://s89.photobucket.com/user/floyd_droid/media/Screenshot2012-10-20at24121PM.png.html

Ragic likes this.
  4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Trump in 2012: Electoral College is a disaster for democracy.

Trump, Sunday after the Election in 2016: “I’m not going to change my mind just because I won, but I would rather see it where you went with simple votes. You know, you get 100 million votes and somebody else gets 90 million votes and you win.”

Trump, Tuesday after the Election in 2016: "The Electoral College is actually genius in that it brings all states, including the smaller ones, into play. Campaigning is much different!"

Ladies and gentlemen, Donald "Tells it Like It Is" Trump!

(I'll give you 3 guesses as to what he really thinks about the EC.)

BurnPyro likes this.
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

what is your opinion on smoking? harmless right? damn anti-smoking doctor mobsters fighting honest and fair tobacco companies?

are you being paid by oil and coal DJ?

BurnPyro likes this.
  6. Sokolov

I oppose the planet destroyers, as they have bilked we the peeps out of many billions (in monetary and in environmental damage). Legit scientific research can get results, but action is key. There are many people right now that honestly believe climate change is a hoax created by the chinese. Ridiculous lies are swallowed wholesale. CONTINUE to subsidy filthy rich corporations with buckets of taxpayer money, or NO JOBS!!!

NevrGonaGivUup and BurnPyro like this.
  7. Sokolov

That "Louder with Chowder" website is hilarious. It's functionally 5 myths that anti-climate change people use that largely rely on people not looking into the issue more and just only thinking about it on the surface level or taking the statements at face value.

MYTH: The world is getting hotter at a significant rate.
    TRUTH: The world has gotten 1.7 degrees hotter since 1880.

The source HE LINKS TO is a New York times article that says...

"1.7 degrees is actually a significant amount."

The whole section reads:

"As of October 2015, the Earth had warmed by about 1.7 degrees Fahrenheit since 1880, when records begin at a global scale. That figure includes the surface of the ocean. The warming is greater over land, and greater still in the Arctic and parts of Antarctica.

The number may sound low, but as an average over the surface of an entire planet, it is actually high, which explains why much of the world’s land ice is starting to melt and the oceans are rising at an accelerating pace. The heat accumulating in the Earth because of human emissions is roughly equal to the heat that would be released by 400,000 Hiroshima atomic bombs exploding across the planet every day.

Scientists believe most and probably all of the warming since 1950 was caused by the human release of greenhouse gases. If emissions continue unchecked, they say the global warming could ultimately exceed 8 degrees Fahrenheit, which would transform the planet and undermine its capacity to support a large human population."

So the myth is debunked by the "truth" that how much hotter it has gotten is... significant? And he cites a source that claims the OPPOSITE of his claim? What kind of amateur hour is this?

~

MYTH: The Ice Sheets are MELTING AWAY!
    TRUTH: Antarctic Ice Sheet is growing by billions of tons. Also FAIL: Scientist That Predicted Ice Caps Would Melt in 2013… Now Claims 2016?

Another common "myth" tactic.

Here's the NASA article on this issue:
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...ns-of-antarctic-ice-sheet-greater-than-losses

So it is technically true that the report does say the Ice Sheet is increasing in terms of NET CHANGE. However, the claim here lacks context.

The thing is (and you will see them explain this in the NASA article) WHY the Sheets are growing isn't because they aren't melting away. They ARE melting away, the difference is that the snow on top of ice sheet is compacting into ice and is making up the difference... for now.

The key is the for now. To use an analogy, this is like losing your job and keeping your lifestyle the same, and saying "I have money, it's called savings." In this case, money is ice sheet and savings is snow. That savings isn't infinite. It is turning into ice sheet for now to make up for the losses... but the snow itself is not accumulating.

"Zwally’s team calculated that the mass gain from the thickening of East Antarctica remained steady from 1992 to 2008 at 200 billion tons per year, while the ice losses from the coastal regions of West Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula increased by 65 billion tons per year."

Here we see that the gain has remained steady during the study period, but the rate of loss has increased. What happens when the accumulated snowfall runs out?

~

The people behind this study also says this:

"If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they’ve been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years -- I don’t think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses.”

"“The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away,” Zwally said. “But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for.”"

(And again, note the attempt to use the fact that scientists are willing to change their minds and use new data in their analysis as a sign of "failure" instead it simply being a part of the scientific process.)

~

I will just do those 2. If you really care about knowledge and enlightenment, you will look more into the rest yourself. But basically, this website amounts to sensationalist anti-climate change propaganda couched in the veneer, but not the veracity of scientific rigor (or even simply bothering to read the sources and understand what they are ACTUALLY saying).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    BurnPyro and Geressen like this.
  8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

sokolov, Dj is going to find those truths... inconvenient.

NevrGonaGivUup and BurnPyro like this.
  9. Sokolov

Additionally:
    http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard...l-sea-ice-diminishing-despite-antarctic-gains

NASA Study Shows Global Sea Ice Diminishing, Despite Antarctic Gains
    Sea ice increases in Antarctica do not make up for the accelerated Arctic sea ice loss of the last decades, a new NASA study finds. As a whole, the planet has been shedding sea ice at an average annual rate of 13,500 square miles (35,000 square kilometers) since 1979, the equivalent of losing an area of sea ice larger than the state of Maryland every year.

Ultimately, the key is to understand that climate change of some kind IS happening and support efforts to understand exactly how it'll impact us in the future.

Maybe it isn't what most think it is now, but we won't know if we just close our eyes and go "BLAH BLAH CONSPIRACY BLAH BLAH."

Geressen likes this.
  10. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I think that video is a good beginning explaining why Hillary lost, but this guy is only brushing the surface. If anyone is interested I recommend this 29:44 of verbal smackdown on Hillary. First ten minutes contains all the basics. Listening to the rest is extra credit.

DarkJello likes this.
  11. Sokolov

How do you feel about all those big oil/wall street types + career politicians that are likely to make up the majority of Trump's WH?

12. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

Links to their work on the subject please.

There's nothing funny about climate change, it's literally one of the things that has the power to keep me up at night. To dismiss the work of entire fields of scientists for the sake of personal comfort is, while understandable on a personal sanity scale, irresponsible in the extreme at a global scale.

NevrGonaGivUup and Geressen like this.
  13. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I think Trump is inexperienced politically but he will do his best to pick a cabinet that will make the changes to build up America again. If not not much I can do, but at least its not Hillary. Hillary wanted more war with Syria, approved of the destruction of Gaddafi in Libya, and has no problem going to war with Russia. Trump's cabinet is not going to war as far as I know, and this sounds good to me. He is anti war with Syria and Russia. America needs to fix its roads not waste resources policing the entire world.

DarkJello, SPiEkY and Geressen like this.
  14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Profhulk seems to make more sense to me than usual.

15. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Ever tried living without money? Ever tried living on money others have seen fit to give you vs money you've been able to earn for yourself?

You might think the welfare state is a humane safety net but in reality its a system that robs people of dignity and breeds the kind of resentment that leads to group politics.

"its the economy stupid," not global warming. and no there isn't room for both.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    DarkJello likes this.
  16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Stopped reading at the first point. His premise was that the DNC was not rigged. Then for evidence he simply offered an unsubstantiated opinion. The actual evidence actually shows efforts within the DNC to marginalize Bern and forward HRC.

DarkJello, SPiEkY and BurnPyro like this.
  17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

18. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Even if we suppose that man made global warming is a huge hoax (though im not sure who it would benefit),

Seems like at some point the world will have to rely on renewables (and nuclear) anyway.

Even in purely selfish terms, wouldn't it be better for the US companies to be the established leaders in the field?

Geressen likes this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

don't you get it, the scientists are only getting these results on research they where already paid to do in order to get paid to do the research they already did.

it is part of our vile plan to get cleaner air.

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Did you just

"I know people with degrees who disagree so your argument is invalid"?

Seriously, im done

What education did you enjoy? What degree do you have? What second rate community college did you go to? Most of the world is spending money to on renewable energy and more just for the Firk of it, obviously.

Holy Bane Shift you're actually ********. You're so Firking ********. I just can't anymore. I always just thought that ya'll were raised differently and different culture yada yada. But you're just anti intellectual. You just legit don't care as long as it fits your world views.

So damn petty. This arrogance man, I swear, this almost exclusively an American thing. "only I can know the real world", "can't trust the govt or scientist, except my friends with degrees who do some job nobody gives two ****s about".

How Firking dense and deluded are you?

Like, I respect baskitkase. We have different views, but he's sane. Like he understands Bane Shift and is willing to explain it. You're at best some average intelligence nutjob who looks up links from other nutjobs who delude themselves into thinking that they know "the matrix" and that they alone know life as it is. Everyone else is a victim of society and the government.

You can't even explain the Firking Bane Shift you're linking. You're just linking Bane Shift that confirms your world views without knowing what the Firk you are talking about. You legit linked Bane Shift that contradicts the scientific community, at least have the Firking intelligence to be able to explain the basics of why you disagree. And don't give me that Bane Shift of "I do research X hours a day", Firking Alex Jonas and that cult leader Molnwhatever. Absolutely Firking hilarious.

I can't take this anymore. Trying to deal with this requires me to lower my intelligence to try and comprehend how someone can be so utterly removed from reality.

Firk me this is how bobjob must feel all the time. Thank Firking god I don't live in a country where the countryside nutjobs have united to convince themselves that they know better than the scientific community of the world.

Thank

Firking

God

NevrGonaGivUup likes this.