You didn't watch the presidential debate last night

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

2. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I think politics shouldn't be black and white and I consider it a positive thing to be a centrist. Your point of view in politics is based on whether you care more about personal freedoms or equality for everyone. Finding a healthy balance between being selfish and selfless. Sure at different points in my life I have gone from extremely liberal to extremely conservative and now I have arrived in the center for now. My decision to care more about the environment was a tipping point for me and put me at the center many years ago. Becoming a vegetarian might have influenced that as well. Who's to say I am done growing politically. I may well become an ardent communist in the future if that ideology were to reform some of it's ridiculous principles and become a truly selfless form of government. Sad to face reality communism will always end up granting power to a precious few who decide the fate of the many who have the illusion of unity and freedom.

Geressen likes this.
  3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I just choose to imagine Lushiris as s stoic man-person who dislikes all candidates equally. doesn't mean I think he doesn't care.

I agree, of course politics shouldn't be black and white, and it isn't really a question about wether you care more or less but what you care about and how you think issues should be resolved. I am however a bit baffled that you do not see that this:

applies also to free unrestrained capitalism.

the main thing I really believe is a problem is how you guys place the economy over the enviroment. placing short term over long term is usually not the wisest decision. and I wish you would reconsider.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  4. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Geressen likes this.
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

so we got me:
    [​IMG]
    Boozha:
    [​IMG]

Newsbuff ( and spieky somewhere close to him?):
    [​IMG]

and Lushiris and Profhulk as centrists.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Gary Johnson is the guy you vote for if you don't want hillary or trump purely for not wanting those two.

He's incredibly incapable when it comes down to it. There's no legit options left in the US

Geressen likes this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

8. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I think the big thing that I did different from a lot of y'all is that I weighted social issues as less important to me, and economic issues as more important, which, by itself, probably shoved me pretty far into the "Republican" category.

Geressen likes this.
  9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Ah but see;

the economy will be stabilized by a married gay transgender child of a Syrian refugee and a mexican immigrant who benefited from less restrictions on assistance and medical aid paid for by the state through raised taxed on corporations and the rich, a person who would have never been able to make it that far without slashing the cost of higher education!

not by whatever strange convoluted plan you made up.

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Ugh, that white male privilege

No seriously though, that's probably why boozer has 96% on ma'am green party

11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

FIFY :D

In all seriousness tho, I think that statement really does apply to both sides of the spectrum.

profhulk likes this.
  12. Sokolov

I personally REALLY question both Trump and Republicans in general in regards to the economy.

I feel that the US has been largely running the "Reagan" model for the last few decades and got nowhere with the economy and yet for some reason half the population continues to feel like this is the way to go.

Trump's tax plan is largely just re-hashed Republican ideas or things that are already in place or have been tried before. Republicans always GREATLY overestimate the economic impacts of their tax plans (IT WILL CREATE 25 MILLION JOBS!!!!!) and no one ever holds them accountable to these failed promises.

His comments on trade make no sense to me (or most economists, though there is evidence of late that some negatives of trade has a longer tail than previously thought), though I understand that many conservatives have protectionist tendencies in general and dislike "globalism" in general - which is certainly a reasonable position.

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

In my mind creating jobs only happens one way. Smaller companies replace a larger one, and the money that would have gone to the executives instead goes to multiple lower paid people. Everything else is shifting jobs from one place to another.

14. Boozha

My stance on abortions and some geopolitical things, more likely

15. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

Because Gerb insisted

No real surprises. Also, I did see your response ProfHulk, just a bit too weary to address it now. Will answer some point tomorrow/thursday.

Geressen likes this.
  16. Boozha

I also believe that people should be able to refuse services that violate their religious beliefs, that the government shouldn't fund PP, that withdrawing from NATO would be wrong, that immigrants should learn English (with free courses), and that candidates should not be forced to make their tax returns public.

Those are pretty much my disagreements. I agree with her on the rest.

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Actually a bit suprised by how you are moderate left and more authoritarian than anyone we've seen placed on the political spectrum so far.
    [​IMG]

18. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

The problem is, most of the questions were economic or immigration policy based, and I think I weighted them a little more heavily than I perhaps should have. Very few science/health care policy questions, which personally I think are the biggest issues. Also, it's too easy to just go 'most' or 'somewhat' and ignore the other bits of the sliders. I feel like just different wordings on the 'yes/no' would do the trick of providing a scale.

Edit - Was curious, and a map of the US shows maybe three places that hold similar views, so I'm willing to bet my views are still more left leaning than most regions of the states

Geressen likes this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

But I thought the question was if people should be able to refuse service to people they feel violate their religious beliefs.

as in: A person should be able to refuse free bacon on free bacon day because of religious beliefs
    A person should not be able to deny another medical help or roadside assistance based on their religious beliefs. because they suspect the person had eaten free bacon.

Did I misunderstand the question?

20. Sokolov

The more specific example is:

"If I believe abortion is wrong, I don't have to perform one - even if it would medically save the patient."