"You use too many spells :)"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcus Aseth, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Marcus Aseth

Marcus Aseth The King of Potatoes

That what Sage90 told me the other day as a friendly suggestion to help me improve, and I appreciate it, though... what is wrong with using spells?!

I feel like in Pox Nora Champions matter WAY MORE than spells, to me seems like skilled player keep casting champions every turn and that's what wins the game, if I "dare" to cast a spell then I'm automatically short of quite some nora and behind of 1 champion, that is an automatic GG and I should surrender at that point, because is way too hard to get back into the game.

I am not advocating that spells are not useful, just that spells don't matter as much as champions, so basically spell cost should be reduced to balance things up and open up more variety in strategy allowing people to cast a spell without having to worry too much, or maybe don't change the cost but strenghten them a bit, I know I'm noob but if someone tells me "You use too many spells" because I used 2-3, then something is not right.

Consider this: in Magic:The Gathering if you play black you can destroy a creature with a spell, if you play red you can shoot enough dmg to kill a creature with a spell, if you play blue you can neutralize a creature with a a spell effectively killing it...
    In pox nora, you waste a sh*tload of nora to scratch a creature which heals back or get healed the next turn, and now is gg and you can surrender because you have 1 less champion and behind with nora.

Let me know your opinions on the matter

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  2. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

You're wrong

3. Marcus Aseth

I've edited my first post,read again pls. Also try to explain why.

Didn't I've read the title of a topic where you requested to be made mod?

If so, try to give meaningful replies and do constructive discussion, is a first step. ;)
    With just "you're wrong" you're not going to go very far... :|

4. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Its baller. Hr doesn't do meaningful replies.

But about topic: yes, casting spells for no reason puts you pretty far behind. Its generally a good idea to avoid them unless you're going to kill something. And remember that a 1hp champ will do as much DMG to you as a full HP champ.

That said, no they shouldn't be decreased in cost. If you get a kill using a 50n spell, that is definitely worth. You're up on Nora and get a huge tempo swing/should get some map control. This map control can lead into more fonts which will net your Nora back.

Pox is a slow game. Spells are quick. You have to pay a lot for this speed.

Etherielin, SPiEkY and Gnomes like this.
  5. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

@kalasle I think its your work here^^

my opinion of bad player: it depends on the spell.

In general, try using spells when you have some board presence , like 4+ champs.
    For a generic damage spell, try to use it not to damage but only to get kills you wouldnt get with champs.
    For boost spells, same as up. use them when they give you an immediate bonus for the kill
    for trick spells (hidden shields-like) use them when not having that champ die would really get you in a better position.
    consider how many nora you spend to get rid of how many nora of the opponent. Drown to get rid of a 60nora unit is bad, norawise. Can be good if its in a side battle and gives you control of a font he cannot contest for a while. Reason in terms of nora and position advantage. Not easy, but i think thats how the good players do^^

6. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Using spells is sacrificing resources without any kind of board presence as compensation. Unless you already have sufficient units out that can handle what your opponent has out using spells is going to put you at a disadvantage. In most cases unless the spells will really accomplish something meaningful it's best to continue deploying.

7. Marcus Aseth

Glad we all agree here.

So Tweek516 defense for spell cost is "If you get a kill using a 50n spell, that is definitely worth."
    Well, to that I respond it is worth as long as champion drop nora globes. If they didn't then maybe the gain would be slightly inferior and spells could be made more affordable and on level with champions.
    Pox Nora feels too Champion-centered (because it is...).
    I know it is how it is, but I'm suggestion a change here... xD

8. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

If you like playing spell (i do too), try playing some adaptive bgs^^ then you get a reward for playing spells and you get also chance to play a little more tricky spells.

9. Tweek516

Yeah that was a mistake. Its not always worth. Most of the time though.

Pox is so variable hard to describe things without coming up with specific examples.

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. Ballballer

No you dont do meaningful replies

11. Marcus Aseth

Maru though you keep suggesting workarounds to it (in both your replies) xD
    I was more interesting in hearing some ways to change the game as to make it in a way that playing spells (no matter when) would be worth as much as (or almost) playing a champion.

Well, for a more concrete example: I only play K'th'qwkiof'''jhrqwo'ir FOREST (so when I say "spells" I mean only green spells, I don't know of you guys factions spells :p ), the greatest damage my spell do is like a scratch... something like 15 dmg I think, is the best they could do.
    Why not buff at least that, like double it?!
    Take Brambles for example, 8 dmg which usually after DEF only do 6 dmg, and only 2 turns of ensnared, 35 Nora. Why not buff it to 12dmg OR ensnare 4 turns?
    After all if I play it I'm probably skipping on deployng a champ, so...should do more from my point of view.

12. 4NIK8

4NIK8 I need me some PIE!

Think about it this way, everything you do in a match needs to have a impact in the game (note that this doesn't mean going aggressive, backing out, stalling the match so you can get back on your feet is also a move that has an impact in the game). This applies to everything, champs, relics, spells and equips and ofc positioning. It's not a matter of how good the spell or the champ is, since in different scenarios the same spell could be casted and in one it would put you ahead and the other it could put you behind, it all depends on the situation and what is the best move in that case.

For instance, casting a Fire Blast vs a Mika and a Whirling Quarry with full hp means the dmg will be reduced by 5 due to weaken spells and then Mika could use Heal Mass 2 to heal another 6hp so your total dmg would be 4 (including the DoT), so you basically just wasted 45 nora. In another scenario you could cast Fire Blast to kill the the only two enemy champs in a font cuz they had low hp, taking the font and their nora globes.

13. Tweek516

I understand youre very new, but that would be insanely op. The whole point is that you get much more value for champions over spells etc. They take a lot longer to get into the fight and are much more predictable - so need to cost a hell of a lot less.

Grimlics bane is already really freaking strong, brambles is good aoe (and goes through defense - all spells do). They are worth their Nora costs if used at the right time. Stress the if. There should have to be a consideration, as opposed to just casting spells left right and centre.

SPiEkY likes this.
  14. Marcus Aseth

On a side note, who here agrees on that Pull shoud allow you to pull champions into chasms?
    Same with Wandering effect. Why I can possess a hero and make him suicide or knockback him into a chasm but I can't pull it into it? Feels inconsistent... :\

15. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

No and no.

Also regarding the OP spell costs are fine.

16. Marcus Aseth

why?

17. Tweek516

1) the possession thing is being changed

2) pull is already one of the strongest abilities in the game and this would just break it

3) you can't knockbavk someone into a chasm

SPiEkY likes this.
  18. Marcus Aseth

Isn't this game about positioning?!
    If you get pulled into a chasm, then you where poorly positioned in the first place.
    I don't see why limit the possibilities...

19. 4NIK8

4NIK8 I need me some PIE!

The answer is right there, learn how to use them because your clearly using the wrong spells at the wrong time. When he tells you need to improve it doesn't mean we need to change the whole game so you keep doing what your doing.

20. Ballballer

Yeah i totally support pull being able to cliff champs

Giggle

Kampel likes this.