Young Turks reveal the truth about USA Police Violence and it's roots.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Dec 15, 2015.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Better gun that guy who has a knife down in the street with a gang of cops, like hunters shooting an animal, because "we can't take that chance". (note that they'd already shot him once, a few moments earlier, before they feel like emptying their clips into the fella.

USA police showing us once more how incompetent they are at doing actual policework.

Shoot to kill, not shoot to stop the suspect. Brilliant training. Brilliant legislation.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

And some more, a similar case. Guy armed with a knife vs a gang of cops, 0-2 now.

Clips emptied in both videos, because why not. Obviously both of these men couldn't be stopped in any other way than pumping them full of lead.

Honestly, as an aspiring cop, I find this is beyond disgusting. Serve and protect.

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

More broadway performance by USA's finest.

Note that the police claimed he had a gun, can't be sure (it's not on the video). But again, emptying their clips while the guy crawling on the ground. This is more controversial, if he did have a gun obviously their lives are in danger (contrary to the knife situations above). And I accept that it's a more stressed situation than above. But again, did you need to empty your clips in the guy? I mean honestly, why don't we give cops semi-automatic rifles and hollow points if we just want them to kill the people they're shooting? Higher quality and quantity of bullets, less chance that the suspects get away with it, right?

Just *mindblowing*

As a european, just mindblowing.

Just as a reference to what non-gun nuts do

http://www.thewire.com/global/2012/05/german-police-used-only-85-bullets-against-people-2011/52162/

ccording to Germany's Der Spiegel, German police shot only 85 bullets in all of 2011, a stark reminder that not every country is as gun-crazy as the U.S. of A. As Boing Boing translates, most of those shots weren't even aimed anyone: "49 warning shots, 36 shots on suspects. 15 persons were injured, 6 were killed."

These three shootings alone, probably come close to that amount of shots fired in total. On 3 people.

Justice. Serve and protect, but shoot to kill. Genius.

4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Vid appears to show him ~10ft away. Unfortunately the second he started moving from the 'safe' position they cornered him in; their training was to drop him ASAP.

Not defending any actions shown in the video, but I am saying that there's more to the knife then a lot of people realize.

DarkJello likes this.
  5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

This guy casually strolls up to a vehicle on its side, shoots a guy who is using both arms to hoist himself out, then continues to mosey up to the car to peek inside.

Said police claims it was an accident and will not face criminal charges.

Personally, it looked like an execution to me.

Police have a right to defend themselves if they are in danger, but a lot of these cases seem like they could have been handled differently.

Anima26, DarkJello and BurnPyro like this.
  6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

You mean the difference between 1 on 1 with a seemingly unarmed man vs 1 on many where the guy has an apparent knife.

Totally different situations, in one you're reacting from impulse and ignorance in the heat of the moment. In the other you're making a calculated decision to wipe a man out. Also note that in one video the guy was seemingly drunk, in the other the guy with the knife had already been shot once. Both clearly not as vital as the person in the video.

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Stone cold, casual indeed.

Mindblowing. This footage in Europe classifies as murder, which will land you a 20+ years in a 6 by 4. You don't accidently draw your arm, discharge a couple of times and then put it away to check stuff out. Trigger happy lunatics.

Anima26 likes this.
  8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Now, that guy was the driver and was drunk driving so some might not have sympathy (and probably killed his wife), but it's not the officer's job to mete out justice as he sees fit.

The problem is that as long as the police get virtual immunity in these situations, they have little incentive to change their behavior.

Anima26, DarkJello and IMAGIRL like this.
  9. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

All true, and relative points. However I think your forgetting one thing. The man in question still had a weapon. Simply dropping it could've resulted in a vastly different outcome. Again, I say that I don't condone anything that was done in the video. Infact, most departments have a mandatory requirement for ranged tasers now. The first shot should've been prods, not lead. The situation was mishandled from the start. However, shooting him as they did was the inevitable result. They already showed a willingness to fire their weapons, and the suspect in question still thought it a bright idea to turn an walk towards an officer with a knife still in hand.

The only conclusion that I can bring from the video is that the officer who fired the first shot should be investigated for other aggressive and hazardous actions. He made a choice that escalated the situation in the other officers minds. Speculation: When the suspect started moving another officer fired (possibly the same guy), and that triggered a response in the other officers who proceeded to empty their mags in the heightens situation.

Yes it could've been handled differently, but it was one officer who escalated the situation with potentially lethal force. Not all of them.

DarkJello likes this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I don't know what world you live in, but no officer here empties his mag after another officer shoots a guy.

I'm not a doctor here, but I'm pretty sure you don't need a couple of mags to stop an already weakened guy with a knife. One guy shooting him to kill should do the trick. Did any of them even attempt to shoot the guy in the arms/leg/shoulder/wherever he doesn't die instantly?

One cop shooting to kill is already too much. That somehow triggering other officers to empty their magazines into a guy who's already been shot baffles me. It underlines a serious psychological problem. In no way did those guys make any attempt to go at the cop who shot them in the first place, so it wasn't a defensive reaction. They all crumbled under the first shots, let alone the public execution.

Disgusting.

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

It's almost like EU > NA.

I don't see how "more officers needed so we lower standards" is a legitimate argument when you have a larger pool of people to select from. I had to undergo several tests, two of which extensively test my psyche, 6 tests in total. And there's still way more people applying than there are being appointed.

I don't believe that the high number of police officers needed somehow justifies the thought that you are potentially giving poorly qualified people arms and the right to fire them in dubious circumstances.

Not to take anything away from police officers, but please tell me how Europe does all these things to train their officers and teaches them different things and gets better results but somehow the USA can't.

If I had to take a guess at it, something something second amendment we gotta treat everyone like they're carrying one or more loaded weapons so we better shoot them just in case. With a few people. And a lot of bullets.

Just in case

12. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

DarkJello likes this.
  13. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

I remember posting thread where I linked a video depicting a similar nature of police force, with follow up, some couple years ago. I also remember burnpyro saying something along the lines of "one video doesn't prove anything, you make silly posts PT".

Hypocrisy is a boil. However police brutality is a cancer and needs more immediate attention/treatment

DarkJello likes this.
  14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

here are some situations that wouls have ended in deaths in the US

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

no u

And I think my response was directed more towards the way you presented it than the actual topic at hand iirc. That or I was being a **** in off topic. Both seem equally plausible.

DarkJello likes this.
  16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

apparently shooting people in the leg doesn't work in the US because they just hover or something.

here the police shot a confused ( read: crazy) man in the leg because he was threatening people and then they called an ambulance because we are all walking plebs who need legs to move around.

17. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

US gun culture is stupid. US police engagement rules are stupid. US police hiring is stupid. US police culture is stupid.

Honestly, I kind of hate the US. It's hypocrisy in a nutshell.

18. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Comparing Europe to America on this topic is a classic apples to oranges scenario. We have a lot more shootings here, so our cops operate in a very different environment. Biology tells us that "adapt or die" is mandatory. On the other hand, it is clear that police brutality is a very serious problem. A solution needs to be found sooner than later. Laws just don't seem to be enough to force people to be good. I believe that strengthening the family is the best path forward. A few strong generations will knock this issue down to size. In the meantime, we must confront why a few subcultures within America are driving violent crime thru the roof. Right now it is "racist" to evaluate subcultures within Murica.

Finally, the "Godfather" is embroiled in a MASSIVE police homicide case in Chicago and it is getting little national attention. Imagine if he was a top ally of Cruz or Rubio or Trump... But he is tied to the "good" politicians, so the kiddie gloves are used.

Police brutality is a disgusting and serious problem in the US. I am glad BP raised this issue.

Makorov likes this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

american exceptionalism? rly?

since this applies to species and americans and europeans are still both humans and you JUST mentioned apples and oranges and social darwinism is a sham and social constructs do not follow the rules of selection of the fittest in the evolutionary sense I'm just gonna say wtf darkjello shut up.

20. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

He's not wrong
    While I don't agree with DJ much of the time, and his approach to that particular statement could have been better,
    He's not wrong

DarkJello and Geressen like this.