Young Turks reveal the truth about USA Police Violence and it's roots.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Dec 15, 2015.

1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Weird. America is a mixing pot. People of every stripe and creed are thriving. Millions are trying to move here right now. Asians do better than whites here, on average. Gays make more than Heteros, on average. The POTUS is black. Women are excelling from sea to shining sea. In spite of all this, the bigotry/racism against white males continues to climb. Curious times indeed.

Tell us about the diversity in your tiny and insulated country BP.

2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

screw you iPox boozha and Darklord are agreeing!

3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Not much of a frenzy if it's permanent and reasonable, is it. Besides, I don't hate North America, I don't even hate most things about the US.

4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    http://www.futureboston.com/about/o...gation-map-where-does-boston-fit#.VnMPeBXhDIU

go to africa and ask them, to them POTUS is white.

oh dear you are one of those seesaw racists, there is less racism against non whites so there is more against whites.
    it doesn't work that way.

also when you complain about people hanging an effigy of trump vs obama how come one is racist it's because of this DJ:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

that is why one is racist.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Diversity in the US largely depends on where you live and what groups you are talking:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BurnPyro, Geressen and DarkJello like this.
  6. DarkJello

Gobsmacked! That is not the vibe u frequently give off.

7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

"you disagree so you must hate america" says the guy giving of cultist superiority complex broken record vibes.

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

uhm.

a majority of white people. men/women almost equal, still favoring men though. Less of a mixing pot. There are established Turkish and Moroccan communities in the bigger cities for example. Obviously lately refugees coming in.

I wouldn't say racism isn't an issue. But it translates less so in personal abuse, more in the job hiring process/selling houses/etc. Especially among the older citizens, there's can still be an awkward to hostile feeling towards immigrants (mostly of color). Probably an "back in my days" kind of thing, since we see it in other countries as well. Uhm. The majority is Christian, Catholic. There's definitely an uneasy feeling towards Islam, controversy towards the the traditional clothing (hijab)(that hides the face) in public places for safety reasons (or so we are to believe). There's an established Jewish community in Antwerp which is among the top, if not the top, in the worlds diamond sector. Muslims just take more flack because of the supposed link to extremists (as they do in other countries). There's obviously a base of extreme right in Belgium, as I imagine you have in every country, but their political influence is quite poor. They're also quite small and while that base exists, it doesn't get much attention nor do I find that it does much. Uhm.

This is awkward to write since I'm just summing up random stuff that might be related. But yeah. TLDR racism exists. White male is still the one to be. White women aren't far behind. But racism is very minor to what I see in other countries, it's a topic that has been discussed and continues to be discussed in the public domain. Belgium isn't opposed to giving itself Bane Shift, if anything, we're not very chauvinistic.

That's about that, I'd say. There's much less police brutality, so it's hard to say if cops are focusing on people of color or not.

iPox and DarkJello like this.
  9. DarkJello

That is exactly how I see the matter too. Racism is a factor as well. But what u stated above is at the core of police abuses, including excessive force. The article I linked a few pages back concluded that police are NOT trained correctly in the US of A. And then some of the special protections they get are just plain wrong.

I don't want the po po going Rambo on myself, my family, my friends, my neighbors, or anyone in my community. We all lose when 1 of more cops go bad. Criminals with shiny badges are still criminals. Not only have some innocents been murdered by cops, but the taxpayer then has to pay millions and millions in compensation. It is a lose-lose-lose scenario. Very sad.

10. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Ok, I am not in any way a supporter of the possession of guns by civilians in today's society, and I've made that clear. But reading your post... Putting quotations around the word freedom suggests that, in your eyes, the ability to own a gun is not a freedom. I have to intervene

To me it seems you lack a basic understanding of what a freedom is. You suggest that the right to own guns is not a freedom, but it is. The right to own anything is inherently a freedom. The right to DO anything is a freedom.

The issue is that not all freedoms should be legal. I think you and I agree that public gun ownership is an issue, but that does not mean it isn't a freedom. You say that the fact that guns are legal means that we lack freedom, I say that the fact that guns are legal means that we have freedom, but this particular one should be (in some way) unlawful.

DarkJello and darklord48 like this.
  11. Sokolov

The inability to move frees me from the obligation to act.

DarkJello and BurnPyro like this.
  12. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

The freedom to have guns precludes other kinds of freedom, is what I was getting at. Of course it is a freedom by itself, but it doesn't make you any more free.

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I had a reflex action and said "yo momma is a freedom, I did her last night" out loud and then giggled like a maniac and I am very ashamed.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Its the wild assumption all you liberals are making that a non core - body shot would stop anyone.

I was shot in the leg and took shrapnel to the hand (at the same general time) and didn't even notice it. I remember thinking I had bent back a fingernail. Once someone notified me of my wounds I realized it and it hurt but it still did not stop my functionality in the least, just the burning fire of pain reduced my focus.

And that was just adrenaline, think about drugs or psychosis which can completely take over a person.

Are there some idiot cops? Yep. You hear of a few hundred stories per year maybe? How many thousands of take downs happen each year that do not result in death?

Training might help and a bit of a change of perspective but this is not some new epicdemic. It's just a news media hit at the moment.

You can't just break threat down into bite size pieces like this. It's way quicker. You see death in someone's choices then you respond with death.

The ****weed shooting the drunk driver is different but that's such a tint percentage of the normal police responses.

And as DMR said, this thread is just a bucket full of wasted tears. None of you will ever do anything but talk. Guarranteed.

DarkJello likes this.
  15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

... do you wanna talk about it?

16. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Why not use ranged tazers in many of these situations? Tazing will incapacitate someone enough to put them in cuffs/other detainment, you can be sure of that.
    Source: I've been tazed

DarkJello likes this.
  17. DarkJello

Your attempt at humor was successful. :)

18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

No, I just wanted to laugh at you. But then he asked and I respected him enough to answer. Mkay?

DarkJello likes this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

sounds like you need to talk about it man, work out your issues. talking is not an action according to you so there's no effort lost.

20. Sokolov

I agree with you that people judge too quickly, and often with very little experience or information about the circumstances they criticize.

As Jeb Bush might say, "stuff happens." Which is why my concern mostly lies in what happens afterwards - and the responses there sometimes seem problematic (for example, drunk driver shooter not being charged with anything at all).

Do you have any information to back this up with? I wouldn't presume to know personally what the %s are, though I agree that it's unlikely to be a large percentage. And I do agree that the overall problem is exaggerated to some extent, in particular compared to other countries with smaller populations (though I admit I haven't looked up per capita numbers to compare).

I don't know about this. Information is vital to democracy. And while individually people may not be able to, or won't do anything, sharing information and talking about issues I feel is an important part of being in a society.

For example, maybe someone learned something from your anecdotal and will be better informed when judging some of these videos.

~

Slightly off topic:

On this in particular, for those who agree with this (and I do), do we feel this is also a valid argument for the immigrant or refugee screening process?

"Are there radicals missed? Yep. You hear of a few a year maybe? How many thousands of immigrants and refugees come into the country a year and are law abiding?"

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    DarkJello and PurpleTop like this.