Faction Bonuses - Scale Down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The idea here is to scale down Faction Bonuses, and allow the different flavors of each theme to become more of the focus when building a deck.

At the same time, this will address several balance issues and hopefully create more parity between the factions as it relates to their overall bonus.

Note: All of these are general proposals, and not in any way final

FS FF: 3 Nora on your turn
    FS Split: 1 Nora on your turn

ST FF: 5 HP
    ST Split: 2 HP

IS FF: 5 Damage Reduction from Spells
    IS Split: 2 Damage Reduction from Spells

KF FF: 2 Damage for champs with Max Range of 3+
    KF Split: 1 Damage for champs with Max Range of 4+
    ~
    KF: Mini Flanking - +1/2 Damage against enemy units engaged to other champions. (not just basic attacks)

UD FF: 4 Damage for champs with Max Range of 2 or less
    UD Split: 2 Damage for champs with Max Range of 1

SL FF: Similar to now
    SL Split: Similar to now

FW FF: Nora and CD reduction on death of real champ
    FW Split: Nora and CD reduction on death of real champ
    (FW themes, like Skeletons, would get something that works with Summons)

SP FF: X% Nora on deploy (min of 2)
    SP Split: Y% nora on deploy (min of 1) (where Y is less than X)

~

Discuss!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    jayscales1, Lushiris, Emries and 5 others like this.
  2. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

I like KF's iteration, wish it factored speed instead but then range will be kind of cool I suppose.
    Isn't IS's current bonus 4 for full faction?

3. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

the fw and kf changes seem nice. not sure if scaling down the bonuses would be better though. fw and kf could really use new bonuses though. it would take more work balancing them afterwards though.

4. IR0NHAMMER

IR0NHAMMER The King of Potatoes

IS is currently 6 for full faction I believe

5. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

I find this quite humorous.

If you're going to scale down bonuses, maybe a flat 2 damage block would be better. It would still be better than most other bonuses, but maybe not as much.

Maybe a flat 2 damage block on champions with range: 1?

6. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Could we just remove them fully? Why bother downgrading them when it sitll has the same result as now in the long run. If you want a faction to have a certain strength, just put that into their design. SL suppose to have harder to kill champions or take less damage in general? Boom: SL champs have a higher defense stat/more defensive abilities on average then other factions on their champions ( could even do this by race template, i.e. Draksars must have at least 3 def but it can scale up to 5 or whatever. This can work with negatives like dwarfs have 5 spd but can scale up to a max of 6 depending on design goals/cost/role etc). It works for every bonus, even FW could simply have more abilities/runes that allow them to recycle champ use and gasp! it also helsp shoeboxed runes that are redundant thanks to their bonus have some value.

Yes it would require going through and adjusting the stat/ability line up ( or applying faction related price reductions/increases for abilities/stats) but wouldn't be better in the long run? Anyway, just my ideal solution.

p.s. if you make racial templates any changes would simply be copy past down the line as race stats would be restricted to set ratios.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

That'd be garbage.

Idk, SL bonus is a large part of SL's "succes" or rather "not dead yet". But if somehow it could be made more noob friendly - even though I think it's fine, but people seem to dislike it - that'd be cool.

8. Sokolov

It doesn't work for most of the bonuses actually, at least not as they are currently designed. We could create a set that was just stats for every faction, but if that were the case... as you say, why have bonuses at all?

Additionally, giving stats outright means that we can't have split bonuses - which again, means that only stat bonuses will work unless we say that bonuses only ever apply to the runes of their faction; for example, IS spell defense would only work on IS champs... anyway, it's a rabbit hole of more and more sub-cases.

On a more basic level, my perspective on this is that it's a very different thing telling someone their units have a particular affinity to something, and just giving stats that imply as such.

9. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

My fear is that by making the faction bonuses less significant, you increase the likelyhood they'll be forgotten or ignored in-game and cause miscalculations and frustration. I guess this is mostly talking about IS and SL, but also effects nora bonuses - SP, FS, and the proposed FW.

There is also the flavour issue, with limited design space, it might be difficult to design every champ so that it somehow has faction flavour built in.

Not saying that it's necessarily a bad idea, but I worry that the bonuses would become 'background noise' rather than a defining part of the faction.

Joker, TheBulwark, Raikan and 2 others like this.
  10. nico

nico I need me some PIE!

if you are going to make that change for fw, remove boon of undead, why they will have reduction on nora on death AND pick up more nora than other champs?

11. theKraken

theKraken I need me some PIE!

Id Rather see them all removed, let the font bonuses add flavor. The runes themselves should reflect the faction.

12. Sokolov

This is actually the plan, but one can't go forward without the other.

Goyo likes this.
  13. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

SL so bad bonus can stay

D4rkSteel likes this.
  14. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

should remove the bonuses altogether. assign each race a small bonus. easier to keep the themes balanced with respect to each other that way and splits wont care.

faction wide bonuses made sense when pox was young, the number of runes was small and faction identity was high. with all of the variations of playstyle that themes bring to each faction, a faction wide bonus makes little sense, flavor wise or balance wise.

Woffleet and XFurionsX like this.
  15. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

I honestly don't like these ideas... I mean, a Forglar Swap split will get 1 extra nora? :cool:

Numbers are too lower in my opinion.

Sunutsu likes this.
  16. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

FW so bad,that it gets buffed when all bonuses are scaled down.

17. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

By losing Boon. Yeah.

18. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Everything being 4 nora cheaper aint so bad.

Nea, XFurionsX and yobanchi like this.
  19. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

I like the FW one, the IS bonus, isn't the same? they are just getting -1 reduction on spell damage.

20. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

Just a question, how will champion be alternate if these get through? OR will the just keep the same as they are right now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.