Derifos, Dune Walker

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by fattyy2k, May 4, 2015.

1. gamengamenut

gamengamenut I need me some PIE!

or give him Damage aura (1) and magic aura (1)

this of course lowers overall damage. but the direction sok is going passive damage is a nono plus it's more flavourful....i mean....it IS MAGIC SAND

IMAGIRL likes this.
  2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Heh, fun. I'm not adverse to this either. Seems a little fancy, but whatever.

3. gamengamenut

haha, it'll be fun and all, but tough(2) people be laughing haha

IMAGIRL likes this.
  4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

LOL, I read this again. All I can think of is him doing some jazz hand Bane Shift, with sparkly sand flying everywhere. MAGIC SAND!

gamengamenut and fattyy2k like this.
  5. gamengamenut

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

we could have a normal one, where he slams his staff and normal sand spins.

then a party hat version with the jazz hands for a limited reskin XD

6. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

I was following the mantel as an example as it give abilities while on sand. Thats easy to take off. The ignoring impeding terrain is to work with his other aoe ability

7. fattyy2k

BTW I really hate the idea of giving him a shimmering wings-like ability. I wanna give him a unique active but not sure what

8. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Added a stance change because I thought Mrparpals suggestion merited a theoretical look at least. Personally I don't have strong feelings for it either way. A nice active would be fun. I'm thinking debuff. Sand being able to debuff, and outlast your enemy is kind of their thing.

• Cursed Sands: Enemy Champions occupying Sand within (6?) spaces take 5 fire damage, and are Cursed 1, and Frightened for 3 turns. ap 2, CD 4 Cost ?

Alternatively
    • Cursed Sands: Enemy Champions occupying Sand within (6?) spaces become Poisoned 2, Scoured 2, Cursed 1, and Frightened for 2 turns. ap 4, CD 5 Cost ? (12-20 I'm thinking)

Under extremely conditions, hilarious. Under normal conditions, potent denial for one of your opponents turns, and very helpful defensive reductions for one rounding.

I'm personally a fan of option two. Extremely powerful. *Drools

List of Debuffs
    Sandblasted -3 dmg
    Frightened -3 dmg
    Cursed -1 dmg, -1spd, -1 def
    Poisoned -1 dmg, -1 def
    Scoured -1 def

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Tweek516 likes this.
  9. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

He can't keeps 11 damage. With 4-6 range, the 2def/48 hp interaction, including all the damage, and defense boosts he's going to cost in the 100's. An I'm telling you right now, 2 Def 48 hp on a ranged champ isn't going to fly. Especially not when defensive buffs are taken into account.

10. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

What about something like desert master but giving range?
    "For every 2 champions on sands this unit gains +1 max range to a max of +6." that way you kindof avoid the high cost of having long range on base

11. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

He'll still be costed for the range, but in this case he wont be getting what he's paying for until mid game. I like the idea, and don't all at the same time.

12. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Are we sure we want this champ for its ranged basic attacks? wouldnt it be cheaper if it had something like water vortex but with sand and other pseudo rangedattacks to cover that role?

13. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I think he is a shaman/ranger. Not something that Fatty just envisioned. At the same time the theme needs more range. As for psuedo range. Pretty sure Sok mentioned phasing out abilities that bypass defense, and lean more onto attacks. I'd assume that goes for things like Vortexes, and even Sandspray for that matter. While he is a ranger, propping arrow-shot on him seems wrong. Not to mention the utter lack of a ranger theme in SL to make use of. Leaning into Shaman seems the way to go.

To answer your question; I don't know, but from my PoV it seems the safest route.

In the end it may be best for us to not try to hard on a solid design, and just brainstorm. I'm sure Sok has seen the thread, and possibly even keeping an eye on it still. We'll probably end up influencing the end result by pointing out different ideas, and design that might be beneficial or detrimental.

Kampel likes this.
  14. fattyy2k

Well after many years I am back and I have updated this idea!

Alakhami likes this.
  15. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Welcome Back!

fattyy2k likes this.
  16. fattyy2k

Thanks! It looks like this time may be to stay now that I am over 30 and semi stable :p

17. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Seems it would be fitting if he had Deflect: Sand. Also, Desert Master and Commander DMG bonus seems superfluous, though both feel properly flavourful. Perhaps instead of Desert Commander giving DMG, it could provide something else? Dunno what though.
    Also, Gift: Mantle sounds OP.

18. fattyy2k

revisiting this after the rework (just for funsies) Gift mantle is definitely not ok.

Revisiting this idea after considering what the sand theme truly needs from a "leader". Thinking on the main sand themes we have the following:

• Hidden: Sand for a pseudo stealth
    • Domain/sandstriker for damage buffs
    • AoE attacks and debuffs
    • general tankiness
    I am thinking the role needs to be someone who through upgrades supports different playstyles while his unique base ability supports sand in general. I want him to still be a threat himself but also be an enabler of the theme.

a few questions to ask with this redesign of concept:
    1. Range or Melee? We can keep him 1-2 as a melee based champ or maybe increase his range to perhaps 3-5 or 4-5? I think this will heavily depend on what role the rest of his abilities land him in. And from here what sort of attack? I am thinking either physical, fire, or magic.
    2. Base ability nature: I want this to work no matter what style of sand you play (draksar, arthropods, general, beasts, etc) even if he doesnt get played there. The original idea was the Desert Legion ability being a passive AoE granting Domain: Sand or Desert Camoflage. Should this be a phalanx style buff? or perhaps an active buff ? Or should this instead be turned into a more aggressive ability. If a more aggressive ability, likely an active ability.
    3. Upgrade line 1: I am thinking this will be the line to define HIS sort of attacker role. Should he be given sand striker? Desert Master? Hidden Sand? or perhaps a DoT, distracking blows, a damage aura, or some other 'on-attack' affect? Sunder?
    4. Upgrade line 2: I think this should be his support effects, things that could go here are blind, sirrocco, command: X, etc. I do not think he sould have grant tunnel or trail as that is the perview of the dunewalker. What other option would work well?
    5. Vulnerability: the easiest way to balance and keep cost down is giving some kind of vulnerability. Originally I put magic, but for a shaman I don't know if that is thematically fitting.
    6. Stats: what Should his base stats be? thinking 1 DEF is appropriate, but speed I would like as 7 for a ranger hero. Damage.. not sure.. had 11 but thoughts? also 50 HP seems fine.. I think
    Anyone else have comments on these points?