Sup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheNidhogg, Sep 19, 2016.

1. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Just was watching some old game recordings I had on my hard drive, felt nostalgic and thinking about starting to play again. Heartened to see a lot of the old guard is still around.

Some thoughts:
    • Seems like PS4 launch is imminent
      • Will the controls be fluid enough to do a bunch of actions within the turn timers?
      • How will we manage it differently than the Steam launch to retain players?
      • Looks like playerbase is at a pretty low point - only 284 people are currently ranked?
    Accessibility, like always, is a major concern for this game. As I posted in the other thread, there's just so many runes that limiting the ranked pool seems like an attractive option to alleviate the problem. It will take some time for me ramp up and I'm a very experienced player who only really needs to learn the last 5 expansions & any important patches. Will be incredibly daunting for new players, and I would hesitate to release on another platform before these major concerns are addressed.

Segmenting ranked ladders could work on one split so I'd probably just disable 2v2 ranked for now and go with (à la MTG) Vintage & Standard ladders. Standard would have a core set of runes drawn from all time + the last X Expansions, Vintage would have no expansion related restrictions (highly in favor of that Nora Drain ban, thx Sok).

Oh, and finally, what did scrubballer do to get that xp lead that he is apparently so proud of? Don't know if I'd bother playing if I have to just grind a million games to catch him.

newsbuff and Goyo like this.
  2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

He basically just beat every single person he thought. Getting 5 xp for every win since roughly 1900 xp. He needs a girlfriend

Would be good to have ya back though, currently the game is doing fairly well balance in my opinion (if that at all interests you) and the low amount of ranked players thing i assume is to do with the win requirements. its no longer play 10 games. you need to win enough games to take you through all the standard ranks which im not sure how many games that is.

Qucas, SPiEkY and Tweek516 like this.
  3. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Nice to see you back, Nidhogg!

To answer your questions:
    1. There was a stickied thread regarding PS4 controls - I believe you can still find it within the first 3 pages of GD.
    2. That's up to Owls.
    3. Not too many people play Pox overall but the core playerbase remains.
    4. He plays a lot and doesn't give FQs to low ranks like Tiny does. Also got there primarily through Voils. (they're atm broken)

As for your other points - it's something people have already discussed and it's not necessarily something Owls might do, although it could work. The existence of Rune Forge and gold, shard and rune rewards for playing ranked as well as heroic achievements reduced the problem and made the game more accessible than ever before though.

Also one thing to note: there's no more shrine scry, it got replaced by shrine mulligan, which works the same way mulligans work in other card games. Players also start with a different amount of runes at the beginning: IIRC Player 1 has 8 runes revealed, while Player 2 has 10.

4. TheNidhogg

Ah, I feel it was harder to do that in the past unless you dodged like crazy (also elo was just broken back then). 15 wins a day for a month isn't that tough if you play something draw-winny and are pretty guaranteed to not run into any top tier players.

5. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Who are you?

Qucas and Pedeguerra like this.
  6. TheNidhogg

Shh bby is okay

Qucas and darklord48 like this.
  7. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Stranger danger

Qucas and darklord48 like this.
  8. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

You do need some pie , some creampie.

Qucas, Pattn199 and SPiEkY like this.
  9. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Sup?

10. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

start playing again.

Qucas, Anima26 and SPiEkY like this.
  11. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

Would be good to see you back Nidhogg! Pox is always worth getting back into :p

12. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Hey Nid, good to see ya still alive! Come check it out. Accessibility is ok, not bad, not great, but the game is in decent shape atm. Would love to see ya playin' again!
    Bond

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

The way ranking works was changed. You only show up on the leaderboards after you get to Rare League, which is essentially play X amount of games.

14. TheNidhogg

Nice to hear from you all! There does seem to be some misunderstanding about my main accessibility concern. It's not that I think runes are too hard to get (though that may be the case), it's that there are so many it's impossible to decide which runes to get. Limiting the rune pool would make it easier for new players to acquire runes necessary to play as well as make it easier for them to get started.

15. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

@Sokolov

16. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

In my opinion this wont work. Unlike HS, pox does not have a base set of runes that every faction can use. Secondly most runes do not overlap, if you were to make a Meta deck, yes your right, their are many different runes for healers, tanks, support ect. in every faction. But theme wise, for example in snaptooth, their is only one detection, one shatter, one healing unit...ect. This is why i dont think it can work the same.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Qucas and Etherielin like this.
  17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Hi, Hogg.

TheNidhogg likes this.
  18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

If set rotations were going to happen, I think the HS version is the absolute worst way to do it.

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Base set is eternal, then sets rotate on top of that.

20. TheNidhogg

This is a good point. It would require themes to get fleshed out completely in expansion cycles (blocks). But my original suggestion also called for a separate Vintage ladder, so rotated themes would be able to play ranked in there. I feel that splitting the playerbase is the biggest flaw with my proposal.

I'm open to other suggestions on how to solve this problem. I'll also entertain arguments that say 29 expansions worth of runes doesn't create a problem for new players.