The FW bonus is a lie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yobanchi, May 27, 2016.

1. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Witches show up twice.

2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

It pretty much is for me

3. TeaScholar

TeaScholar Better-Known Member

Are we really still having this discussion?

4. themacca

Un-Firkingfortunately

5. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

It's a little sad to realize over 1 year (almost 1.5 years) after this game was played, I still remember every critical mistake I made that game that cost the loss and I didn't even watch the video.
    I remember specifically the bonus wasn't why I lost, although it was very powerful.

Gnomes and Durand like this.
  6. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Do you think that sp gives a better unit diversity advantage as is?

I guess the argument is how many different units do you actually need in order to solve problems. But frankly, a unit such as zombie behemoths is a good deploy 90% of the time, except for passive side fonts where lethargic delays, or having 2x2 spacing problems. Fleshblight zombie is a close second, except for the bad synergy of rabid not proccing with manic.

If sp had multiple types of solve all units, I can't realistically see why I'd care about cd on units, since I could cycle solveall units and have no meaningful cds anyways. And I would have a huge nora discount.

I think the strongest use of the FW bonus is simply spamming efficent cheap meat with a ranged support/dps, while global relic damage/ nora gen work their magic.

Which still makes me wonder the validity of the current bonus as a whole. Let me know what u think

Woffleet likes this.
  7. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Lmao, FW bonus is garbage compared to most for me personally. It just adds a failsafe to poor play where being hyper aggressive or suiciding champs due to poor positioning doesn't have a ridiculous downside (Death benefit being the exception).

My general consensus from FW bonus when talking to people is that it's good at low/mid level play but when it gets to high level play your basically playing without a bonus.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    DiCEM0nEY and Gnomes like this.
  8. Durand

Durand Active Member

It was an interesting game, thank you for recording/showing it to us themacca. Some of the comments were also hilarious :)

But as Agirgis said, and if we are truly honest, the bonus didn't "win the game" even in this case.

I try to explain the reasoning why:
    Each time themacca summoned some champ second time in later parts of the game, there were at least 6 other champs in runedock that he could have summoned instead. None of the champs he summoned second time had any "come-in-play" effect. And none were so extremely OP (norawise), that the nora used to summon it was so clearly the best way to use that nora, that we could actually say it "won the game". Using that nora to some other roughly as efficient champ (norawise), would have been roughly just as good (*NOTE1). There were actually plenty of options (6 or more champs, many spells etc.) to use that nora instead. Summoning some champ second time costs just as much as the first time, so the value of that effect is exactly 0 (except in some special cases explained later here). However, in a game this long or longer, there was a chance that the bonus might have actually "won the game". If Xulos would have died very early, and if he had been summoned second time in later stages of the game, Dark Favor would have been very powerful (as it is in late game). (If anything, Lich Phylacteries might have "won the game", as they allow "summoning" a lich second time for 0 nora. Or the champs that reincarnate (usually as more powerful) when they die. Those are however abilities of those champs, and have nothing to do with the bonus).

(*NOTE1: There are usually some champs that are meant only for special situations and they might be less efficient otherwise. Most of the 6+ champs in this game (and usually) were not like that. Because decks have nowadays 30 runes, we never run out of useful champs to choose (except maybe 1 time in 100).

There are 2 special situations when the bonus is actually useful:

1) The champ has some useful "come-in-play" effect, like the Dark Favor of Xulos (and some other champs). Or Necrosis in a full-Necrosis deck.
    2) If there exist some so OP champs, that they are always clearly better than anything else. I think there are none anymore. But if there were, they will be nerfed eventually, making the bonus even more joke.

Disclaimer: I don't care about the bonus so much, as I play all factions equally. FW "bonus" is simply the most useless one, by far.

One possibility would be to keep the bonus as it is, but add some new ability in the next expansion to many champs (mostly FW, maybe all vampires etc, but it could basically exist on any champ). It could make them either slightly cheaper to summon or otherwise slightly more powerful, if they have died before. Some "escalation-type" ability, but instead of turns, it improves every time the champ dies. Becoming slightly cheaper would be most useful, but it might be hard to implement. Anyway, then the bonus would have at least some small usefullness. I have always wanted to make an effective vampire bg, or anything that currently gets 0 help from the bonus.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Woffleet likes this.
  9. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Nope

10. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Also wanted to say I love your banner. How did you make it? And can I have one but for the sp themes?

11. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Crap...what an oversight... I mean *cough* I like witches a lot so I put em in twice.. yeah that's it... *scitters away*

Also @Gnomes made it in photoshop, fairly fun but takes some time. Could see what I can do if I have some time today.

Etherielin, Durand and Gnomes like this.
  12. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

im ok at photoshop too, so i could try myself making the banners, but have no idea how to Implement it in. so its a gif of them changing and stuff

13. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Yeah, I basically premade the theme banners, put them on separate layers then in the timeline created two keyframes at the end where I changed the opacity and overlapped them all.

Make sure to have a still of the 1st theme underneath the last so that it loops seamlessly and save for web. ^_^

Gnomes likes this.
  14. DiCEM0nEY

Thats why I honestly think FW bonus is best with things like zombie behemoth, which is incredibly hard to counter.

15. Durand

Durand Active Member

Zombie Behemoth is bad, especially at the moment:
    -2x2 are cumbersome/buggy and it also blocks the movement of your own units
    -Unstoppable is bugged and doesn't currently work when its on the champ originally

16. DiCEM0nEY

Fearless also doesn't work vs intimidating presence.

I don't have a problem moving 2x2 aside from when the terrain is bugged. I mean, nothing gameplay affecting recently.

I tried to say 2x2 problems aside, meaning as long as the terrain permits. Zombie behemoths give 73hp base with a knock back and 12 damage for 54 to 56 nora though. They have great stats.

It was really only to illusttate the point that some units are much more useful / efficent at solving nearly any problem

Woffleet likes this.
  17. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Whats your suggestion? I mean its a double bonus, but all FW ranged champs could get -1 min range, and all melee units could get 50% extra nora from globes...

18. themacca

oh my god how many times do people need to tell you its a dumb idea for you to ****.

19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

If FW bonus has never been impactful, why has FW always been good enough to be played in the top ranks?

checkmate FW players

themacca and Vorian like this.
  20. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

Map rotation has a lot to do with FW's ability to function. At least for me. For everyone else, it is everything else. There have been map rotations where I can play well and get a winning win/loss record, and then there are map rotations where 25-40% win rate is a blessing.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017