an old idea brought to life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polltroy, Jan 30, 2015.

1. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

Pre nerf, I had the idea that we could have a second ranked league for only core set runes. This could be like the "training ground" for ranked but also some nostalgy for oldies. I think now we have the player base to do such a thing. Guess its not gonna happen as its kind of a way for ppl to enjoy the game "free", but anyway, could be worth discussing a bit maybe.

Molosse likes this.
  2. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Different leagues for Core Set/Extended Set would be a fun idea if we had a slightly larger playerbase. As it is at the moment it's relegated to private games.

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I like the idea but there is a small problem. Over the years some core runes have received updates to current meta standards but others have not. The game is currently balanced for using any rune. If you limit a game type to core there will likely be decks or even factions that are clearly superior to others. This isn't to say that it is a big problem, but one that would have to be addressed before something like this was to happen.

4. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

I think it's a good way to increase interest in the game and grow the player-base. It would be great for new players who will always be free-to-play at first to not have to worry about playing against paying users.

Once they grow comfortable with the game, start winning free runes and start salivating over the newly released runes... they will be motivate to pay and move into an advanced league.

5. polltroy

I was thinking about this problem too and cant see any good solution, except just to accept it as it is. Anyway core ranked would be mostly for fun and nostalgy, not so serious like normal ranked. If it becomes very popular, the problem could be solved by banning certain "op" core runes from "core ranked"

6. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

I agree there will likely be some imbalance among the runes, but the benefit is that it is much easier for newbies to attain all of the runes available, meaning they won't be at a disadvantage because of limited funds or rune access.

7. polltroy

Yes, and especially it will be simpler due to the limited amounts of runes, so its easier to get hooked on the game for new players. It could even be possible to put some limit on normal ranked, like you have to play at least x "core" ranked games before you have access to normal ranked play.