9/11/01 and the Priesthood of Regression

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

My point is two-fold:
    • I don't PERSONALLY understand the difference between disrespecting the Flag and those who hold elected office
      • This is a personal thing, I don't understand the reverence for the Flag in the first place so it's more of a question for those who see a difference
      • You can disagree with someone's policies, or thinks they aren't doing the right thing, but I don't understand the need for what seems to be personal disrespect and contempt
    • I feel that people are OK with disrespecting elected officials based largely on ideology, and will complain about such disrespect from others, which seems hypocritical
    Since I posted the flag stuff after your initial reply, I don't see how it is relevant to your original point, but there it is :D

Also, I am as dismissive of the reverence of the Constitution as I am of the reverence of the Flag. Neither makes sense to me. I don't understand how any of this could possibly come off as "defending Obama" unless you were pre-disposed to believing that was the point to begin with even tho I said nothing of the sort. I mean, it doesn't matter who is in office, I'd still have this problem.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. Sokolov

The point is that you seemed to be making the same "assumptions" in the opposite direction that you accuse me of making. The fact that I disagree with the causes and impacts of the corruption than what DJ thinks and am less critical of government in general doesn't mean I support all government and am a fan of corruption. We have been having a discussion about governments in general, and in particular, the US one. I have problems with both, but not to the extent that DJ does. It doesn't mean that when I argue against his points, that I am automatically on the opposite spectrum from him or that I don't agree with anything he says. I mean, I even explained this in this thread already.

But yes, I do believe, in general, that the trade-offs of having government is worth the inherent risks. It's not justifying nor advocating for corruption. It's simply a choice I would make.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  3. Sokolov

It's mostly me being annoyed at DJ for pulling the "you are missing the point" card in a multi-faceted discussion where people have differences of opinions. I guess it's a pet peeve kind of thing.

4. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

I am glad you explained it again, as I apparently missed it the 1st time. My bad.

I believe a gvt is needed. The current crony capitalist system in which journalists constantly lie and carry water for allies is way of course. We can do much better.

5. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

It was not the first time you'd made such comments.

6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

this has gotten to the point where i can't tell how sarcastic each poster is being at any given point

it's like a choose your own adventure political readthrough

Molosse, DarkJello and Ozariig like this.
  7. DarkJello

I am trying with all my might to be serious. But too much of it and I start to go a bit haywire. My last post, #44, was straight legit.

8. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

I really don't want to get embroiled in this discussion, so don't expect any further posts from me. But I feel strongly compelled to respond to this note:

Anyone who thinks that the Zeitgeist films are a credible source would do well to follow the film-maker's advice and to question what you are being told. A little bit of digging will reveal that Peter Joseph is full of Bane Shift.

9. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Eh I never said they were credible, just that yall should watch them

10. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

query- if something has little to no credibility but is shoved into the discussion regardless, isn't that more about teaching the controversy than discussing the facts?

11. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Yeah that was mostly what I was hoping to get at

12. DarkJello

More government employees hard at "work"... all on the taxpayer dime. Can you smell the efficiency?

Dozens of government employees at the U.S. Census Bureau have been billing taxpayers for time they never actually worked, wasting more than $1 million.

The 40 officials were supposed to be performing background checks on the census personnel who walk door-to-door throughout the country to collect information about Americans. Instead, they "engaged in pervasive misconduct over several years," according to an investigation by the Commerce Department's inspector general.

The inspector general found that dozens of employees claimed to have worked at least 19,162 hours during which they actually did not work at all between 2010-14. The "time and attendance abuse" drained nearly $1.1 million.

But after a whistleblower alerted the agency watchdog to the billing scheme, census officials attempted to "intimidate" anyone who was cooperating with the inspector general investigation.

Another unnamed employee repeatedly called the whistleblower a "coward" and a "chickens---," among other names.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/widespread-fraud-at-u.s.-census-bureau/article/2572348

13. Sokolov

Haha, I read about that earlier and wondered if you'd end up posting it.

DarkJello likes this.
  14. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

1.1 million dollars is barely anything out of the US budget though, no?

i'm not saying it couldn't have gone to better use, just that it's really not as much money as you'd think on a governmental scale.

DarkJello likes this.
  15. DarkJello

It is one data point. It is a miniscule amount, just as you state. We all know that others have not yet been caught. Scale of problem is difficult to determine.

16. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i mean, i wouldn't go so far as to say i know others are going on, but i wouldn't be in the least surprised. governments are made of people. people don't always do good things. there are many government workers that have (or claim to have) something of the american dream, where they feel that what they do is for the good of the nation. you don't hear about those people. a good person doing their job well and going home every day isn't sexy. a number like 1.1 million dollars in fraud is sexy (until you realize the context, but it's still a lot for one person)

unfortunately, numbers like that pop up because of people without some piece of the dream. for them, the job is just that. they're not working for any higher purpose than themselves, but their jobs affect the nation regardless.

same basic issue with police departments, i think.

17. DarkJello

Lo and behold the exact type of journalism that pollutes the minds of fellow Americans:
    (And it might cause cancer and/or gingivitis and/or erectile dysfunction and/or cerumen impaction).

For several months, Donald Trump has campaigned for president by largely ignoring traditional notions of decency. Thursday night, however, things reached a new low.
    At a Trump campaign rally in Rochester, New Hampshire a man in a “Trump” shirt took the microphone and said, “We have a problem in this country. It’s called Muslims.”
    “We know our current President is one,” he added. “You know he’s not even an American.”
    “We need this question,” Trump replied, smiling.
    Then things turned even darker, as the man discussed his beliefs that Muslims were in training camps plotting to kill.
    “That’s my question. When can we get rid of ‘em?” the man said.
    Trump was unfazed at the casual suggestion of cultural genocide. “We are going to be looking at a lot of different things. A lot of people saying that,” Trump said.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2...muslims-in-america-his-answer-was-horrifying/

This is NOT a new low in journalism, but it is highly disappointing that so many get paid handsomely for such propaganda. (On both sides, of course).

18. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

people like hearing what they already believe.

allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllso i was under the impression that that sort of 'media' didn't pay much at all, which gets balanced out by the low effort that gets thrown in

19. DarkJello

Gonna post Trump's response, hopefully @badgerale won't get upset at another copy and past by the Overlord of Gelatin:

[​IMG] Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Am I morally obligated to defend the president every time somebody says something bad or controversial about him? I don't think so!

This is the first time in my life that I have caused controversy by NOT saying something.

If someone made a nasty or controversial statement about me to the president, do you really think he would come to my rescue? No chance!

If I would have challenged the man, the media would have accused me of interfering with that man's right of free speech. A no win situation!

Christians need support in our country (and around the world), their religious liberty is at stake! Obama has been horrible, I will be great.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-fires-off-small-142714751.html

20. DarkJello

9-19-2015

75% in U.S. See Widespread Government Corruption

These figures are higher than some might expect, and while the lack of improvement is somewhat disconcerting, the positive takeaway is that Americans still feel fairly free to criticize their government. This is not the case in some parts of the world. Questions about corruption are so sensitive in some countries that even if Gallup is allowed to ask them, the results may reflect residents' reluctance to disparage their government. This is particularly true in countries where media freedom is restricted.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/185759/widespread-government-corruption.aspx