Will this game become popular again? (more than ever)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bossermax, Sep 20, 2016.

1. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

No, no, no, no and no. We have gone over this before at why this is a bad idea

2. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

There you go. Short, succinct and to the point.

3. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

thanks for your opinion, it means alot to me.

4. Zidiana

Zidiana The King of Potatoes

Personally I find this game more balanced than ever and that there are so many themes that can mantain high ranks. Sure there are some things that are slightly too good and probably the odd broken combo but I find deck diversity to be very high at the moment.

I cannot agree with your logic mw24 that all things should be balanced for top end pvp only. There are only ever a small amount of people playing at the top level. If there's a rune or mechanic that is fine for top10 players but is utterly devestating at mid and lower tiers then it is op for most matches. If the community was big and there were like 50+ active top tier players then ok but there isn't.

5. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

i never said that and thats not how i would balance.

6. ChiaoLung

Happy to oblige. :) Perhaps you'd care to go back and dig up all the threads by various people over the years outlining why having top level players balance the game isn't a good idea? It might give you some much needed perspective on the whole balancing issue.

7. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Humm, except MW is partially correct?
    Having newbs balance the game is a good idea, then?
    If I'm not mistaken, and from what I've known from Sokolov, he likes to mix both ends of the spectrum. In fact, he values more in depth explanations and coherent logic than game knowledge (this is my gut feeling).
    But yeah, having both perspectives are good, I personally just dont like when newbs start suggesting changes to buff/nerf runes, their input in that regard isnt valid.
    However, when it comes to identifying problem runes and generally brainstorming ideas, they are good as anybody.
    Ok, carry on.

JellyBerry and SPiEkY like this.
  8. ChiaoLung

Yep. That's exactly what is needed, input from both ends of the spectrum. As far as suggestions on buffs/nerfs some noobs have some good ideas and some top level players have terrible ideas. My opinion is that MW falls in the latter category. His buff/nerf suggestions have all been either self-serving or suggestions that would send us back to the Corpse-era arms race of buff after buff leaving the older content as terrible (or if he brings up the older content to the level of the newer content just a continuous buff-fest which leads to everything being massively overpowered.)

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I feel there are two things that are necessary for good balance. First, top players should give detailed feedback on what is happening and how it is creating unbalance. Second, changes need to be analyzed at lower levels to ensure that things won't become unbalanced to the point that lower skill players cannot overcome it.

10. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Proper coordination of the sensory systems and something to stand on, yeah.

Luckily they don't have to be separated. Explanations and logic still have to make sense, and engaging the way Sok does kind of helps him digress between faulty reasoning and a sound argument regardless of who it is. I'll agree however that experience expands perspective and it's necessary to assess the state of a rune. Many of the perceived 'balance' issues would simply go away if everyone who participated in these discussions did have an understanding of Pox and it's current state, but that's wishful thinking.

There is and there will always be a context so I doubt that at this point in time drastic changes will go through based on the perspective of a sole player, top or not. So it's all good.

Edit: Also lets hope for a good influx of players sometime, that too would help alleviate and calm people's borked perception of 'balance' in PoxNora.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    SPiEkY, Pedeguerra and ChiaoLung like this.
  11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

"Balance" is maybe my least favorite design word.

JellyBerry likes this.
  12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I value game knowledge. What I don't value is anecdotal evidence that you can't back up with discussion and explanations, instead I value the ability to demonstrate game knowledge.

A person might very well be right, but it's not very useful if they can't articulate why - ESPECIALLY when deciding what to do about something.

That's why I value the ability for people to explain their positions - not only does it allow them to demonstrate their game knowledge instead of simply claiming they have it, it also means they are helping arrive at the solution... that's the difference.

~

This is the same way I approach pretty much everything in life. Being able to explain WHY you are right is far more important than being right, in my opinion.

Of course, in some ways, this is unfair, you guys aren't the game designer, I am, but I like to treat you all as partners so I try and give you all the opportunity to discuss and also encourage those kinds of discussion instead of taking your feedback, saying thanks and going back to my ivory tower and not talk about it with you.

JellyBerry, Kampel, ChiaoLung and 2 others like this.
  13. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

thats not what i would do at all but you can keep making stuff up if you want. the reason i ask for buffs alot is because the devs do a poor job of building champions and leave most of them far below the top tier champs commonly used at the higher ranks.

i dont ask for blanket buffs but im not about to explain everything here. The developers and most of the players only have a basic understanding of the games pvp and therefore cant do a very good job balancing it without alot of help from the players who know it well.

Alot of simple things about the game the devs struggle to understand which is why the game never gets to a desirable state balancewise. Its like this with most other games as well but it doesnt have to be as bad with this game and balance matters more to a game like this.

14. ChiaoLung

Your record kinda speaks for itself here. I'm not going to get involved in a "nuh uh," "uh huh," battle with you over it.

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I think the game is very hard to balance for anyone, as everyone including developers has shown bias towards one faction or another.

I also disagree that only a select "few" have the game knowledge required to balance the game. I've gotten in many talks with new and old players alike who I might be better than competitively but they showed me a different way to look at things.

Their will never be perfect balance in pox, and people will always disagree on what balance is in pox and that's part of the issue.

My view- I'd like to see all themes competitive at the top level

Other views- they'd prefer to see a few themes really strong and played at the top level but a few lesser themes that can be played mid tier

In my opinion pox is in a terrible spot balancewise, however this is just my opinion and many people are happy with it right now although the playerbase currently says otherwise.

Not any one person will ever be able to balance pox because their are too many moving parts and not enough people at the helm.

You can be right about a lot of things but the way you go about it depends on how serious its going to be looked at.

If you did a balance thread I'd be more than happy to put my input in if you used solid reasoning, and it would be interesting picking the brain of a better player than myself who plays multiple factions.