Taint still bugged (five years running)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoserSlick, Apr 2, 2017.

1. LoserSlick

LoserSlick Devotee of the Blood Owl

i've made multiple threads about this bug in times past - figured i might as well make another one since i'm "back"

i don't seem to notice any issue with any regen 3 base upgrade. however, when Taint is cast on a champion there seems to be a conflict where SL deploy regen bonus knocks Taint's regen 3 buff down a rank. it can get knocked down multiple ranks (e.g. regen 3 to regen 1) based on where you are fighting and how many times the champion enters and leaves the deploy zone.

particularly recently, i've been raging campaign enough to where i can say definitively that Taints regen 3 buff is not affected if you steer clear of any deployment zone.

can we PLEASE finally get this fixed? and if not--if the coding required to do so is too extensive and laborious--then could we get a simple description change and minor nora cost adjustment?

thanks!

aseryen likes this.
  2. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

It's also worth noting that Taint grants Draconic Force (2) which is granting +4 damage per dragon kin, but the description reads +2 . I assume the +4 is correct though since Draconic Force 1 grants +2 damage. Another text error to add to the list for the next patch @Sokolov

aseryen and DiCEM0nEY like this.
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Draconic Force 2 is doing +4 DMG (and would be doing so in all other instances where Draconic Force 2 could be obtained). DF Rank 2 been this way for a long time, but basically it wasn't supposed to have a Rank 2 anymore and Taint is incorrectly granting Rank 2 - which will be fixed.

As for Regen bug, that's really less of an issue with Taint and more of a general problem with ranked abilities and is not really an easy one to resolve as far as I know - but either way, looking into the bug database, it is a known issue. I'll look a look personally and see if I can hack in some fix specifically for Taint.

aseryen and Leadrz like this.
  4. Sokolov

To explain the problem, here's an example flow:
    1. SL font bonus adds Regeneration with a Rank value of 1
    2. Champion now has Regen with a Rank value of 1
    3. Cast Taint on the Champion, with adds Regeneration with a Rank value of 3
    4. Champion now has Regen with a Rank value of 3 (because max rank of this ability is 3)
    5. Champion leaves SL font, which removes Regeneration with a Rank value of 1
    6. Champion now has Regen with a Rank value of 2
    Basically, the problem is that the game engine in this case doesn't store the INTENDED rank value, only the ACTUAL rank value.

My hunch is that if I simply remove the effect and re-add it after the champion moves out of the font zone in the Taint buff, it'll "fix" it for Taint (though the general issue will remain a problem).

aseryen and Leadrz like this.
  5. Sokolov

I think I got it.

The spell's buff now checks for Regen 3 at the end of each turn, if the champion doesn't have it, it adds it.

aseryen, Tweek516, Etherielin and 2 others like this.
  6. LoserSlick

yea i figured that was where the conflict was. thanks for the fix

i did see that there were one or two other bugs. i'll be sure to write a little note to myself so i don't forget next time. none of them bugged me as much as the taint spell tho

thanks again

7. Sokolov

Yea, unfortunately, this doesn't fix any other potential variant of this issue, but at least in this case, for all intents and purposes it SHOULD resolve it from a functional standpoint.

If I was an actual programmer I could try and tackle the real issue, but it's in everyone's best interests if I don't touch that code :D

8. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

is the core code written in that same thing you keep showing us when you link code or is it written in a different language

9. Sokolov

The code I share with you is the scripting language, which are basically calls for specific functions exposed to the scripting language in the base code. Taint is written in the scripting language and it is what I modified/adjusted to get the desired result.

How champions handle getting abilities added and removed IN GENERAL (even via scripting language) is base engine code, which is in java - and I wouldn't even know where to find it.

10. LoserSlick

must channel your inner autism :)

11. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

see java I get more then that weird scripting language. I mean it's plain enough what it's intent is when I read it but the syntax seems so foreign to me

12. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Is this semi-still the case with "domain: shadows"...meaning when conditions are checked. I had a whole domain/dead magic zone deck...that simply doesnt work because you have to move before the game registers your on a DMZ which defeats the purpose in most cases.

13. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

Way to go fixing this Sok.