DOOM: revamp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by only, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I get the sense that your main concern is that they are too worried about revenue to make the game desirable for the f2p crowd that is the life blood of these kind of games. I'm worried about that too. They don't have an innate sense of how to do that properly, as already shown. But they did lower prices as a result of player pressure. So perhaps once the revamp is done and they open the doors to the public (so to speak) then the continuing stagnation of the playerbase will be enough of a push for them to reconsider their f2p model. I've been waiting for years for pox to get its head out of its ass, I can wait as long as it takes. tbh I have a sneaking suspicion that they are just updating the code and giving it a new paint job with the goal of selling it again, in which case this all just shouting in the wind anyway.

2. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

The wound left by SoE on the playerbase is still open, you shouldnt be speaking about those stuff.. its too soon.

3. Apostate

Apostate I need me some PIE!

I don't know. I see people drawing comparisons to Hearthstone, Diablo, League of Legends, other DOG games I haven't played and a number of other things. In my eyes I see Magic: The Gathering as a pretty good example of a TCG done well. This isn't to dredge up the age-old discussion on rotating legality. Then again, I think my point might be lost if I focus on MTG.

I'm honestly in favor of zero ability customization. I would prefer to see a champion and know exactly what it does rather than having to cross-check every single rune someone plays. I feel that I shouldn't have to worry about whether or not Bastion Remnant took Counterattack: Melee. The amount of runes that we have now that don't see any play at all is extremely disappointing. I understand that all cards won't be equal in powerful but a lot of these are inexcusably useless cards. In an ideal world they would go back and fix all the ones that extremely unusable but the concerns people like @Ragic are raising over a sustainable price model are legitimate.

I don't know what the answer is. I, as most people seem to, see a conflict between what makes sense as a consumer, and what makes sense as a player. I've grown attached to the community and want it to thrive. All the doomsaying, scamming, flaming and bad vibes hurt me immensely to see.

I just want all the folks here to be happy.

hsssh likes this.
  4. MadCom

MadCom Active Member

How revamp is actually gonna happen:

[​IMG]

P.S.This picture in no way tries to insult awesome work owls are doing to revive our beloved game, but just to have few laughs. I don't want to insult anyone. Please don't ban me :)

Baskitkase likes this.
  5. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Hahaha the last squares are acctually pretty funny.
    I doubt we will be raging at their work, though, at this point any change is benefical to the game.

6. only

only Active Member

so we were given two more previews and I thought it will be relevant to bring this up, again. 3rd preview (not the latest one) wasn't that bad actually, but it's mostly due to visual changes! they were stunning.

wouldn't it be better/easier just to use refund policy in the revamp?

1. take ANY champion and give it one of the following label:
    - below line (considered too weak)
    - on line (considered balanced: more or less)
    - above line (considered too strong)

2. refund champions for their loss of abilities:
    - in favor of so-called shoebooks
    - reasonably fair for non offenders
    - "punish" above line (OPies)

3. refund policy (designwise):
    - try to consolidate abilities (not from technical perspective) by flavor/intention. if not possible, refund in stats/reduce nora cost.

I do understand that designs will be changed in the big picture, but at the moment I see nothing more than you guys toying with something what was/is around for a long time. in other words, does shaving off abilities per champion really require those big design changes? do not invent new nora costs or etc. otherwise, I see more intentions than just removing CP. it's pretty safe to assume you're not happy with the current state of the game in terms of variaty. what's up with that? do you really believe pox problem is its gameplay's depth and not some design issues?

so take example of something like Imp Jester.

he has 7 abilities on base (gets 8th as Sentry as well) + 2 upgrades.

base:
    Basic Attack: Sonic
    Chuck Spider
    Flight
    Mischief

then upgrades

so following the refund policy, you would consider that this champion is fine or below line except the fact that Mischief is broken. Mischief could stand getting CD2.

losing Ichor: DMG and getting Mischief CD increased should justify loss of Scorn and Faithless considering he wasn't offender.

so this is how I would understand revamp. but now, you totally mix up champions leading into some madness of balance. I do not state that Imp Jester won't become better/worse after such a change, but at least we didn't do anything absurdly risky and in the long run (read: the whole revamp), there will be much less offenders following such a simply policy. on top of that, it's not so hard and it follows what you want to achieve -- less abilities per champion.

***WARNING: RANT***

as for now, it seems like "hey, this is Imp Jester", let's put his nora cost to 80 and then figure out what changes we could apply to him. because the current variaty of poxnora is total !#$%, the current balance of poxnora is !#$%^, the current pace of the game is !##$%^, instead of changing these things as developers overtime after revamp will settle down, just try to invent new balance, which might require couple years to be properly balanced since we don't want to remove CP system, instead of just invented new upgrade system since deckbuilding isn't deep enough in Pox, it's weaksauce.

7. Xiape

Xiape I need me some PIE!

TL/DC

Please make separate threads -- you have several different ideas that require their own discussion. Or even better, wait until after the revamp and only raise issues that weren't addressed.

8. egami

egami Devotee of the Blood Owl

Actually a lot of good points of discussion in there. However, nobody can drink from a firehose and it was very hard to plow through given your self-described limitations in writing,
    That is if you wanted a discussion, of course. Whenever I see so many ideas jumbled together, I see a person who just wants to vent which is fine but will lead to far less discussion and limit likely results to you feeling better and the world not really caring. Trust me. I'm a narcissist at times (less and less as I grow older) and have great experience in talking for my own benefit and being pissed when people don't listen or make fun of me.

9. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

a narcissist wouldn't use a street sign as his avatar but rather a pic of himself smoking a cigar and looking off into the distance.

10. egami

egami Devotee of the Blood Owl

[​IMG]

Ragic likes this.
  11. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

To be honest, I find nora gen in IS to be unrunnable. We need more nora gen counters like resonance or atleast make our nora gen do other stuff like it was during silverclan fist era now we are just back into is collector era.