A Journey into the Sands

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by fattyy2k, Aug 10, 2022.

1. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

So Coming back to pox after years I find the game updated and in a better spot than ever before. I also find that I had no idea how bad of a player I was before :p my favorite theme has always been sand and I am now on a quest to create and refine a current sand BG. I will be posting reviews and thoughts after each game, giving my experiences and discoveries. Here are going to be my rules:

4/11/2023 EDIT NOTE:
    I am taking my lumps and losing quite a bit but I consistently feel its due to my own lack in skill. I am getting better and have won several games with the current version. I am finally getting a feel I think and slowly improving my own skill.

1. BG created from scratch, no net decking
    2. Only ranked games count. The goal is to have a competitive deck and friendly games may not be the best representation of that.
    3. I will share both my wins and my losses. Can’t learn if I can’t own up to when I make mistakes.
    4. I will not change the BG before 3-5 games of each version. If a small modification is made like swapping an upgrade, I will notate it, but no runes swapping until I have played those few games with the current version.

I am going to attempt to record the games and may even post to YouTube. This will be a grand journey! Now, for the first step…

Alright so let’s dig in. v12 is has been tuned by myself after the initial recommendations from Alakhami (thanks btw).

upload_2023-6-6_11-31-40.png

Melee Champs: champions whose role is to tank and skirmish on the frontlines. Also is our font runners spots.
    • Sandstalker Lord - Added back in in V4. I just keep feeling like he is a good choice. We will see. He was clutch against Myx but this BG is a hard counter anyway. 6.5 changed to Desert Camo to solidify his tank role and reduce his cost. x2 in V7
    • Varu Dragon - took out completely in V3 as was too squishy for his cost. After update looks a like an interesting option again, but I have yet to slot him in.
    • Farcrags Tardigrade: Took out in V4 because of room. v6.5: after the update I feel he doesn't stay in theme while maintaining peak ability to tank. Still not a bad rune, but he has fallen out of my own favor with ability changed.
    • Kanen Alpha: again, moved back out as I needed the room for things that benefited the BG more.
    • Draksar Sandstalker: With new rework I think he is very viable. i currently am likeing the combo between the vinecreeper and Planar Dissonance so he isnt in the cut. Took him out for more reliable options, but he can work. Perhaps he fits better in a draksar sand though.
    • Tainted Vinecreeper: v4 put back in as the testing showed amazing utility with the stealthed teleport. The combo of Sandspout plut ambush makes him a very threatening font grabber. Use Tunnel Trap with Planar Dissonance for profit. V8 put 2x in with hidden sand after watching another player's high success with the ambush. Took out as it just wasn’t what I wanted to focus on and ended up a more “cute” idea. Not a bad champ but isn’t fitting my playstyle.
    • Skywing Imperator: After the balance patch this guy changed a bit. Running him with sandstriker and lightning bomb as the damage scales together. Super solid champ who can fight really well when supported. Had at 2x but reduced to 1x in v11 Updated to 2x again in v12 as he was just that good.
    • Demonic Sandclaw: Added back in for v6. They are cheap, durable, and incredibly high damage. The value is there on paper and has preformed well in games. Right after the UD patch there has been a lot of bleed BGs out there so he has been a good counter (demon so heals on blood balls). 2x and a prime candidate for the mantle. Also you can use any sand gen meathod and he becomes a good 1v1 side font champ. Sand Generator works well here.
    • Sundered Doombringer: Removed in v6 due to deck space. The debate is over what melee and ranged champs I bring. Added +1 back in 6.5 due to magic damage + punish. V8 removed for preferences.
    • Sandstalker Dustdevil: added in 6.5. I do not like stasis but utilizing grant tunnel moves him up quickly and makes this guy a menace. Currently in an OP state as he can one-shot pretty much anything. I took him out after the nerf, but even more so people just kept finding ways to neutralize him so I stopped running him for now. Another champ I think will work better in pure sand draksar. I added 1 back in based on recommendations from more skilled players. 1 has been a good option to play and has proven invaluable at times.
    Ranged: damage dealers primarily. This theme has better option after the balance patch now, but will shorter range.
    • Sandlion (Sandsnipe) - 6.5 has as 1x due to being the long range, running distract and domain. The real value is it is our precision option. I have increased to x2 as I feel I need the long range and the distracted is very useful. Put the Valdaci Sentry's equip on him and you get a lot of value. V11 has had me swapping one out, but will probably go back to 2x.Made 2x again in V12, running desert camo and scour.
    • Sand Elemental - taken back out in V7 sadly. I love him but I am seeing too much def hate for his calcify to matter. V11 Added back in as he is just super efficient for an early mid font skirmisher. Might reduce to just 1x Made 1x as an early deploy. He can contest the mid font well as a tanky, mobile skirmisher and provides a large area of sand gen.. I do not play him lategame normally.
    • Sandspitter - was already decent but now as a 1x1 it has much more potential. Increased up to x2 in v6 Took out in V8 for more consistency. The 2-4 hurts a lot when I need ranged damage. I will see if I end of regretting it as he CAN be a 15 damage ranged attacker with sirocco. I just found positioning him to be useful was more painful that I was finding worth it for my playstyle. Will discuss more at the bottom of this. V11 added in as 1x with empowered: range to be a ranged attacker and transfer to a mid range support after.
    • Sandhunter - While good, with 2x Sandkips and Sandspitters I didn’t really need him. 6.5 +1 for magic damage. Considering making x2. Stay tuned I took him out in v8 completely in favor of doubling up on other options. I just wasn't deploying him but he is still a good champ.
    • Skeezick Wylder - decent ranged option since he stealths on sand but more importantly he brings imbue stun. The BG doesn't have a lot of hard CC so this is a useful addition. Made 2x as he has been preforming well. He has good damage with domain: shadows and can give another unit +4 and magic damage + stun. Super useful both as a ranged attacker and as a support piece. My main target for the Legion Standard or the Vadaci Sentry's equip. made x2 as he has become my fav ranged champ in the BG.
    Supports: These are the different champs included to support the other options. These are not meant to be the main damage dealers so their AP is best used as a supporting rune the majority of the time.

• Dune Walker - The iconic support champ for the sand theme. The biggest support is the grant: tunnel. Running tunnel for mobility and domain. I have yet to really do much with ripples but combos well with Dunewalker's Mantle. Having his other abilities used every turn has indeed been useful due to ripples. I removed the Dune Walker in v11/12 and it hasnt been a problem. Perhaps he will make it into other BGs, but I havent found his mobility to be as game winning as I had hoped.
    • Dunes Manticore - the heal bot rune for this BG. Transfer life 2 is incredibly good. V2: changed to sand font as it was more reliable so spawning sand. V6.5 took out sandstorm so the best option from here. made 2x because I have grown to highly value the petrify to stop aggressive pushes. V11 changed to spellsurge on both since I put Sandstorm back in. Not regretting it so far.
    • Skeezik Herder - the main reason he is included is drive. Extra ap and extra damage is welcome in addition to the back line sand front. The change to shorter range makes me sad, but adding grant tunnel sand is an interesting option. So far works quite well. Took out for deck consistency. I would rather the Dunewalker for his abilities but sand beasts still can use bearded quite well.
    • Mutant Doctor - Took out in V4 due to fitting in what I really needed. Doc is very good, but just didnt make the cut.
    • Farcrags Sandkip - fast and able to grab fonts. Provides sandspray and sorrocco to support the front. Leap allows for efficient moving. First deploy if speed is needed, particularly on Underdepths. Only keeping as 1x as I have moved its role to a support rune. V11 made 2x again as he is just too good for what he does. V12 reduced to 1x as I found playing him less preferential than a few other champs.
    Tech Champs: these are champs chosen to counter something specific, in this case summons and stealth.
    • Locust - took out in v6 with the changes to Magnetize. I think it will be a more effective anti summon, but locust is also a good font grabber and we will see if I miss the locus swarm AOE.
    • Mantid Tracker - My choice of detection rune. Hidden sand adds synergy to the list, but with evasive is just a bit unnecessary, I think. Leap 3 for U2. This actually makes a decent font runner to contest and skirmish on a remote font. If they have a melee champ, I can drop some sand via relic or spell and they will not be able to deal with him easily. Declare target keeps him relevant as an additional support rune. I took him out in favor of the Valdaci Sentry due to the greater versatility from illuminated. This also gives more targets for equipment removal which might help protect my other equips.
    • Valdaci Sentry - My new detection option. has Detection(3) on base but can also give it and illuminate to anyone else. In my limited testing it has been worth it. Also is a 7 spd champ so that is nice. V12 has made him a staple as it is also my answer to high armor with the illuminate.

Spells: these range from counters to faction staples and I will give reasons on each.
      • Planar Dissonance - Added back in as it pushes my advantage and punishes my opponent. Has been clutch for winning a positioning and resource battle. A great spell but I had to make cuts and it was one… miss it sometimes but other spells have proven more reliable.
      • Purge - 6.5 testing is making me want it back, but havent made room for it yet. I have put this in instead of Dragon God staff. More versatile and has been clutch.
      • Quicken - Put back in with V7. Running quickening instead
      • Reforge - my anti equipment rune. Simple enough
      • Sandstorm - originally I had taken out of the deck, but based on recommendations I put back in as a 2x especially with manticore being able to heal. It’s been a great tool so far.
      • Tornado - took out in v6 for Magnetize as an anti relic spell. We will see if I need a damage spell option. Put back in as a versatile damage/antirelic spell.
      • Verdict of Derifos - Took out due to slots. Was useful, but never quite what I needed. Sandspout works better.
      • Sandspout - After the balance patch this also grants stealth to my own units. I am considering 2x but space is an issue. Can win fonts Sometimes if used properly.
      • Cancel Magic - After testing mroe since its cost increase, I am unsure if it is worth the slot. I will try it for a bit more, but considering other options as it only works about 50% of the time. Took out as I was very disappointed with the performance after the patch. i do nto think it is bad but I am getting better use out of the slots elsewhere.
      • Magnetize - The anti-summon and anti-relic spell. Useful for dual purpose. V11 took out to make room for reccommmendations, but we will see as i am seeing a rise of summons based BGs in the ranked queue
      • Firestorm (Fireblaze) - added in as a damage spell. It is expensive but I aquired the LE version lately so having fun with it. does more damage than burning sandspout and its fire damage instead of physical. Had my fun but took out for Tornado.
      • Burning Sands - Using again as the deamage spell in the BG. Good for cost. Took out in favor of Tornado.
      • Draconic Benediction - Slotted in V8 for powerturn and versatility. Been a great addition so far.
      • Quickening: another powerful staple in the faction. Running it instead of quicken. I keep going back and forth, but DB is the superior spell and sometimes you just need a single model to attack twice. For that I have swapped to a single Quicken.
      • Enslave: a staple for many SL decks. Currently trying it to see if I like it. Either does nothing as the opponent positions well, or it can be game changing.
    Relics - I am running 2 relics
      • Skywing Beacon - Took out as I just needed other options more.
      • Slum Market - Still gone from earlier versions and have not felt the need to run it.
      • Warbanner - I took out in V7 (heresy I know) but I am experimenting without it. So far in V8 I am not missing it. often i will just deploy the Phalanx marker where needed and it doesnt instantly die to champs.put back in v11 as it synergises well with the deck strengths.
      • Hive - took out in v6. If I run into more vothsairs then I will add it back in.
      • Phalanx Marker - best SL font contestor and buffs up my units more. V11 took out for room.
      • Sand Generator: V7 put this back in. Finding good use for sure but not an auto include. Great spot sand for scorpion
    Equipment: V2 is running more than normal as explained.

• Dunewalker Mantle - the buff is amazing for melee champs. running as 1x
      • Legion Standard - this is to counter effects prevented by iron will. It’s been a key rune for me in the past so we will see if it keeps its spot going forward. Synergy with sand ele as pawn still causes calcify to trigger. V6 added back in for now. i took out but instantly started to regret it. I prefer to put it on champs like the Wylder who can stealth in the back.
      • Alakios Blade: While the combo with Dunewalker is cute, it wasnt efficient enough to keep its spot.
      • Bonesplitter Maul - Took out as it wasnt flexible enough and the deck slots are tight.
      • Dragon Gods Staff - Took out as I have Purge and it gets in a way of other equips or my equipped needed the effect.
      • Serpenter Scale Armor: I have been trying since V7 with the Sandstalker lords as the main target and it has been amazing. Really bumps up his threat level and leaves the mantle for the demonic sandclaws. Took out in v11 for other options
    Deck Strategy:
    Revisiting my mindset for playing the game as also made me reconsider my deckbuilding goals. Between sandkips with their spd 7 and leap, the mantid with its leap, and dunewalker with his grant tunnel, this is a very mobile BG. Add in the domain sand and you can have a Bg that you cannot tie down. My goal is to focus my main force in the center font, slowly outtanking the enemy while using my sand gen and tunneling to get around the line and force a fight on a side. If I am wining mid I can force the side font, but if losing mid I will need to turtle and use my power turn options to gain the advantage. To summarize, win con is speed to contest fonts with superior durability. While rushing fonts seemed like the way, this BG is better at slowly tanking but I have found it can still do good damage. I will add more details to playstyle as I refine it more.

This BG benefits far more from playing champs than spells and equips. Most of the non-champs need to only be played when it guarantees a kill or saves a unit. Spells like Planar Dissonance and Sandspout are great ways to debuff and outplay opponents but do not get over spammy.

This BG doesnt have as many powerturns, but relies more on your own play skill to wear down the opponent. You can stack up effects for combo kills. Considering running DB for those turns.

The deck is proving quite fun.

That is the deck. I will give further updates after each gaming session! Also will try to record. More to come!
    4/25/23 - My playstyle with the deck has evolved over time since I wrote the above. My deck tends to slow approach and relies on some of the CC to beat the opponents' front lines while my anti ranged defenses help mitigate the backline. My biggest bane has been anti-def tech as it is a major way my champs reduce damage through Domain: Sand and Desert master.

6/6/23 - Continuing to improve and play vs a variety of decks, this is proving quite a strong archetype. With the removal of several champs, the mobility in general is lower, but the deck has become more consistent. I have found having some form of CC can go a long way to winning mid-font. My games have been sporadic, but otherwise they are doing ok with a fairly decent percentage of wins. I will try to do a better job of logging them and what I face. Keeping track of what is challenging is difficult at times.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    devilsrath and sWeNibor like this.
  2. fattyy2k

Session 1
    Had kids with me so didn’t record.

Game 1: Loss into a SL/IS split meta group, I was second player Grove of Ashes map.

Dropped the Dunewalker first to claim top font and Sand Elemental next turn to head bottom font. I needed up fighting against their angel and I did fine for awhile, but he had his Nightwatch who kept stunning my Sandsnipe.

The Sand Elemental was actually a really good tank to fight down in the fonts. He could move around with mobility and was able to get some work done. He didn’t survive but by the time he died I think I have already lost the fight due to board state.

I dropped a Skywing Beacon too early I think. I used it to contest when I didn’t need to. I need to be more patient and use it at a better time.

the Dune Walker was actually a big deal for mobility. Able to grant tunnel helped me Sandsnipe get into the fight quickly.

Overall I should have deployed one more champ earlier. I also couldn’t find my detection so the dwarf kept restealthing

Game 2: Loss into SL/IS split equip spam on snarling tangle as first player.

I deployed a Sandkip to cap a font and my opponent responds but double deploying the undead draksar and another rune for a fast double font grab. I deployed the Sand ele to grab the other font then heading middle. He dropped the draksar archer and began spamming equips. Entropic clasp negated my sand ele damage and lasher helm went onto the Sandkip. I slowly got worn down.

I feel I panicked and tried to engage too quickly, losing my stuff in the process. I was never able to one round his champs and just fell behind. I should have had patience, but with the archer having strike, it negated my Sand ele.

Game 3: rematch loss into the equips player on the underdepths map as player 1.

I deployed the mantid tracker first going too. I ignored bottom font and for awhile seemed I was winning. Until he ran his font runner into my side font and I started to slowly lose again from there. I was tilted already (equips are an incredibly annoying deck) and just surrendered as my mental state was done and I couldn’t kill anything before he would kill one of mine. His offensive equips hurt me quite a bit in that they really punished any misplay I had.

the mantis tracker was actually really useful. Being stealthy kept him from getting offensively equipped and he couldn’t attack him from range due to elusive. Definitely keeping him in.

Session thoughts: Sand Ele was way better than I anticipated. I just happened to run him into a champ second game that negated his biggest selling point. I played too quickly, getting impatient and not waiting long enough to gain my own advantage. Sand lord was too expensive to play regularly especially as a tank at 80. I will look at his upgrades and consider either changing him to another Rune or changing his role. Again will only do it after 10 total games

to next time!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  3. fattyy2k

Only got one game in but I made a lot of changes for V2 as described above.

Win vs FS/UD poison on Maljarin shores as player 1.

first deploy was doctor who was a big player all game. There was a standoff at first and I was nervous to move in as sand ele (who was deployed before I knew it was poison). I eventually made a move and managed to get the advantage after he lost 2 champs the following turn and his font the turn after that.

The changes all came in at clutch times and I didn’t find I was lacking for sand at all.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  4. fattyy2k

So technically 2 play sessions, but 3 games total.
    Game 1 loss vs acid amp. I over engaged on auxillium. I should have been more reserved but I let the sunderpedes gain the advantage since I didn’t use my aoes. Looking back I could have dealt with them better as and sandspout inhibits them too. Got to try out the radio fire flame strike with Dunewalker and akakios blade. I think I will keep the combo in for now.

game 2 win on underdepths against same acid amp. I deployed first using sandkip to cap top font as he deployed second going bottom. I won more through his misplay, but he couldn’t stop my sandkip from contesting his side font while the Kanen alpha and sandlion killed his few defending units. I dropped a tardigrade second drop into bottom font and he tanked out both a drake and acid ele, actually killing the drake eventually. Tardigrade will be a 2x in the BG with their tanking potential.

game 3 loss against ST/UD goodstuffs on elemental plateau. Sandstalker was too squishy to actually do anything. Need to take him out. Kanen alpha while good I think needs to be dropped, even with his cheeky plays. Skywing beacon did work this game allowing me to deploy about 5 champs forward, but problem was I put it in a spot where it stopped my sand ele from joining the fight and I didn’t have my Dunewalker out for tunnel. Lesson learned.

So far my losses are not from the BG but from my own mistakes. That’s a good thing but still feel I need to optimize.

3.0 changes will be as follows:
    sand v3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  5. fattyy2k

I had a single ranked game I had to quit due to kiddo waking up, but I was winning vs boghoppers. Deck was doing exactly as I was expecting, even got the dunewaler/akakios blade going. The above list change seems to be working out. Will report more.

6. nytrequiem

nytrequiem The King of Potatoes

Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying reading your journals. I've never seemed to figure out a good setup for a sand bg for some reason but keep this up! Maybe if I catch you online or on the discord we can have a match and you can show me some pointers?

fattyy2k likes this.
  7. fattyy2k

Gladly! It’s constantly shifting as I change and adapt to what I am encountering. It’s also likely to change once the next balance patch hits. Right now vothsairs are super prevalent so several choices are to deal with them.

next time I am online I will ping you in the discord :)

8. fattyy2k

Last night I played another game but I was tired and blood sugar low. I lost vs SP/UD vothsairs, but honestly the game wasn’t going too bad. I just want getting tilted. If I had stuck it out and been patient I think I could have fought back, but as it was I was annoyed. A lesson on patience.. when behind take it slow and play defensively. I was in a spot to do just that and it was working, but my impatience on the last 2 turns cost me 2 champs and I knew at that point I had set the game in my opponents favor.

I am thinking about adding a second manticore not for healing, but for the petrify. The CC ability to lock down a volthsair for a bit could be really useful.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  9. fattyy2k

Played against litches on old valdec. Was a win, but I never cast a single spell other than tornado (to kill a phylactery) or played a non-champ. I just kept deplying and consistently applied champ pressure.

10. fattyy2k

Had an interesting set of games. I was facing bog hoppers and lost, but was doing well until I over extended. They had some ridiculous my good turns that one shot champs due to my poor positioning.
    I faced Skeezik, UD meta, and dwarves next: tbh I have no idea why I lost to the UD. My initial reaction was they poured on way too much damage. I couldn’t keep up but if that’s the case then it must be due to my poor skill. Skeezik I could have probably Could have kept fighting, but I was not deploying right and getting too spread out in what I needed. Again I think this was another area of me needing to learn the game better.

dwarves… my #1 tilt. I react very emotionally and probably rage quit too early. They blinked my top font defender on Nora glades and I couldn’t do enough to their champs bottom. They had way better efficient than I did. I was too emotional during that game and I can’t process it properly.

heres V5 after everything
    AAAAF400-8C8F-4AB5-87DF-0EFAF6B761AE.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  11. fattyy2k

V5a is done (added back the detection).

Played a couple games against some more experienced players as we talked through deck, choices, and how I played. I learned a lot and I feel this is the most stable build so far, being reliable but still having options. It will take more games to refine my own playstyle and skills.

12. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

How do you deal with Precision on ranged Champs? It seems to counter all the Evasive and Blind you use for anti-range. Do you find you get enough defense from Desert Master/Camouflage? Personally I deal with it mainly by backing off, building up and then doing powerturns with things like Prismatic Skywing (Gravity Well) + Draconic Benediction, but I see your deck doesn't work that way.

One more question, have you considered additional forms of lockdown/control? Draksar Bookburner, Drudgery on Draksar Hunter, Battle Fatigue?

13. fattyy2k

I am now revisiting the deck after the balance patch for SL. Honestly, I feel the deck mitigates damamage through multiple debuffs. evasive/reflexes is indeed fantastic from sirrocco, but when facing that counter I usually have to focus more on target priotity and debufs. The new sandspout will help a lot by giving stealth. I will be doing new updates soon!

14. fattyy2k

So I kept losing multple battles until I changed up my deck a bit to 6.5. I am learning a lot with each loss and trying to be more patient each game.

Observations:
    • crowd control hurts this deck a lot so I felt I needed to add the banner to counter common things like charmed
    • This deck works well if you can use your own crowd control and be patient. Every game where I avoided rushing in I fared way better than the others.
    • Mobility is unconventional but powerful in this deck. Domain keeps you from being locked down while tunnel allows for great long teleports.
    • The deck has good durability, but the champs are not superchamps. Each champ is a specialized utility piece that adds to the group. Learn to layer them and dont leave things exposed. It is this that makes selecting cards difficult to fit.
    Current 6.5
    Screenshot 2023-04-11 134325.png

15. fattyy2k

Did a quick edit of +1 demonic sandclaw, -1 sandkip

Played on Kthir Forest 3-font map as top player. Deployed sand ele with option to either go mid or side font. Opponent drops a hekation going after mid. Looks like it was going to be bs a bleed deck. He end up eventually killing the sand ele but I backed off enough I got the globe. I gave up kid don’t temporarily to protect my pieces. Sandclaw was amazing as it was doing 24 damage at one point. He took a beating and was able to heal off of the blood balls. The dust devil fended off a champ with the fire shield equip trying to contest my side font. Single-handedly in one turn he killed him by just walking in circles. Brutal. The magnetize spell ate the Osirus spawning relic and dealing massive damage to a hekation, securing that font. He had tons of anti range so I just focused on my sandclaw and used the Wylder ability to give him stun.

gonna keep playing, but I love the Wylder. I am tempted to take out the sand hunter, but the sand front is important I think… more games will help me determine

16. fattyy2k

Gotten several more games in. Most recent two were vs litches and then vs trees.

dustdevil is amazing and likely gonna get nerfed. He does a ton of damage.
    Skeezik Wylder continues to surprise me with usefulness.
    Demonic Sandclaw has been mvp beater and clad I changed to x2.
    Dunewalker is sticking with tunnel on himself. Makes him a great 3rd-4th deploy and he can catch up fairly quick
    1x sandkip seems enough so reducing that down. Working to find a spot for another sandstalker lord. Maybe take out the sand ele? I am stubborn…

Now for the heresy… after a discussion about things, I am running the experiment if not including the banner and instead bringing the sand generator. This might be a mistake but hey.. nothing gets done without some innovation.

17. fattyy2k

I have had a handful of matchups including both wins and losses. Again losses feel like I am just playing bad. FW is for sure one of our worst matchups with the LoL attacks from things like elsarin reaper. Have to play far more cautious and utilize our range defenses. (I lost that game btw). Several times I miscalculated and moved into the wrong positions and both those games I was punished for it ending in losses.

So now in V7 I have made a couple changed that I have been very surprised by their performance.
    runes.png
    I took out sand ele as i was facing far too much def hate to make him relevant. In his role the sand hunter or the imperator fill. Imperator fills a mid-range sand support with mid-range stats and the sand hunter is a mid-range attacker who also spawns sand. I have yet to get full value out of the imperator, but I am sticking with it for now.
    I took out the Doombringer as I just wasnt utilizing him, but I think he is still a very good rune with flying and punish. I find he is map dependent. In his place I put a second sandstalker lord and I have been liking the greater reliability.
    I dropped the dragon gods staff as it ended up too unwieldy for the way i want to play the BG. In its spot I decided to try out the serpentor scale armor. It preformed greater than I anticipated and is ideal for the sandstalker lords. It bumps him to 3 Def before Desert Master and all of the sudden he is tearing through enemies with Zeal: Speed. This leaves the mantle for the demonic sandclaws.

At this point, my prefered ranged champ is the wylder. The ability to grant stun+magic type to a damage dealer/front liner has altered many games into a win.

Now for the greatest heresy of all...... I took out the banner... I know, "how could you?" "Are you stupid?" well, maybe, but after discussions about wanting to change their abilities (no where near now mind you) I decided to try playing without one and put in a sand generator instead. This has actually proven useful. Often the banners get either dropped into a font to contest or played in a back font. I decided to instead use the generator for the font contesting, and it has enabled several things such as remove font fights with skirmishers using sand (demonic sandclaw, mantid tracker), an instant sand drop to tunnel to that the opponent must deal with or I get free sand everywhere. Overall, I am happy with the performance.

My biggest issue is stuff that ignores Def. Things like illuminate, strike, and soulstrike. I am still learning how best to counter those opponents. I might just have to accept those will hurt my BG the most and it will be a very rough game.

The one thing that just is underperforming in Cancel.. I keep using it and it is only going off about 1/2 the time... I still want to have the effect, but honestly I am a little disappointed and thinking of finding a better slot option.

I seem to be running into multiple decks using fear and fascinate so the legion standard has been clutch.

Anyways, onward to more games! Yay rank reset!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  18. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

I made no secret out of my hatred for the bad design of warbanners because they reduce the amount of choices you get to make when building a deck. If you ignore them for just a second, you find you can fit in lots of cool stuff, like Sand Generator. I hope you have fun with it!

I'm not saying you should replace Legion Standard, but I'm reminding you the Fault Marker relic has some overlap (with Bastion of Courage) and it's other effect I expect is nice in sand, since sand likes to make everything feel exhausting to fight.

I swapped out Cancel Magic for Scapegoat and have not regretted it. It can catch single targets like Essence Drain/Soul Bane/Hammer Strike, but also opponent self buffs like Righteous Deflection and it can redirect AoE spells to some regenerating unit farther from main cluster (bonus points for redirecting Tornado).

For stuff that ignores defense, there's solutions but you might not like them. Draksar Legionnaire with Enduring Aura and battle Fatigue. Or the aforementioned Fault Marker.

19. fattyy2k

I have considered it, but the immunities granted from iron will are the major reason I use it. It is a tech rune. I could remove it for something more reliable, and I might, but so often those abilities shut me down in their CC and I have no other way to counter them.

As for stuff that ignores def, I think I just need to learn to outplay those better as (except for illuminate) they are often not going to be excessive in a BG.

20. fattyy2k

Ran into a few more decks mainly IS/UD intimidate deck and Tortuns. I needed to change up my deck after the toruns as I just wasnt getting the reliability to match their deploys. I need to play more patiently.

V8 was born going back to the 2x method of deckbuilding consitency. I want scorpion or sandstalker lord as my contesting tank, either wylder or sandsnipe as my ranged damage, and them splatter supports as able.