Owl Points - Increased Exotic/Leg odds?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fikule, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I mean you want earning gold to be hard work.

Isn't gold meant to be a product of playing the game and having fun? How is that hard work?

It is just time invested. If you are finding that earning gold is hard work, then I imagine the game has become less fun, a grind, a "farming" process.

2. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Well whatever the sale is, i dont think the extra stuff should be permanent but on special days.

3. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

I never said that.

4. Kampel

You know i didn't use the "Hard Work" as that...

5. Fikule

But you said "farming is hard" work when I said " I doubt DOG are looking to make playing their game "hard work"."

That sort of implies that you expect the game to include farming.

6. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

I like this idea a lot, gives a good incentive to spend money. I can see people spending money on expansions only otherwise.

7. Fikule

Which is why I said I understood the "time" portion. I am more on about "farming" gold as hard work. But I don't think DOG wants to have people farming content to earn gold. I am guessing they want gold to be a product of just playing and having fun.

Short version, I think:

Owl Points = Resource purchased for real money

Gold = Bi-product of fun

8. Kampel

For the F2P, gold is what get them runes and its one of their motivations to play all the content on PoxNora (rank, fun, friends, drums of war are the others), for the ppl that buy Owlys, gold is just a reward for playing the game that saves them $ from time to time when they get enough.
    So i agree, farming gold is not hard work, is a reward for having fun.

As for the main theme of this thopic, i don't think the extra luck on Owly-bought packs should be permanent but only on special days to avoid breaking rune economy making the Legendarys too common.

9. Fikule

I can understand the premise of legendaries becoming too common. But the odds stated in the initial post are not set in stone. Someone suggested that it might be just a 5% increase in odds.

Right now there is no new baseline for how common a legendary is. How much a 5% increase from paid boxes would affect anything though is probably negligible. Though I agree that my initial odds were probably a bit crazy.

10. ZWindKami

ZWindKami The King of Potatoes

I'm actually tire of facing incompetent players that use a full deck of legendaries and exo runes and they still loses. The problem is they didn't earn the skill required to wield those runes through hard work but simply buy their way into having those runes. I'm against increasing the percent rate of obtaining legendary or exo runes. I don't mind the idea of Owl giving double or triple credit buy due to holiday or some sort of celebrations (they need to support the server with our help as well). There is a very delicate balance between free to play and buy to play in all type of games if we ever want to have some real fun.

Morfeas likes this.
  11. Morfeas

This man gets it.
    There are farmers.
    There are wallet warriors.
    There are casuals.
    But they ain't no Lucky Lukes here.

12. Fikule

Doesn't triple credit then just equate to triple the odds while also receiving triple the runes at no additional cost? Not complaining, just saying odds wise, they're increased.

13. Fikule

So why not just say you don't like systems based on luck? Although every purchase is luck when all odds are even. Increasing odds with money purchase would mean it's less about luck.

Although I appreciate that's not what you're getting at. You dislike money reducing odds.

But a "Wallet Warrior" is going to get all the runes he needs regardless of cost or odds.

The "Farmer" is going to get all the runes he needs due to his ability to grind all day and find I assume find it fun.

I suppose it's the casual player that's out of luck. No bonus for his purchase, gold income regulated due to farmers. Any idea how the casual player can be competitive?
    I am of course assuming that a casual player has an interest in all aspects of the game but is limited in terms of time and money.

14. Morfeas

???????????????????????????????????

15. Fikule

I am guessing you misunderstand luck compared to odds?

10% chance of exo = 1 in 10.

If we hypothetically said a money purchase gave
    100% chance of exo, that's 1 in 1.

Which of these purchases is influenced the most by luck?

At this point I am guessing you are just arguing for the sake of it. Although question marks aren't an argument I guess.

16. Morfeas

My dear child, anything that is not 100% or 0% is based on "luck" on equal amounts.

17. Fikule

so change it to 99%.

If he gets 99 exos in 100 packs, is he "luckier" than the other guy who got 1 in 10 from a gold pack?

Luck implies that both people had the same odds and one person gained more by being luckier.

This is odds, not luck.

18. Morfeas

Let me put it this way:

Someone farms gold and buys X Leggies. 0 luck involed.
    Someone opens Y packs with 10% chance and gets X Leggies. N amount of luck involved.
    Someone opens Y packs with 99% chance and gets Z Leggies. N amount of luck involved.
    Someone buys Owl coins and gets X Leggies with them. 0 luck involved.
    Someone buys triple the Owl coins thanks to weekend sale and gets Z Leggies with them. 0 luck involved.

19. ZWindKami

ZWindKami The King of Potatoes

Let's have a lesson in statistics based on this scenario:
    1) All event purchases are independent of each other
    2) Buy 1 pack that has 10% chance exo and 5% chance legendary
    3) Buy 2 more pack that has 10% chance exo and 5% chance legendary
    4) Does NOT mean you get 30% chance of obtaining exo and 15% chance of obtaining legendary
    5) Every time you buy a pack, that chance stays at 10% exo and 5% legendary
    6) It is a bit odd and counter intuitive if you consider not getting at least 1 exo after buying 10 pack, but that's quite normal
    7) Fact of the matter, if you buy only 3 packs and already got 1 exo. You're quite lucky

20. Fikule

Well, I don't consider 99% to require the same amount of luck as 10%. But that's your preference I suppose.

What confuses me is this:
    So purchasing a single pack and opening it has N luck.
    But purchasing 3 packs and opening them does not involve luck?