The Pox Nora Spotlight. This week a farewell to BansheeX

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

This week's Spotlight is a a bit more solemn than some of the previous ones because we are this is more a farewell than an introduction.

BansheeX, a long time Pox Player and a very active community member is moving on. As all of us know all too well gaming is a very time intensive hobbie, and sometimes as part of life certain sacrifices need to be made for maintaining balance. BansheeX may be moving on but her legacy will continue. The Community Spotlight is being handed to darklord48 with BansheeX's full endorsement.

Enough of my blabbing, lets get to BansheeX's final words.

Name:
    Lone Andersen aka BansheeX. My old ex nicknamed me Banshee and it seemed a fitting username here since I took over a collection of Undead runes. It was unfortunately taken so since the ex named me I added the X at the end to make it work.

Denmark. Its a small Scandinavian country. Our winters are cold and wet, with occasional snow. Our summers are slightly warmer and wet with occasional sunshine ;) Its a nice and cozy place to live.

Prison Guard/ Correctional Officer. My areas of expertise is Drug counseling and Riot control.

38 years. Turning 40 is closer and closer, scary.

How did you come across Pox Nora?
    A former coworker and friend used to play Pox Nora on a laptop when he had night shifts. I thought it looked funny and when he said that he was about to quit the game we made an arrangement for me to borrow his runes to see if I liked the game. I ended up buying his collection after I got hooked :)

How long have you played Pox Nora?
    4 years. (Where did they go???)

Favorite Faction & why?
    Forsaken Wastes and the Stitched (I know it´s not a faction but it feels like its own entity) It came naturally since I took over a complete FW collection. I have always been interested in Fantasy and mythology, and the dark lore around the undead has always been a fetish of mine. I also enjoy the long attrition style of the faction and my favorite games has been the ones that exceed the 1 hour mark. 10 turn games feels to much like a quicky for me.

Favorite part of Pox Nora and why?
    The complexity and diversity. There are endless options and themes to try out and fiddle with. Spending an hour in the Rune Manager to build a BG, trying to make the puzzle complete and making it just right, then seeing it pay off in a game is a very satisfying feeling. The community as well. People where really friendly when I started out and despite the occasional troll i think the community for the most part consist of nice people.

What is your best tip to give to new players?
    Use the forum! If you ask nicely there are lots of talented, kind people that will go out of their way to help you. Don't be afraid to fail and don't be scared off by the complexity. Pox Nora is HARD to learn, it has a steep level of entry but once you get the hang of it, it has so much fun and diversity to offer.
    Try asking new and old players alike to take some unranked games with and raise the time to 2:30. It will give you time to ask questions and read up on runes during the opponents turn.

What is/are your favorite Memory/Memories of Pox Nora?
    My most memorable games is a FW mirror match against TinyDragon which lasted over an hour. We had nearly identical BG´s and was fighting on the 3 font Lost city map. The game was really back and forth and at the end of each turn it felt like he/I had the upper hand. In the end the game was decided by one of the small differences in our BG´s. I had included a Reapers Blade, a rune TinyDragon concidered obsolute, when my preassure at his shrine forced him to transfigure I equipped it and that decided the game. Tinys final words where: Who use Reapers Blade?

Another fond memory was the Ironman broadcast Krebmart and BurnPyro held a while back in the dying days of SoE. I played 3 different opponents back to back using 3 different FW BG´s against DevilsRath, MadHobbit2 and Iajabmaka. Those 3 matches was a lot of fun as well.

What have you most want to see that has happened to Pox Nora?
    Someone saving the game when SoE canned it. I don't want to badmouth SoE to much, but they way they handled Pox Nora in the end was disgracefull. DoG stepping in and rebuying the game was a huge improvement. I am confident you guys will do much better :)

What would you still like to see happen Pox Nora?
    A bigger player-base naturally .I think it is so great a game that it deserves a huge following. I am confident that once the revamp is in a little more stable place it will be able to attract and keep a lot of players. The game, the players and the devs deserves it :)

Why do you want to no-longer play Pox Nora?
    It´s a very personal and emotional decision. A detailed answer is here: http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/saying-goodbye-is-hard-to-do.5198/

Do you see yourself coming back for any reason?
    I dont think so. See the above link for why.

Who would you like to see fulfill your role within the community and or Spotlight Host?
    Another die hard FW Zealot and Pox Nora fan ;) darklord48 has asked me if he could continue the Spotlights and I cant´see why not :) In FW I am hoping people like Yobanchi, Mercer Skye, MadHobbit2 and Shimaru will continue to post their constructive and well phrased posts. They have been a huge inspiration and wonderful sparring partners/friends in the game.

Hobbies?
    I love to read. Mostly the Fantasy genre but I am not picky. Backgammon has been a passion of mine for years and I used to play it for money in shady bars. At one point it more than paid for my obsession with shoes. I am also fond of Yoga and I have recently taken up running and like it a lot.

Any other individual interests you'd like to share with the community about yourself?
    I´m married to a wonderful and supporting husband and have a daughter in kindergarten. I love to cook, it´s not a hobby per see, but it´s a nice way to relax and devouring the result is always a pleasure.

To individual interest, I am a die hard Heavy Metal fan. Old school style like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Manowar.

Do you have any Parting Words?
    Be good to each other and welcoming to the new players. The game need new blood as well as the old guard so give them a nice and friendly welcome :) I have had 4 good years with you people and I hope you all will have many more great years of Pox Nora gaming.

BansheeX, Good Luck and best wishes. We do hope to see you again if life's circumstances ever change.

Link to the archive of previous Spotlights and request list:
    http://forums.poxnora.desertowlgame...-nora-spotlight-archive-and-requestlist.2387/

2. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Live a nice life.

3. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

You will be missed, banshee.
    Your screams will forever echo your greatness in the pox community
    <3

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I think it's all been said, so I'll just leave you with the refrain to my favorite Iron Maiden song. I think it is fitting for an FW player.

There's a time to live and a time to die
    When it's time to meet the maker
    There's time to live but isn't it strange
    That as soon as you're born you're dying

5. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Sad to see a vet go, but I guess life trumps computer (for some reason). You will be missed!

6. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

Bye, Banshee. Hope you enjoyed your time in NWO a while back.

7. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Take care.

8. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Die well

9. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Now I don't have to dodge bansheeX anymore! Hurray, jokes aside it's hard to see such veterans leave the game but it happens, with that said. Enjoy the world banshee your name will be forever be in the hall of fame :)

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

All in favor of working BansheeX into the Blood Banshee flavor text? Maybe something about a "Lone Banshee"

BansheeX, Etherielin, Nemorga and 4 others like this.
  11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

After being betrayed by Xulos, Serkan setup a prison where no magic would work. A Lone Banshee roamed the halls keeping order.

BansheeX and Kampel like this.
  12. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

You are the reason I love small gaming communities. It's personal, involving and at times emotional.

13. claydude5

claydude5 The King of Potatoes

Wait, Banshee was a girl all these years?

Faust and jeeperz2 like this.
  14. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Another one bites the dust hope everything goes well in life but you will be back.. They always come back!

15. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

I am glad I got to play against you at least once. ;-; Very sad to see a fellow Scandinavian player leave. I hope everything will go well for you in the future.

Rokkushun likes this.
  16. RedCourage

RedCourage The King of Potatoes

17. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

And in the wastes of a forgotten God a man weeps
    Less a man now for loss of a good friend
    Less a man now for loss of a kind soul
    Less a man now for loss of a better person than he

But hopeful, that strong in his vigil can he be
    Strength gained from memories of the lost
    Hope shining in the dark as the paths part
    For the lost are not gone
    If they are not forgotten

You will be missed dearly Mrs. Anderson, and you will never be forgotten.

Trestia and darklord48 like this.
  18. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Banshee your a nice person. Good luck with your life. Bye.

Senshu likes this.
  19. Intweener

Intweener I need me some PIE!

Thanks for everything you have offered us BansheeX. Enjoy your future :)

Senshu likes this.
  20. Nemorga

Nemorga I need me some PIE!

From a FWer to another, live long and prosper ;)

Senshu likes this.