A Guide to Spiders

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Authyrtyr, Mar 16, 2014.

1. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think the original post is a little out of date, phase spider got several collateral nerfs and isn't that good now, so I wouldn't go out of your way to get them.

An ideal spider deck would have 2x void spiders - but the void spiders are easily substituted for other spiders without losing much power.

Your deck looks good btw, though you might consider losing a champ for mindslicer boomerang.

SPiEkY likes this.
  2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Yeah, I felt it was getting to that time as well. The condition I dictated for this to remain a sticky was for it to be kept up-to-date. @Authyrtyr Get it back to standards please. This is a lovely guide mate.

3. Ramymanify

Ramymanify The King of Potatoes

Ok I haven't got Mind slicer Boomerang, I have the Obelisk though, is it ok to substitute it ?
    I added another SoulCrawler, Nightfall, and 2 Rust demons
    another question is are two Arachnabalaes too much, I'm thinking of dropping one for another Demon shield

What do you think,
    thanks in advance

4. badgerale

I think it is important to keep to 14-16 champs, so don't overload on them.

I only run one arachnablade personally, but there is nothing wrong with running two if you like them.

If you don't have boomerang I would go with a fireblast as it is our most versatile damage spell. Obalisk would hamper your range attacks too much, I like breath of ash for anti range but perhaps just play around with different options and see what you enjoy most.

5. Ramymanify

Ramymanify The King of Potatoes

So I shouldn't go above 16 champs hmmm ?
    well I got no high end cards, so I'll tinker around with what I got and see if I can compete,
    Mindslicer works for 4+ ranged champs right, I got no champ with that range in my BG, besides Multi attacks helps a bit
    so far this is an anti range spider deck, need to have something to work vs AOE though like Maddening echoes or Fireblast or the like, thinking of Masochism, but still don;t have it :D

What do you think,
    Thanks in advance

6. badgerale

I thought demonbarb still had 1-4, my bad. It does effect your entangle ability but that's not such a big deal so you should be ok.

Masochism is an excellent rune.

7. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Demonbarb used to be RNG:1-5 but it got nerfed. Although it's not all bad since now the Obelisk is all up side.

@Ramymanify I would recommend not going above 16 champs if you can avoid it.

8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

These types of threads are super helpful for me, particularly for future development of themes.

9. Authyrtyr

Allow me to take this opportunity to state once again that we should please un-nerf phase spider. Nerfs to AA have not been kind to Phase Spider and he's presently kind of unrunnable.

Sphere8274 likes this.
  10. Authyrtyr

@IMAGIRL It's updated. Please re-sticky

11. junithorn

junithorn I need me some PIE!

As someone who used to play only spiders 90% of the time before the revamp, I'm really sad.

THE GOOD

Bloodletter - Still pretty decent, losing res phys sucks though.

Broodmother - Went from 5 spd lumbering to 6 spd but lost leap 3. Her cost went way up and her usefulness went down a bit. Cant have surge and deathspawn, she still can hold her own.

Hell Tick - Lost both vulnerabilities, the only downside is choosing between siphon and absorb. Almost miss the vulns for how expensive it is now. (71?!?)

Nightfall - Let's be honest, nightfall was insanely OP. That said; losing windstriker, losing speed totally fair. Being forced to take cloak is pretty lame.

Soulcrawler - Was one of my favourite runes, went from 2-4 to 1-3, lost soul vitality. I think his new kit is awkward, at 39hp he's really squisy being forced into melee. Beforehand it was a great hit and run ranged option gaining AP from vitality.

Trap Spider - Actually a great change, was 80+ nora before and now with vulnerable at 66 nora he can be really useful.

Weaver - Almost no change, still a good utility option.

THE BAD

Void Spider - Poor guy, hit really hard. Went from 65 to 75 nora and lost phase shift, lost spd, and is now forced to take a choice of 3 ranks of what I think is the worst ability in the game(reflection).

Albino Katipo - Has never been good, way too gimmicky imo.

Phase Spider - This guy was so much fun pre-revamp, having to choose between teleport and cocoon now is probably the harshest part. Pretty much murdered by his change, was a staple before.

Cinderpede - Absolutely my favourite rune in arthro UD, has been cut down to 5 spd when not on lava, forced to take tunnel: lava, lost range, gained cost. Really tragic, make tunnel: lava not mandatory.

Demonbarb - Dragging attack was kind of fun with 1-5 range, forced to take damage shield is awkward.

Mass Web - Compare it to psychic blast, costs more does less, has never been run.

Defend the nest - like throwing away 30 nora.

Spinner's Greaves - Klzick shouldnt spend AP on pull, no one wants weave web from an equip.

Gnomes and Sphere8274 like this.
  12. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

When playing against spiders I always hope the opponent does NOT cast it. Sure they spawn at the shrine, but enevitably (with a good player) the waves of spiderlings will be hella annoying.

13. badgerale

Bear in mind that everything else was nerfed too, the relative power of spiders is pretty good.

14. Authyrtyr

Um... Broodmother is broken as hell now and PtN is the best rune in the whole theme.

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

For real. Protect the Nest needs a nerf, to be honest, it's that good.

16. Authyrtyr

PtN should probably cost at least 35 maybe 40 nora. It's ridiculously powerful. And this a huge Spider fan talking. As evidenced by the guide that I wrote

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. Darkorona

Darkorona The King of Potatoes

PtN is so good that if I could run Klzick, Demon Shield and 18 PtN I would do it definitely.

18. Authyrtyr

You need 30 runes. Also, don't forget mark of sheoul

19. Sphere8274

Sphere8274 The King of Potatoes

It is strong as many summons runes (and have worse stats). It isn't even meta and not used out of spider decks for cnc. With the last whole cnc nora increase, I think they got hit enough

20. Authyrtyr

CnC doesn't matter. It's good bc it's 30 nora for 120 hp.

IMAGIRL and SPiEkY like this.