A Guide to Spiders

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Authyrtyr, Mar 16, 2014.

1. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

and tons of easy surge

2. Sphere8274

Sphere8274 The King of Potatoes

Then why it isn't so popular outside spider decks?

3. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

no synergism, no room, micromanagement and possible drawbacks (unholy tomb, ravenspeaker)

Authyrtyr, IMAGIRL and SPiEkY like this.
  4. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Just because something is powerful doesn't mean that people will decide to run it. Something being meta doesn't equate to that thing being the most powerful option available. Before I wrote this guide I had arguments with people about how spiders should be run. I argued that it should be played as an attrition deck as opposed to the traditional aggressive strategy that often defines UD. Everyone I mentioned it to with only a few exceptions told me I was wrong and that PtN wasn't a good rune. Then I wrote this guide and suddenly I start seeing complaints on the forums about how spiderlings are OP. Maybe it's arrogant to draw a connection or maybe I'm misinterpreting what I read. My point is that sometimes people will overlook a perfectly competitive strategy because it doesn't line up with their expectations or because they don't see top players playing it and so they assume that it must not be good enough. The same applies to individual cards.

Sphere8274 and IMAGIRL like this.
  5. Sphere8274

By your spider knowldedge, you agree that spider deck overall need more buff than nerf since the global runes rework has hit hard most of runes like soulcrawler, demonbarb and the poor phase spider? Since ptn is exclusive only in this deck right now, his "opnesss" have to be determined in conjuction with the whole theme

6. Authyrtyr

Of course it does. It's all about context. It's certainly better in spiders. Overall I think that most spiders are fine. Soulcrawler is still a very solid rune and demonbarb is as well. If you look anywhere you can probably find my protests asking the devs to redo phase spider. At this point I don't think a buff will cut it. He needs to move away from Corporeal Form as an ability or they need to put it back where it was and nerf AA properly.

7. Sphere8274

Sure, I was the first to subscrive your "denounce" about phase spider suffering every fix of AA :). Anyway I find hard to consider solid an unit with 39 hp and 0 def....

8. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I'm gonna say that you're looking at the wrong parts of him

9. Ujelly

Ujelly I need me some PIE!

I been having probs with spiders bro! To squishy takes spells in the face and no nora gen......

10. junithorn

junithorn I need me some PIE!

FF UD spiders is my favourite deck, that said; it's terrible right now.

11. Authyrtyr

What? Why is it terrible? What problems are you running into? Spiders shouldn't be too squishy, again PtN is very HP efficient and we've got a few solid tanks in the demon/spiders that you can demon shield. Last I checked Broodmother is terrifyingly tanky and Kl'zik is a pain to deal with too if you give her demon shield.

12. Ramymanify

Ramymanify The King of Potatoes

People can shatter or corrode demon shield, I run it still, but I do not think it is ultimately efficient,
    even if the shield stands, people will get into kl'zik's face and wreck her unless u have Bane Shift tons of spiders,
    also spiders lose to swarm BGs for obvious reasons

I'm missing a phase spider, but this is my current spider BG, it works sometimes, heh ..
    https://poxbase.com/deck/CkGC5MCw=cuXc3VcfXcuTC5yCqqcqys5zs4@s2ls2Hs7ds6lS1FsOsDrArFe1UEN

By the way, Kl'zik's Flavor text is a mangled mess
    what is up with that !!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  13. Authyrtyr

Even if you count out Demon Shield (which you shouldn't) you still have; Mindslicer Obelisk, Breath of Ash, Cowards' Reach, Nightfall Spider and Masochism. Obviously it's possible for your opponent to walk up to you, attack and kill your units but that's true with any strategy (except abusive superchamp BGs, that's why we don't like them). More than most the build I have put forward has ALOT of counterplay for fighting range, it's one of UDs strengths. I'll be honest with you guys, it takes a bit of skill to pilot a BG properly, it took me at least a year of playing this BG before I was winning any games with it at all.

14. Authyrtyr

Demon shield is super cheap, it's only 25 nora. It's most certainly efficient. There are not equip answers besides a shatter champ that's already there that cost less than 25 nora. Secondly, the deck gets **** tons of spiders. That's the entire point of the deck. I concede that swarm is rough to fight, I still have trouble with that BS. Don't worry about missing phase spider, unfortunately he's bad right now. And seriously, how are you losing any games with 2 Paingels in your BG......

15. Ramymanify

Ramymanify The King of Potatoes

It's because I do not know how to utilize them correctly as of yet

16. Authyrtyr

I'm kidding, it's all good. Paingel really shines in my experience when she's played on the first turn and you can get a lot of value out of escalation.

17. Ujelly

Ujelly I need me some PIE!

Can someone play this in limited please. I can't make it work for Bane Shift lol. Send me a msg in game and I'll spectate :)

18. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I'll be attempting to play spiders for rank (at least at first) when the midterm hits, so we'll see how that goes.

19. junithorn

junithorn I need me some PIE!

Again, I played spiders in top 10 pre nerfs, you can't anymore. I'm really really hoping for some good news tomorrow.

20. Authyrtyr

Yeah, I can't speak for limited ranks. I don't try to play that high. The last time I played with them was before the revamp and I played them up to rare or exo league I think. I can't rightly remember it's been so long.