Abominable - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by Pedeguerra, Dec 18, 2015.

?

Do you like Abominable as a racial for yetis?

Poll closed Dec 28, 2015.
  1. Yes, I like it because I feel its both powerful and flavorful.

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. No, I dislike it because I feel its pretty weak and situational.

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

This is the basis of my Yeti BG; it's like this because I decided to put all that's absolutely necessary for the BG to work - you'll certainly put Gale, Icestorm and so on, but I'll leave it to your own discretion - and I don't recommend changing anything there, those runes got their place after a lot of testing, and were compared with other runes that aren't in it( yes I even tried Avalancher).

My BG has 15 champions. One may ask "But uncle Loosh only 15"? "Made to die yetis are not", my answer would be. They have a LOT of healing, cleanse, powerful debuffs... And Abominable of course.

My suggestion for last champion(s) would be either 2x Wailing Yeti or 1 Wailing Yeti and 1 Yeti Sorcerer. This BG already has a lot of range, but Sorcerer is a very handy champion with Snowstrike so I'll leave it to you.

One might ask: "WTFirk uncle Loosh u noob y no Icelord and cub"? Because yetis have stronger options for melee - trust me, Icelord isn't as reliable as he seems - and they're very cheap now. Those who have seen me playing( even when I make tons of mistakes) will surely see how powerful Yeti Ancient is when(if) correctly used.

This BG relies a bit too strongly on debuffs, so intensive cleansing might be annoying( that's why I included Swap, Valdac don't hurt me no more) as you need the fear to stay there should you decide to dive in for a kill.

I haven't explained the BG thoroughly because that would end up in a huge wall of text, but feel free to ask anything.

2. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

The thing that I don't understand about Yeti BGs is why Risen Yeti is so frequently ignored. Is it because people just jump to the letter Y and forget about the poor creature or is there actually something wrong with the thing? I mean, I don't have any game experience with it but it looks very solid on paper for its ~61n price tag.

3. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

He doesn't have abominable (so he doesn't get bonus damage and can't put the debuff on enemies) and most people i've seen playing yetis use icelord and ancient, which are both 2x2 already.

4. Lushiris

Because he's another melee yeti. His aura isn't bad, but it makes him little more than a bruiser. He lacks enough survivability as a main tank, unless you plan on building a BG filled with melee yetis( not really a bad idea, but post-buff ranged yetis kind of make it pointless). There's also the fact that he's another large champion, which may make positioning a grueling task.

In my opinion Yeti Ancient, Apostate, Wailing Yeti, Icelord and even cub are better options than him(I only run the first 3 though), because they bring more than meat and damage to the board. The Aura is cool but in a Yeti BG it's just a poor man's Dread. However, you can use him with Icelord for an Unspeakable rain, it is a good strategy but again, you'd have too many large melees.

5. DissolvingBonds

DissolvingBonds The King of Potatoes

6. ButterFaceGirl

ButterFaceGirl Active Member

Why do you not like icelord?

7. ButterFaceGirl

oh and why the apostate? do you just use him against protectorate?

8. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

He's amazing against prot (2hits almost anything by himself, easy to do with hideout, and then he is hard to kill because of 30% reduction). Ontop of that, he's quite fine vs Wrath. Simply having reinforce (or initiative) can make a champ playable

9. Lushiris

I only deploy him against wrath when I can make use of Reinforcement to reach an objective( font or battle) faster, Reinforcement + Howl to kill/slightly disable something or just need meat and don't have other available melee. He's auto deploy against Protectorate though.

10. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

So, let me get this right.

A guy famed for not playing suggests a buff and nerf
    Sok agrees to a buff but not the nerf
    Guy then plays the game and realises (hopefully) that suggesting changes to things without playing them is a bad idea and the design is fine

@Sokolov I know @Pedeguerra knows his stuff (when he plays) but isn't it dangerous to take buff advice from an inactive player?

11. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

My game knowledge hasn't really changed at all in all these years and the main point still stands that the "stealth counter component" could go because its a sandbag most of the time.
    The thing you have to realize, @Atherhog , is that once you reach a certain point of skill/knowledge in Pox, you can go on months without it and still be on top of the game. This game core mechanics havent changed at all, just the champs.
    I guess you cant really grasp this with your limited knowledge on the game, but good try nonetheless.

12. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Didn't you admit to getting it wrong?

Also, I wasn't rude about you... I simply pointed out that when you played with Yeti - you changed your mind... That actually happened.

So no real need to be rude to me.

Listen again to the facts:

You made a nerf call
    You played
    You realised you were wrong

Conclusion: You may know the game (as I actually stated) but nerf calling without playing leads to mistakes (as you actually demonstrated)

Alakhami likes this.
  13. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Ok, sorry if I was rude then, I was under the impression you were attacking me.
    Either way, yes, it is very bad to nerf call stuff without playing it, I avoid it to my best if I can. I just never liked Abominable in general because: the stealth component is really bad and we could live without it; I thought only the attacking champion got the bonus DMG, which would make it iffy.
    Yes, I made an analysis mistake regarding how the ability worked - my bad.
    However, a point still stands that it could have the stealth part removed.

14. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Basically he's saying that his mistake is based on the fact that he wasn't aware of how specifically the abillity worked. But then again, that just proves your point that you have to play the game to atleast see how the game mechanics work before making buff/nerf evaluations.

15. Lushiris

I love the Abominable's anti-stealth, probably even more than the damage bonus. But do you want it nerfed because you don't like it( a reason as good as many), because you want Abominable to cost 1 AP or because you think it's too strong?

16. ButterFaceGirl

yetis are weak because of lack of good ranged options. ranged yetis need to be buffed.

17. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

MW24's alt confirmed.

18. Lushiris

The ranged yetis are actually amazing right now, and I mean all of them(personally I'm not fond of Keeper of Memories, but most other people do well with him so). I can analyze each one of them if you require further insight.

19. ButterFaceGirl

can you analyse all of them?

20. Lushiris

Keeper of Memories: His high nora cost is due to his charge abilities and his 2 def( which is very uncommon for a ranged champion). However it is common sense to make a champion with such a powerful ability as Unleash Memories not so efficient. If you can hold on long enough to get those 40 nora, he's totally worth it.

Yeti Druid: He has 3 basic uses: Cleansing everything( not sure why some people don't run cleansing aura, still totally worth it at 77 nora), Crystallizing an ally(or himself) to contest a font for an extra turn, and yea, he has solid range and 9 damage means nothing with abominable. Divert is just the topping, with practice it is amazing.

Yeti Painter: He deals fairly decent ranged damage, but his main feature is Commander(no point to run Augment in a Yeti BG, it's an efficiency loss) and the fact that he has Abash, being a frequently sought target - Distract is cool, but being able to keep Painter alive is worth a lot more IMO. And with proper planning, he can shut down an enemy ranged champion with Psychic Compulsion(use it on a ranged champion and engage it with your melee, done) .

Yeti Shaman: Incredibly underestimated. What people don't get about this guy is that despite his low range, he means Stun in ST( which IMHO is a spectacularly huge deal). He is either a support with his healing, a moderate damage dealer with his 2-4 range, or a monster game winner with Swap + Imbue Stun. This combo has literally won me games, as few people actually expect it( despite not being such an unexpected move). He makes people wary of engaging Yetis, and that's what Yetis need.

Yeti Sorcerer: I don't use her, but that's totally a matter of preference, as I prefer having easier melee drawsdue to my own playstyle. That however, doesn't change the fact that she is a very annoying champion to face. With Magic Blast and Snow Strike, she can stall your enemies while dealing considerable damage, and that's her main role - unlike Shaman and druid who have to spend AP to support - so she can consistently punish your foes. And yea, she's pretty efficient given you keep her protected.

I think that's it, feel free to ask anything.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016