Bad Vids rebooted

Discussion in 'Videos' started by MrBadguy, May 22, 2017.

1. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

I guess this means you should experiment with different video formats then because this style of video wouldn't appeal so much to myself. I feel like I have a fairly solid grasp of the game at this point and don't need micro-play aspects of the game to be highlighted such as one or two turns, rather im more interested in seeing (and improving my own) macro play (the overarching style or gameplan/strategy of a particular set of themes/BGs etc.).

For those less experienced/seeking easily consumed information out of these games, rather than purely for entertainment out of seeing two top players vs each other for the hundredth time and potentially learning only zero or one new thing out of the video, I can see why the aforementioned format is more appealing.

Edit: as sort of touched on above this is sort of beginner-intermediate stuff. Play by play match commentary is more up to the viewer to dissect often and even the raw footage is probably higher level stuff.

I do think lower skill level content is where you should focus your time though now I think of it. There are more new players than vets in this game, and we could always just spectate the matches in game when possible instead.

2. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

I find achieving 2k+ (or top 40 at basically any point in this games history) to be completely effortless, so i'm probably above the 'intermediate' level too, but I would still enjoy hearing someone elses take. If well edited and a 10 minute video i'd watch it for no other reason than to support pox content creation. I've seen many, many, many pox content creators put up 30 min+ videos of pox replays with commentary on, a lot of which is rarely insightful (mostly because it's not scripted / rehearsed / whatever) and, meaning no offence to those people, would rather stab myself in the **** than watch a single one of those.

Also I guess some people have different strengths - maybe I consider myself a strong macro player but weaker on the individual turns.

Again, if he did want to do a macro focused video would an entire start-to-end game of pox be the best way to put across his insight on that subject, or a more edited video where the point is outlined, then examples of putting it into place were shown (eg you could show a clip where you do not take the 'obvious' (to vets) *because* of the deck you are playing)

Being honest any content coming out for pox should definitely cater to lower tiers anyway, could anyone else put a video out that tiny could learn from, for example? Furthermore, could tiny put out a video that us other vets could learn loads from? Probably not. Tiny rarely surprises me with what he does, he's just incredibly clean. Probably helped by result of thousands of hours of practice and matchup knowledge.

Hierokliff likes this.
  3. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

I have more time this week so I'll start recording the first tutorial on what runes are when I get home from work. Not sure when it'll be up but I'll also begin scripting other videos (never done this before but my improv is bad so I figured this would help). I'm shooting for something like a minimum of 3 videos a week starting next week. If you have any requests I might be able to do in-between, just leave them here.

4. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Here's a draft of the first vid. Haven't really finished the audio parts 100% and I still gotta decide on a new channel name, come up with a logo and perhaps even an animated video intro but I'm leaving this unpublished to get some feedback before I go ahead and do my other 3 videos on runes.

The idea is to eventually cover other aspects of the game until Bane Shift's done 100% and there's this sort of online encyclopedia of everything Pox, though it would probably take me over a month and I also wanna start recording content for other cards games, which might delay me further.

Gnomes, Baskitkase and nepyonisdead like this.
  5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Really nice vid. That is definitely pox 101.

6. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

That's reassuring. I still have some editing to do on that piece and I'm kinda worried about the final length but with that in mind, I made the script on the other 3 shorter so they'll be under 7 minutes each...hopefully.

7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Yeah. If each vid covers a specific topic like the rune card one they could be short.

8. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

Highlight: 8min 15sec -> 8min 50sec

Durand and MrBadguy like this.
  9. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Aight boys, all vids are recorded and so is the audio though my time has been short and I haven't been editing at all. I couldn't come up with an ending or whatever but I commissioned a logo and short intro for the new channel even though it's pretty basic and the name is bland. I couldn't come up with a name so I think you'll find the new channel name amusing once it's up.

10. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

I wish I had more time to polish this but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc3b12N6VumjKt5mg5A4W970pQsUHL3b8

I'm still learning a lot about editing and video production so I think I'll just tweak stuff as I go and apply my knowledge to refine the videos later down the line. I think my spoken English's rusting too since I've been speaking Spanish like 99% of the time the past 4-5 months but hopefully this Bane Shift Bane Shift's comprehensible. Worst case scenario, I can just add subtitles or something.

11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Your English is fine. Anyone who can't understand it likely has a window for a lollipop

12. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Oh, ok. I'll try to come up with something different for next week while I figure out what to script for the next levels.

13. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

I'm taking it easy this week since I've been spending like 99% of my free time with some visitors and going through the Steam catalogue getting the most out of the summer sales. On the plus side, I have 3 scripts for some other Pox videos and have considered making separate videos on Card City Nights, Shadowverse and Duel Links. Also thinking about re-using some of the old 100ish videos from the DMrBadguy channel for this new one since the new client is....inferior to the old one. It should be enough content to sort through for examples, but it's also extra time with the editing and voice overs after I find what I need.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

19madfox95 likes this.
  15. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Ability/Condition video done.

Next up should be Cleanse/Dispel as soon as I get more time to record audio and get in-game footage. Then I'll do an AP management tutorial of sorts. I'm still toying around with the editing so it's probably sloppy in many parts. It's something I'll refine as I go, I guess.

To do:
    • Settle on a single channel intro or keep 1-2 on rotation. Trying to avoid the usual "Hey guise! (name) here. Today we're..." for now because it's one of the things I disliked about my old channel.
    • Start learning how to create attractive thumbnails
    • Work on some outro transitions. After finishing this 4th video, I realized I just end them suddenly. Not talking "plz liek and subscribe guys" stuff but I should have something prepared to end them.
    • Draft non Pox vids once I finish the basic tutorials.

Hierokliff likes this.
  16. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I say firk intros and outros, who gives a ****?

17. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

You mean the branding ones or the actual post intro in-video ones? They have some merits if you mean the later. It's just so you ease viewers into the topic and it's not some abrupt jump into it.

18. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

branding ones

19. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Oh.

20. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The card game intro is badass.

nepyonisdead likes this.