Basilisk templar

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by DukeofDunks, Jan 3, 2018.

1. DukeofDunks

DukeofDunks I need me some PIE!

Been seeing this rune a lot lately and most of it outside of draksar and beast. Seems like people are just sticking it into meta and splits and its got me confused since glancing at it doesnt really impress me. What are the SL communities thoughts on it?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. MrCharles

MrCharles The King of Potatoes

I noticed the same...maybe it's just for the Pet Stare? It seems pricey to me as well but I rarely play as SL.

3. Voidtrain

Voidtrain I need me some PIE!

Templar is really good for 80. Tank and has a plethora of synergies available to him.

4. MrCharles

MrCharles The King of Potatoes

You are correct there and I'm not going to argue that he has value and can be effective when used correctly. Maybe it just comes down to preference and speaks to my overall ability (or lack there of) as a player but I can't say this one has performed well for me. It may come down to the one range on it's base attack. In fact now that I think of I can't name a single 2x2 unit with 1 range that doesn't annoy the Bane Shift out of me. Of course as a meat shield 2x2 units have some great advantages along with the number of tiles that Pettystare can reach but I still can't get over the range.

Just jumping over to Yeti's as an example because I've played with them more recently than any other example I can think of....

There are 5 instances of 2x2 units within the Yeti theme.

Group A:

Risen Yeti
    Yeti Ancient

Group B:

Yeti Conqueror
    Ice Lord
    Yeti Ambusher

I feel like Group A is more efficient and if your running Ancient at his lowest cost you are getting an insane bargain stat wise. Risen Yeti has an excellent ability in it's Aura that covers a lot of extra tiles because it's a 2x2 and the stats are also on the meaty side.

Group B on the other hand is costlier and less of a bargain for the stats your getting (though they aren't terrible either) and I find Ambusher in particular to be too expensive to deploy about half the time I use him. I prefer most if not all of the stat lines and abilities in Group A to Group B and of course paying less for Group A sounds really nice....except for one item in particular. The range in the first group is 1-1 compared to 1-2 for the second group.

I've found I greatly prefer the extra tiles provided by Group B's 1 Range advantage to the point that I ignore the rest of the considerations. I force myself to use at least one Ancient because Escalating Rage is one of my favorite abilities but I can't bring myself to include more than one from the Group A guys.

I suppose it all comes down to being good at positioning in order to limit the weakness of the champs in Group A but it's not something I've been able to work around effectively to date. Of course I'm currently on far high end of the rankings so there's a lot of things I haven't been able to do effectively since my return to the game.