Boon's Eve campaign on Legendary

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by Gaedel, Nov 3, 2015.

1. DonK101st

DonK101st Well-Known Member

hmm I'm pretty new to this version of pox. I played a long time ago, but everythings new to me now. I've got no problem with the way this campaign is set up. It's certainly a challenge and I like it that way. I beat it on normal and can kill the master of bones on legendary the first time around with really a very basic deck with firks and other ranged, just rush him and ignore skeles. Pretty easy killing him the first time...

It's killing him the second time thats getting me right now, because when he respawns hes behind a bazillion skeletons. Really like the look of Klauds deck and it sounds pretty fun. Might have to build that one...

2. rheinhart

rheinhart I need me some PIE!

They are a headache lol

3. rheinhart

Finally got it soulthirster with 148 attack got killing blow^^How many blood owls can I get?Is it 1 per year or unlimited til the nov 2nd date?

4. DonK101st

OK... Need a little help please. How can I increase damage output for IS? Put together a decent bg with Zedin leading the charge. Skeles wont attack him because of intimidation, so hes good at killing them. The problem is theres so many! Gallows warden works well too with his ae fright thing. But other troops are commonly leaving skeles with 5 or less hp, dont know how many times Ive knocked them down to 1hp and couldnt finish them off. @#$%%! Killing the master of skulls the first time is easy, but then I have to work through the boneyard. Even using 2 pantier headhunters upgraded with stealth and assassinate I rarely get within range to use it the second time around. rheinhart how did you get assassinate so high? Or at least increase damage across the board. I have the IS standard. Anything else?

I'd really like to do this with IS. Failing that a protectorate BG.

oh... also is there a way to fast forward/skip past the dialogue? Thats the only part I'm not enjoying anymore. :p

5. rheinhart

Their is a fast foward arrow bottom right took me awhile to figure that out on my own fast fowards dialogue only press it one time(little lag) or you can accidently hit it again and "end turn"lol.Also I ran a circus deck I used bad blood to get rid of spawns and soulthirters got +1 per spawn death and I had bloodstained claws equipped to 2 soulthirters so +5hp and +1 damage per spawn death^^It will be very hard and maybe impossible to do it with a ff IS unless you're Tiny btw lolI ran Vothsair Ireguard cause of arroweater (range units can't hurt him).Snowstrike units (snare fairy,blizzard elemntal ,jakei frostseer (make sure to upgrade abilities)(stop opponent from moving except the blood owl and maybe elites?).Also ran 2 bloodthirsty blades but never had to use them but more of a failsafe if something goes wrong you're impervious to damage for 6 turns^^

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    DonK101st likes this.
  6. DonK101st

Thanks man. Just got home from working out of town all week. That arrow to bypass the dialogue will sure make grinding this thing more enjoyable. Looks like the only protectorate champ with soul siphon is voodoo shamfie. So I picked him up. Going to see what I can do with him and some snow strike units alongside a majority of IS.

7. DonK101st

Almost got him with a FF IS group of barbs! Zedin w/Pride of Sarnghaver almost killed him. Got lucky on his respawn after killing him the first time, but not lucky enough... If I had one more champ in the area I could have done it. ugh. So tough with FF IS. Anyone able to do it yet FF IS?

8. rheinhart

I thought after nov 3rd you wouldn't get the free rune anymore?Kinda pointless now unless you just wanna beat it with ff IS to say you did lol

9. DonK101st

hmmm didnt read that anywhere. Maybe so...? I was told once I bought the campaign I could beat it at my leisure...

10. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I'm 95% sure you can beat it whenever and still get the rune.

11. DonK101st

I think so. There are older campaigns for sale that advertise a LE rune upon completion on legendary. Hope so anyway, otherwise I'll shelve this sucker and spare myself the anxiety!

12. rheinhart

The Boon's Eve campaign will be available on the Pox Nora Marketplace from October 19th to November 2nd. This is a seasonal campaign that if completed on Legendary difficulty will award a Limited Edition Blood Owl Rune

Ya you're right I was thinking the rune would only be availiable til nov. 2nd but I guess it's the campaign being on sale my mistake.

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. Varthas

Varthas I need me some PIE!

On the first mission i used ff FW skeleton deck, voidhowlers ftw! Xulos for global dmg, aswell as enemies own splits to set it up. 2x Blackblade Barons(#surge), 2x Tomb Lords(#surge) & 2x graveyards, and 2x Bone traps for stall. Reapers blade for backup. Also as already been said, try gang up on the boss and stay in/out of his range works good. These mobs are so aggressive i never needed to sacrifice a howler to get summons, so i never took any spells/relic/champs with that ability, but it might be better to have the options to do it more controled.

On the second mission i used the same deck, decay will be useful on last boss but i managed without it, i had enough to oneround him once he engaged.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  14. haroldkin

haroldkin I need me some PIE!

Just completed Boon's Eve stage one on Legendary with the following deck:

[​IMG]

Skeleton's will totally ignore the Physical Immune units. Maneuver Peak's Ifrit in close to the Skull Master to keep him locked down and forced to spend AP to move. It's possible to kill with the Ifrit, but takes time. Time Slip can help get the Ifrits across the board after the first kill.

Equip Muckers with Mirrored Shield and put them in firing range of Skull Master as a decoy. They only take 12 damage a hit from the Skull Master, and then regenerate to full hit points next turn. Just don't let them get surrounded by skeletons as they can't withstand being battered on all four sides. Best to get them to the center font where they have some protection from the skeletons.

Taint for the Exorcist to conserve his AP for movement and attacks. Sandstorm to reduce skeleton attack. Gale Force to move skeletons out of the way to allow Ifrit's to get to Skull Master.

The rest is pretty much filler and I keep changing it around.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  15. PoxAurora

PoxAurora The King of Potatoes

I like these sort of helpful posts and figured I'd add to it. For Boons #1 on Legendary, this worked -
    upload_2022-9-13_23-58-54.png

You likely won't be able to do anything but grab the right font - the others will fall pretty fast if you divert resources to them and you could lose those units. The healing champs and the ankh can help keep your tanks/etc up. The lavaspouts could be helpful to holding your font and/or delaying skeletons while you setup - you will never have a ton of nora. The lava damages the skeletons and you can replicate a few. They're basically giant aoe's while they're alive, but the skeletons will eventually overwhelm them. The nora mines and hate leech have obvious uses, as does the molten cloaks that helps a unit to survive the cataclysm (and the lavaspout lava). The calcify units (& Zoalt) are there to help delay/occupy the skeletons - they do a really good job of that. The maddening echoes can be handy if you really need to clear out some damaged skeletons to maneuver. Keep your healers alive - beware the boss's range and surge/soulstrike. It's nasty. The barricades are super helpful - they can delay a horde of skeletons if positioned right for quite awhile when holding the right font (with the spouts) and/or can be used to pin the master after the respawn. Deep leviathan with the abuse charged equip will help setup the board clear pretty easy. The Exorcist has low hp - but he is super useful because if you keep him at range and plink away at skeletons he turns into a beast. Use righteous deflection to protect units from the boss (especially the exorcist) or get a nasty riposte in with the Exorcist on the boss. Use Mark to buff a few key units if needed. Sacrifice if you really have to on Exorcist to keep from losing (or to get some nora back on a delaying unit). I did stick the inquisitor in for immune psychic just in case. You may have to play this a couple of times to figure out what positioning works - you won't need all of these components every game for sure. You'll also likely lose the right font eventually - holding that is a bit of a delaying action until you've got your Leviathan setup with healers/molten cloaks - that's fine as the boss respawning there could make for a quicker game. I'll emphasize again that the Exorcist becomes a total beast. Basically use the deck's components to the fullest to delay the skeleton hordes until you can get the right combo out then clear the board as needed.

I won't pretend this is the best deck or strategy, but it definitely works.

For unit shard cost & rarity - the Grundlewolf Alpha is a leg - you can replace with a Deep Elf Masochist (who actually may be a better choice). The inquisitor is an exo - could replace with a Drunken Thug I think. For Zoalt - maybe a Fire Giant. I definitely would not feel like you have to craft any of the exo/leg for this BG - zero guarantee they're superior choices - they're just what I threw in because they seemed like they would work.

For Boons Eve #2 on Legendary - This deck also works just fine. You won't need to use the leviathans to clear anything. Just roll out your standard tanks and healers. The barricades work wonders around the boss to keep him occupied at all times. Zoalt with majestic is helpful when you do engage the boss - I'd run in with calcify units first, then bring in Zoalt. Once again, build up the exorcist and he will end up your main damage dealer. You can use the matrons and mark of righteousness to end up with a pretty powerful Zoalt too. The campaign is pretty trivial like this. Unlike the last one, you can easily grab every font. Once you do, the boss just keeps respawning at the opposing shrine.

For Boons #3 on Legendary - I went with something like this -

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  16. PoxAurora

PoxAurora The King of Potatoes

For Boons #3 on Legendary, I went with this -
    upload_2022-9-14_5-0-15.png

The blood raven is immobile and impervious until the end - beware his ranged, he will attack things. Stay out of it. For the Gremlins - I'd go for the right font - use barricade to help slow them down if you have it, if not Zoalt can work. They're a bit random in how they disperse to take the side fonts and then come at you. Just get out some stuff to take them down (ranged works well) and maybe a healer if you need to. Some flying 7 speed will help circle around the map and take the fonts - I like to use Harbs, maybe Zoalt. The AI likes to focus on barricades when it shouldn't - use that to your advantage the entire game. Avoid tossing the reaper blade on any champs yet - you'll not want to put the blades out until after the ravens. After that you get the slasher mob - he's pretty nasty and can hit at ranged sometimes. I find it best to use both essence drains on him, then take him out from extreme range. Like the other games, the exorcist is a star unit. After him you'll get the ravens. They're thick and spawn in a 3-deep line horizontally across the center of the map. Use the ice storms to take out most of the ravens - your mob circling around the map should be on the left font - this can take out most of the western ravens. On the right, you can take out the eastern ravens. That leaves some in the center - plink at those with your ranged. You should have positioned your deep leviathan on the east font - toss your mail and a mark on him and gather at least 15 charges as you thin out the ravens - make him the target by retreating other mobs. Heal if necessary. Once you have 15 charges, you're good to go. Drop the molten cloaks on the exorcist and Zoalt. You can leave 1 raven up - even barricade it, or the weakened boss. Heal up and position half your units on the north side of the map - east of the west font. The other half units sort of NE of the center font. Leave space around the Center font and get full ap - then kill the last npc. This triggers the Things. There are 5 of them - they will infest and kill a mob when they get close & have the ap - then that respawns them. Beware that if they have infested one your champs, but no things are on the board - that this will trigger the next phase. You'll then have that boss and a thing that spawns when the infested mob dies. You can sacrifice one of the mobs if you must. The best tactic I found was to drop a cataclysm. This will put them at about 40hp. You could drop a 2nd one if you want but you're gonna lose most of your healers. If you only drop 1, heal up - especially your ranged (harbs). Toss reapers blades on them - use them to take out 2 of the things, and hopefully the exorcist can take out a 3rd. If you can, barricade the others and retreat until you can finish them off from ranged. At worst you're probably going to get a single infest - which you can then position around to 1-round it. If any of the things aren't on the board - this triggers the next boss. She does an immediate board-wide distract - so beware that you won't be able to heal that turn or such. She's got decent range - retreat and bait her out of the center font area. Use any drains you have - then reaper her down from ranged in 1 turn. This triggers the Blood Owl finally. As a final boss, any drains you have are only going to do 30dmg just FYI. Use your melee and even barricades to distract him while dropping him from range with the exorcist and reapers. This is a good spot to use righteous deflection (or impervious if you swap it in).

You can substitute non-exo/lim/leg runes for the harbs - just look for a max range of 6 or higher and 7 speed is rather nice. I really like Zoalt with majestic, 7 speed, flying, and fury - You can keep him up most of the game - I only lost him at the end. I'm not sure of a great substitute, I'd probably tend to pick a flying ranged unit or something with teleport+ranged. He's a cool champ so may be worth using some shards to forge him.

I'm not sure what I'd change in this deck - I used all the healers a ton. You could probably take out the marks - but I really liked the spot use of them. Could probably also take out a leviathan+barb combo - you really only need 1 if you know how to keep him safe & healed. I got to 30 charges before killing the last raven and debated taking out the Things with two cataclysms, but ended up just using 1. You might be able to add some fire immunity or fire eater units in the deck to double cataclysm the Things and have more units on the board (it's a long game and I don't feel like re-playing it just to experiment with a variant). The nora mines might be able to go - they provide some help in the mid-game, but by the end you're gonna have a ton of nora. Impervious might have some uses throughout, as might a spot distract or two (on the things). Play with it and find what you like.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022